E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Official Obama to release Gun Control bill information thread..

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/politi...html?c=&page=1

As the time draws closer where Obama has stated he will release a gun control bill this week I think it would be good to have a single thread used for information an details of anything released. Although it may, I hope this thread doesn't turn into a direct arguement but rather information on what is being said through congress through this week and the coming weeks. I'm sure some antis will make it in here though to question the needs of gun owners.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I watched a press conference he had, he really downplayed it. He cited a very valid point IMO, that even the slightest hint has sparked a giant fear machine that has people totally on edge.

Idk what he will do, but I feel maybe a large capacity ban would be the most.

As a side note: I had no idea the past 'assault weapon ban" didn't actually ban ARs but rather certain features such as a folding stock? Is that accurate? I was far too young to remember this bill.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Assault weapon is a made up political term.
Basically... Guns that look scary. VERY little to NO attachment to increased lethality or mortality. Literally, guns that look more scary

Stupid huh?

Now things like the NFA, FOPA, etc (I disagree with most of it), regulated true assault rifles (automatic) among other things

Most times, these are kicked off by single events. Valentines day massacre, Sandy Hook, etc
And are based on emotion instead of fact or logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-15-2013 at 08:37 AM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
New York is supposed to pass the nations toughest gun control laws. AWB, one military characteristic, forced registration, 7 round limit, all magazines with 8+ rounds must be sold out of state within 12 months (no grandfathering), no online gun sales.

Glad I left that hole.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
As a side note: I had no idea the past 'assault weapon ban" didn't actually ban ARs but rather certain features such as a folding stock? Is that accurate? I was far too young to remember this bill.
The past assault weapon ban went after "assault rifles" which was defined by the type of attachments the weapons had... a folding stock, forward grip, etc.. all characteristics of a rifle like mine

But while it might look scary, is it really any more dangerous than a high powered pistol? I think not. So when you ask if they "banned" assault rifles.. they did and they didn't. Companies just changed up their line-up and made weapons that still operated similarly to those of the past but complied with the new regulations.

I imagine a high cap magazine ban will be passed (regardless of how stupid it is) and they will go after military style rifles.. I don't think the NRA is right when they say they don't need to worry.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
shwagon

My Ride: 325it 5-speed
12:00 tomorrow will be the official announcement by Obama. Up to 12 executive orders are expected. He will even have a bunch of kids by his side to help push his agenda. Im just now starting to watch the news again and it baffles me that Fox is all over this and not even a peep for CNN (for what Ive seen).
My Gun Builds: AR-15, GSG-522-SD, Saiga 308
shwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
wrighterjw10

without inserting my other political views...

the entire angle of "kids writing letters to the president" is fvcking BS. I'm sorry, but a 6 yr old has no clue about the larger picture of gun control. I'd be willing to bet behind each letter was a parent or teacher prompting them to write it.

that said, Obama has been very level headed on this so far (from what i've seen and in my opinion). I have no qualms with enhanced background check, stricter checking at gun shows, etc. Hell, contrary to many, i dont even have a problem having a 10 rd mag. But, what the fvck does any of it solve? There are already THOUSANDS of gun control laws, WTF are a handful more going to do?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Can someone point out to me where in article 2 the president has domain over the bill of rights? I keep reading it but I'm just not finding it.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
Can someone point out to me where in article 2 the president has domain over the bill of rights? I keep reading it but I'm just not finding it.

Right next to his power to control the debt ceiling, borrowing, taxation and spending. EXECUTIVE ORDER baby!!!

Where's Boner on this? The word impeachment should be being used every 5 minutes at this point.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I saw a new term today: "assault magazine"

I quite literally laughed out loud in the office.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
5ynd1cat3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Right next to his power to control the debt ceiling, borrowing, taxation and spending. EXECUTIVE ORDER baby!!!

Where's Boner on this? The word impeachment should be being used every 5 minutes at this point.
He's too busy trying to figure out which one is the shampoo.

The dude is fvcking useless. I hope to god almighty that someone draws up articles of impeachment.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Ruger will send letters to all your elected officials from POTUS down to your local congress person - on your behalf.

For free!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
1st page. This thread will go out of control, like most gun threads.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
5ynd1cat3

Wyoming is looking pretty good...write your governors!

-----------------------------------------------------
Wyoming lawmakers have proposed a new bill that would nullify federal restrictions on guns and jail federal agents attempting to confiscate guns, ammunition magazines or rounds of ammunition.

The bill – HB0104 – states that “any federal law which attempts to ban a semi-automatic firearm or to limit the size of a magazine of a firearm or other limitation on firearms in this state shall be unenforceable in Wyoming.”

The bill is sponsored by eight Wyoming State Representatives ad two State Senators. If passed, the bill would declare any federal gun regulation created on or after January 1, 2013 to be unenforceable within the state.

In addition, the bill would charge federal officials attempting to enforce a federal gun law within the state with a felony – “subject to imprisonment for not more less than one (1) year and one (1) day or more than five (5) years, a fine of not more than two thousand dollars ($2,000.00) five thousand dollars ($5,000.00), or both.”

The bill also allows the Attorney General of Wyoming to defend a state citizen from any prosecution by the United States Government.

One of the bill’s co-sponsors, Wyoming State Senator Larry Hicks, told The Washington Examiner that this type of legislation sends a message to the federal government in Washington D.C.

“It says that your one size fits all solution doesn’t comport to what a vast majority of the state believes,” Hicks explained in an interview.

Citing the Tenth and the Second Amendments, Hicks asserted that the legislation was Constitutional, adding that he fully expected it to pass in the Wyoming state legislature. Hicks said that his Wyoming constituents were upset about the looming threat of gun control coming from Washington, particularly since Vice President Biden signaled yesterday that President Obama was willing to issue an executive order to tackle the gun issue.

“They are very, very upset that we’re going to see some level of federal takeover of our weapons and abuse of our rights given to us by the Second Amendment,” Hicks stated. “Also that the federal government will bypass our legislative officials and confiscate our weapons through executive order. This gives citizens of the Western United States a great deal of concern.”

Rep. Kendell Kroeker, the lawmaker that spearheaded the bill, explained that he hoped that the federal government would recognize their constitutional rights based on the Tenth and Second Amendments.

"I think that its necessary when the federal government violates our rights in the Constitution we have to act," he explained.

The proposed legislation has received a overwhelmingly positive response from Wyoming constituents, according to the bill's sponsors - even from citizens of other states.

Kroeker said that since he introduced the bill he has received up to 50 emails from constituents thanking him for standing up for their rights.

“Most of the feedback that I have received is very encouraging," explained State Rep. Mark Baker, a fellow co-sponsor. "Many citizens from other states have contacted me stating that they are envious of our state’s initiative."

Kroeker said that he currently owns several handguns, rifles, shotguns and an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle - the model targeted by gun control proponents.

"People in Washington tend to overreact," Kroeker said. "They try to place blame on gun owners punishing in the innocent to pay for the crimes of the guilty."

Hicks explained that the model of the bill was taken from a bill passed in the State of Montana in 2009 adding that it wasn’t much different from what he’d seen other states do.

“I don’t think this is controversial in Wyoming at all,” he added. “I fully expect this bill to pass.”
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
customisbetter

My Ride: 02 325xi
^Beautiful!

Last edited by customisbetter; 01-15-2013 at 04:57 PM.
customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
wrighterjw10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
He's too busy trying to figure out which one is the shampoo.

The dude is fvcking useless. I hope to god almighty that someone draws up articles of impeachment.

so what your theory is obama is making up laws and giving himself false power...and all of washington DC is letting him get away with it?

hmm...can't follow your logic on this one.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

@5ynd1cat3 that's pretty awesome.

I second the ruger site. Adam showed me it this morning and I sent the letter today.

It's a hot topic on guns.com. http://www.guns.com/2013/01/15/ruger...-now-campaign/

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Quote:
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.

Last edited by MpoweredM; 01-15-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
NOVAbimmer

Email back from my state legislator
[quote]Dear Mr. Jensen,

Thank you for your recent e-mail concerning the direction the federal government is taking as it relates to gun control measures.

I appreciate your thoughts on this issue. Your concern and opposition to some of the legislation dealing with gun control especially at the federal level is well taken. I have always been in full support of the Second Amendment Right to keep and bear arms. Any gun legislation before this session of the Virginia legislature will be carefully reviewed by the Militia, Police and Public Safety committee or the Courts of Justice committee. Since I do not sit on these committees I will certainly look at the bills with great scrutiny should they come before the full House of Delegates for our approval. As bills go through the committee process, changes are made that I sometimes can or cannot support. Please rest assured that I will do all that I can to preserve at the state level our Second Amendment rights.

Again, thank you for contacting me. You may follow all legislation on the official Virginia state website at http://virginiageneralassembly.gov.

Sincerely,

Robert D.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #19
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

Just received a response also...

Quote:
Dear Mr. *****,

Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts on the tragic events in Newtown, Connecticut and your views on gun control.

On December 14, 2012, 20 innocent children and six adults lost their lives in one of the worst, most tragic shootings to ever occur in the United States. As a parent of three daughters, this was the ultimate nightmare. Like the Virginia Tech and Columbine shootings, this tragedy unfolded in what was once regarded as a safe haven free of crime and violence: a school.

I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms. I own firearms and I have an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association. However, I also recognize that, like with many of our constitutional rights, our Second Amendment rights are not without limits. It is unfortunate that a tragedy of this magnitude is what is needed to prompt action, but we need to have a serious discussion on how to best avoid these kinds of mass shootings in the future. The status quo is not acceptable.

I believe our discussion should cover many issues. We can start by improving the existing criminal background check system. Currently, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is woefully incomplete, with many states failing to submit available records on persons who may be disqualified from purchasing or possessing firearms. With a more complete background check system, we can keep firearms out of the hands of those who have been deemed unfit to possess them.

In addition, we can take common sense measures such as passing the CAMPUS Safety Act (S. 3682), which I introduced last year. That bill would establish a national center for campus public safety within the Department of Justice to serve as a resource center and assist schools and universities in developing campus safety plans and threat assessment tools. We also need to look at changes to our mental health system so we can provide help to those with dangerous mental illnesses before it is too late. There will not be a single solution, but all of these issues and others need to be part of the conversation and I urge you to continue to express your views as we move forward.

Again, thank you for contacting me. For further information or to sign up for my newsletter please visit my website at http://warner.senate.gov.

Sincerely,
MARK R. WARNER
United States Senator

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #20
NOVAbimmer

I got that same letter from Senator Warner's office the other day. Was disappointed.