E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
DylanFulton7

My Ride: E53 X5
Exclamation Rough Idle & Stall

Just recently my 00' 328Ci started to go a little funky on me . I find when coasting (no throttle just rolling) down the road or down a hill particularly I get a very rough idle, my rpm will drop right off and the car starts to spit and sputter. This all happens when I get a few warning lights on the dash (check engine, EML, traction control). If I turn the car off then start it again it runs just fine and the lights go off until I coast again . Starting today if I let off the throttle and push the clutch down when coming to a stop the car will tend to stall. I plan on taking it to my mechanic on Monday but I was just curious if anyone has had a similar issue or has any info on what the problem could be. Any help is much appreciated and if I could get this fixed myself to save myself another bill from the mechanic that would be a bonus.

Thanks a lot!

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
- Jeremy Clarkson

Supercharged 328Ci - SOLD
C32 AMG - SOLD

Last edited by DylanFulton7; 01-31-2013 at 04:56 PM.
DylanFulton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
pjdumani

My Ride: 911 but want 330i
Sounds like an air leak into the intake system. I just got finished taking care of a similar problem on my 2003 330i. My mileage is 110k and the idle problem and a few others are very predictable. Are you mechanical?
pjdumani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
DylanFulton7

I'm no professional but I know enough to get the job done. Any suggestions?

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
- Jeremy Clarkson

C32 AMG - SOLD
Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Behind your airbox are your lower intake boots, pulled them off and check them for cracks, tares and splits...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
DylanFulton7

I'll take a look at that and see how it goes. Hopefully it's nothing serious and is a simple fix like that

- Jeremy Clarkson

C32 AMG - SOLD
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
DylanFulton7

Here's a picture of what I'm working with for an air intake. I'm not sure if if helps at all but here it goes (excuse the winter time dirtiness)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359677645.935538.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	488782  

- Jeremy Clarkson

C32 AMG - SOLD
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
tiag_$edan

My Ride: tiag $edan
There could be numerous of components that is causing this problem
tiag_$edan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
Your car is supercharged?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
DylanFulton7

yes it is

- Jeremy Clarkson

C32 AMG - SOLD
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
Then you're going to have quite a few extra vacuum hoses that might be causing the problem.
Btw I'm pretty sure it's a vacuum leak. I'm suffering from the same problem. Do you ever hear a whistle/whine that isn't the charger?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
DylanFulton7

Nothing that really comes to mind for any whistles or whining at the moment. I'm really baffled by this, I mean it runs great for the longest time then it starts to do this out of the blue...

- Jeremy Clarkson

C32 AMG - SOLD
Old 02-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Op.. why wouldn't you first read any error codes that may be stored in the car since your ses and eml lights come on? That will be more useful to you than random guesses from forum members that cannot see your car.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
DylanFulton7

Well like I said in my original post I'll be taking it to my mechanic on Monday. I don't have a scanner to do it myself so I'll have to find out what codes I'm getting then. I just figured I'd ask to see if anyone else has had this problem and what it's cause was.

- Jeremy Clarkson

C32 AMG - SOLD
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
taveet330i

My Ride: Jet Black 2002 330i
Happened to me too. I replaced idle control valve, throttle body and gasket, vaccuum lines, and intake manifold gasket and it all runs fine. Not a hard do it yourself. There are plenty of how to's on here

[bimmerapp]

Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFulton7 View Post
yes it is
Everybody that owns both a car and a screwdriver/wrench should also own an OBD II Scan Tool.

There can be any number if things wrong with this car, starting with the Super Charger. The SC is cool, but people that have them really need to know how they work, and what they impact when they don't work right. I don't know these things, but I haven't got one so I'm okay with my ignorance.

You can have vac leaks, a MAF that's not working right, fuel delivery system issues, throttle body problems, and since all air intake must pass through the SC, then you need to diagnose that first. The SC is a component that the OBD II system does not monitor, so malfunctions here might not percolate through to the computer, and trigger an OBD II code/fault. If the Check Engine (SERVICE ENGINE SOON) light is not on while the engine is still running, then my instinct is that the SC is a large part of the trouble. If the check engine light is on while the engine is running, then you must pull codes before you start opening drawers that hold the screwdrivers and wrenches.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
DylanFulton7

UPDATE! my problem stopped a while back, just forgot to post about it. A chip that I had installed on the car shorted out and was constantly feeding the engine fuel as if I had my foot to the floor. I have since removed the chip and it's been running like a dream ever since.

- Jeremy Clarkson

C32 AMG - SOLD