E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
ruan916

My Ride: 2002 325i
Question lifting when sore

Starting lifting recently (lots of motivation from this sub-forum ) to get in shape and get that lean muscular look; plan is to lift 3 days a week.

Question as to lifting weights when sore. For example, I lifted on Monday and Wednesday, I am still sore. Should I wait for the soreness to subside before lifting again, or should I continue lifting, albeit at a lower weight?
ruan916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
AmazingNutz
Banned User

My Ride: carpet
Keep lifting, your body is gonna get used to the heavy weights.

Sent from my G6
AmazingNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
May I ask why you are doing a 3 day split?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Keep lifting......masturbate after every heavy lifting session. It helps!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
ruan916

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
May I ask why you are doing a 3 day split?
Guess I'm not sure what you're asking. I plan on lifting Mon/Wed/Fri. Mainly compound exercises like squat, bench, pull ups, etc. Deadlift once a week on Mon. I'll probably run/hiit on Saturday if I'm up for it because I usually play basketball on that day.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Don't be a pussy and push through it
Old 02-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
I'm thinking you're sore because you've just started lifting. That'll get better as you go. Keep on truckin'.
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Darkside213

My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
Send a message via AIM to Darkside213
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post

Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
2002topasblueM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
After you exercise certain muscles for a few weeks they'll get used to it and you'll hardly ever get sore. I'd put some emphasis on core workouts on Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays too. Without core strength you won't really be able to stabilize high weight as your other muscle groups get stronger and it'll end up hindering you in the long run
2002topasblueM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
ruan916

Thx all for the feedback. Much appreciated and will keep on pushing. Will post some before/after pics when results are visually noticeable
Old 02-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002topasblueM3 View Post
After you exercise certain muscles for a few weeks they'll get used to it and you'll hardly ever get sore. I'd put some emphasis on core workouts on Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays too. Without core strength you won't really be able to stabilize high weight as your other muscle groups get stronger and it'll end up hindering you in the long run
You should never "get used" to your routines.
Don't listen to this. You should always be getting sore after your workouts
If you are not, you need to switch up your routine. Always keep your body guessing. And do not workout when sore.
There is no such thing as over-training, just under-recouperation
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
If you are not, you need to switch up your routine. Always keep your body guessing. And do not workout when sore.
I know you have the physique to back up what you say but I don't think this is true at all. I think it's a lot of bodybuilding broscience.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
DonaldE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I know you have the physique to back up what you say but I don't think this is true at all. I think it's a lot of bodybuilding broscience.
Which part?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
DylloS

Quote:
Quote:
Which part?
the bold

Last edited by DylloS; 02-19-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
DonaldE

Quote:
the bold
I'm confused at how you could possibly think this is untrue. After a month of running a mile a day, do you think you could run 10 miles?
Progression occurs with change in routine. Continually doing the same things over and over will only allow you to do those specific things better.
Your muscles will adapt to whatever activity you are doing. So in order to keep your body from adapting, change your routine.
This goes for cardio as well. Changing your cardio routine at a minimum of every 6 sessions will allow you to get better results.
Same with your diet. Carbohydrate cycles are the only way to maintain very low bodyfat percentages constantly or to continually lower body fat for that matter.

Moral of the story, it's real science...
Not bro science

Last edited by DonaldE; 02-19-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
DylloS

Quote:
I'm confused at how you could possibly think this is untrue. After a month of running a mile a day, do you think you could run 10 miles?
Progression occurs with change in routine. Continually doing the same things over and over will only allow you to do those specific things better.
Your muscles will adapt to whatever activity you are doing. So in order to keep your body from adapting, change your routine.
This goes for cardio as well. Changing your cardio routine at a minimum of every 6 sessions will allow you to get better results.
Same with your diet. Carbohydrate cycles are the only way to maintain very low bodyfat percentages constantly or to continually lower body fat for that matter.

Moral of the story, it's real science...
Not bro science
It seems like you're assuming I said someone can lift the same weight over and over and show results. I do not think that. If you think adding weight to a current workout program is "changing the workout" then I agree with you. I agree you can't make progress if you aren't pushing yourself. When you said "change your workout" I assumed you meant completely revamp it, not adding weight/distance etc. I just don't buy it that if you're not sore you're not getting a good workout. I know plenty of people that don't get very sore not matter what they do.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
DonaldE

Quote:
It seems like you're assuming I said someone can lift the same weight over and over and show results. I do not think that. If you think adding weight to a current workout program is "changing the workout" then I agree with you. I agree you can't make progress if you aren't pushing yourself. When you said "change your workout" I assumed you meant completely revamp it, not adding weight/distance etc. I just don't buy it that if you're not sore you're not getting a good workout. I know plenty of people that don't get very sore not matter what they do.
Then you know plenty of people that aren't getting a good workout.
Simple as that.
Being sore is your body repairing the damage caused by micro tears that you've incurred from working out. If you're not sore, you haven't incurred any micro tears and are not repairing anything. Or just not enough to feel it.
Again, this is actual science.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
DonaldE

I've been lifting for almost 10 years now and I still get EXTREMELY sore from a truly good workout.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
I'm glad you to read this because I'm mostly sore after a day from working out. Most guys I talk to don't get sore. Maybe bodies are different?

Quote:
Simple as that.
Being sore is your body repairing the damage caused by micro tears that you've incurred from working out. If you're not sore, you haven't incurred any micro tears and are not repairing anything. Or just not enough to feel it.
z00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
DylloS

Quote:
Simple as that.
So then I guess a lot of people i know need to double their gym time lol.