E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
pyro225

My Ride: 328ci
Harman Kardon Retrofit

Hi all - I retrofitted all my stock speakers with a hk set and retrofitted the sub with amp too. I used the same wiring that was already there for the rest of the speakers.... it doesn't sound much better at all does it need crossovers or anything? its running from my eonon headunit
pyro225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
well there might be a little bit you can do to improve the sound quality, but the reality is the HK system isn't all that great (especially on fatigued speakers) and is not that much of a step up from the stock system. i would recommend using aftermarket speakers
jmillsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Harman Kardon Retrofit

The problem is you don't have the stock HU. Your aftermarket deck puts out amplified and possibly filtered through crossover settings and low output signals while the stock deck that goes with stock hk puts out non amplified high output signals.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
NumbaOneNewb

Harman Kardon Retrofit

Plus stock hk amp has built in crossover and the stock sub has an amplifier and crossover on it as well. They run off a 3ohm resistance while your HU possibly runs off 4 ohms making the resistance incompatible with one another
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 11-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
NumbaOneNewb

Harman Kardon Retrofit

With a stock HU that came with HK system it would sound very clean and crisp. I actually thought the hk sounded very good for a stock system
Old 11-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
jmillsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
With a stock HU that came with HK system it would sound very clean and crisp. I actually thought the hk sounded very good for a stock system
when it was new yes, it was pretty good (for its time). now, after 9 years of music, they're not so hot lol. the midranges are a joke, both of mine were blown, for god knows how long. the tweeters weren't terrible though

OP- IMHO, a 200-300 dollar set of components with a good amp is going to blow that system out of the water. and don't think you can't get sell the HK speakers (i got 50 for just my mids and midranges from some guy that wanted to put them in his Chevy truck)
Old 11-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
NumbaOneNewb

Harman Kardon Retrofit

Yeah my front mid ranges were blown too and the tweets so I got so pissed off I swapped it with aftermarket ones. Then it sounded like crap so I ripped out the HU and then still not satisfied so everything got ripped out and replaced
Old 11-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillsner View Post
when it was new yes, it was pretty good (for its time). now, after 9 years of music, they're not so hot lol. the midranges are a joke, both of mine were blown, for god knows how long. the tweeters weren't terrible though

OP- IMHO, a 200-300 dollar set of components with a good amp is going to blow that system out of the water. and don't think you can't get sell the HK speakers (i got 50 for just my mids and midranges from some guy that wanted to put them in his Chevy truck)
In one sentence you say both your mids were blown, and in another you said you sold them. ? You sold blown mids? Nice.

The HK system sounds excellent if and only if you don't blow the speakers. Obviously. Saying a system isn't 'all that great' with blown speakers is beyond the pale of stupid.

The factory BMW HK system, if not butchered, molested, or otherwise 'reeingineered' or tampered with by self-proclaimed amateur teenage audio engineers for 'hellabass', or abused with overvolume, is a fine system with accurate audio reproduction. Period. But the Sony Xplod crowd probably wouldn't like it. Too...stock for their tastes.

Somehow people are always thinking they're smarter than the BMW engineers and go fvcking perfectly good sh*t up. If your HK speaks are blown, replace the HK speaks, don't just condemn them for being blown. It's your abuse that caused them to be blown. It's not particle physics, but you still probably don't get it.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
jmillsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
In one sentence you say both your mids were blown, and in another you said you sold them. ? You sold blown mids? Nice.

The HK system sounds excellent if and only if you don't blow the speakers. Obviously. Saying a system isn't 'all that great' with blown speakers is beyond the pale of stupid.

The factory BMW HK system, if not butchered, molested, or otherwise 'reeingineered' or tampered with by self-proclaimed amateur teenage audio engineers for 'hellabass', or abused with overvolume, is a fine system with accurate audio reproduction. Period. But the Sony Xplod crowd probably wouldn't like it. Too...stock for their tastes.

Somehow people are always thinking they're smarter than the BMW engineers and go fvcking perfectly good sh*t up. If your HK speaks are blown, replace the HK speaks, don't just condemn them for being blown. It's your abuse that caused them to be blown. It's not particle physics, but you still probably don't get it.
i actually sold blown midranges, not mids. its not my responisbility to tell the buyer, as i sold them "as is" at a garage sale. he didnt have to buy them. so yeah, it is nice.

and im not comdemning them for being blown, but for the fact that they are actually a wimpy speaker (i believe its a 1.75 inch speaker? correct me if im wrong).

the reason for examining my speakers in the first place was because both of my doors rattled when the mids played lower frequencies. when i discovered the midranges were blown, i figured instead of replacing them and still having a rattle in the door, i would go aftermarket for not much more money and doing a proper install.

so you can think what you want about "sony xplod" teenagers, but im not one of them (pioneer 80prs here).
Old 11-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:

I've got the HK system and it still sounds great. PO had it garaged for most of its life (helping to keep the heat down and reduce degradation of speaker cones, etc.) and seemed like the mild-mannered type who wouldn't play it at high volumes.

Hitting that console-mounted button with the speaker icon sure improves the sound quality, which makes you wonder why it's there at all. I mean, who'd say "I think I'll switch it off and punish myself. Only when I've truly earned it will I enjoy high fidelity."

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
127K miles and counting
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
jmillsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-em-dougle-u View Post
I've got the HK system and it still sounds great. PO had it garaged for most of its life (helping to keep the heat down and reduce degradation of speaker cones, etc.) and seemed like the mild-mannered type who wouldn't play it at high volumes.

Hitting that console-mounted button with the speaker icon sure improves the sound quality, which makes you wonder why it's there at all. I mean, who'd say "I think I'll switch it off and punish myself. Only when I've truly earned it will I enjoy high fidelity."
it would be funny to see what would happen if BMW made the button do nothing, so it was totally placebo. "hey check out what this button does!"
Old 11-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
it would be funny to see what would happen if BMW made the button do nothing, so it was totally placebo. "hey check out what this button does!"
Maybe I'll hard-wire it in the On position and use the button for nitrous!

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
127K miles and counting
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
NumbaOneNewb

Harman Kardon Retrofit

Hm...... That gives me an idea....
Old 11-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-em-dougle-u View Post
...Hitting that console-mounted button with the speaker icon sure improves the sound quality, which makes you wonder why it's there at all....
Same reason HK badges are on door and rear speakers - to advertise the not-so-cheap (at the time) car option.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
RobeeJ

My Ride: E46 325i Touring
Talking of blown mid-ranges in the front doors, does anyone know of good replacements I can get in the UK for them?

TIA and apologies for the thread-jack
RobeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
pyro225

Harman Kardon Retrofit

Ok thanks guys - I have a phoenix gold qx4150 amp was going to run rcas from my after market unit to that and then use that to run the h&k speakers - should sound better right? Could someone tell me the crossover hz for the three speakers and the sub so I can set amp up?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
pyro225

Harman Kardon Retrofit

Also should I run a speaker signal or RCA signal to the mini amp in sub?

Old 11-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
pyro225

also - I ran the rear quarter speakers from standard rear signal - and they sound staticy? could do with the frequencies
Old 11-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #19
NumbaOneNewb

Harman Kardon Retrofit

Mini amp for stock sub will not take rca wires. Static is probably because your wires are crossing something it shouldn't be.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #20
pyro225

Harman Kardon Retrofit

I just piggy backed them on the wiring from the parcel shelf speakers? So you know the frequencies they should run? Should the mini amp run off a low level or high level signal?