E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #41
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
You guys are ridiculous
Trying to compare a Dynavin head unit in your car, (that mind you, NONE of you even know the specs of becuase they are nowhere to be found) to having the capability of just popping out an iPad and taking it on the go.
Then you get into an argument about apple vs. (insert other company)
This thread actually had some real merit, as i believe the Dynavins are garbage. The only cool thing about them is plug and play capability. But that only gets you a semi decent radio with almost the exact same specs as the factory OEM nav. For around a thousand dollars, I would MUCH rather be able to take my tablet out of the car and into work with me after my drive. Try doing that with your Dynavin...
There needs to be software support which doesn't seem to be there yet. Some app the does GPS/music/etc. in a very fluid, head unit like way.

Plus you need to buy the LTE version so that it has GPS.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #42
bjornh

My Ride: 320iAT
My thoughts:

- iPad Mini in custom bezel
- Jailbroken and configured to automatically turn on/off music and the device itself when the power/ignition cuts/comes back
- Audio output goes directly to a DSP with volume remote control (Mosconi 6to8, BitOne, PXA-H800)

Steering wheel control and car info is going to be a pain though. I've been thinking about the plausibility of using the RaspberryPi GPIO pins to do iBus interop and then communicate this to an iPad interface using wifi. This would be overly complex to get to work properly though. An android tablet with USB host mode and a serial driver (for the Resler iBus interface) would make things a ton easier.
bjornh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #43
Dido1904

My Ride: 330ci
Check out soundman Car audio on Youtube, those guys are really good on ipad And ipad mini installs. I have been wanting to do the same and their float mount over Bluetooth seems to be the cheapest install. This can be a very nice looking set up but you definitely need to spend some money in order to get the proper sound out of your music and clean install. Soundman should give you some good ideas, check them out
Dido1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #44
RICKDAGER

My Ride: BMW
Ipad mini in the dash sounds great.
RICKDAGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #45
Bimmerkid05

My Ride: 325ci
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1403495220.839139.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	562897

I did this a while back thought I should share. I personally love it my iPad is connected to my AT&T service I have anything and everything I need on it. No need to jail break or find wifi spots. What's your opinion on it ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Bimmerkid05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #46
CJin2552

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325Ci
I don't understand why when anyone mentions Apple on any sort of board or forum, the Windows/Android fanboys come in bash the crap out of the Apple products making some huge debate about how the Windows and Android platforms are so much better this/that. The post didn't say "Finally they made an Apple based stereo system for our cars, the best or nothing."

Back on topic: It's certainly a cool idea, since it has the maps, TV, apps (Spotify, Pandora, iHeart Radio, etc.), and even internet and whatnot. However, the casing for it to be set in could be more appealing. The black box is very plain. I'd want something possibly with a tilt out and still have like a volume knob or something to make it not so plain, but that's just me.

If you decide to install it, I hope you enjoy it.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #47
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerkid05 View Post
Attachment 562897

I did this a while back thought I should share. I personally love it my iPad is connected to my AT&T service I have anything and everything I need on it. No need to jail break or find wifi spots. What's your opinion on it ?

Impressive work! I wish the screen was narrower though so the tablet integrated better.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #48
323ciandrey

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerkid05 View Post
Attachment 562897

You should make a tutorial on how you did this. I would definitely do the same in my coupe.

323ciandrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, ipad mini, radio