E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
mmerlina

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Strange wobble/noise at certain speeds

Hey everyone, before I just jump the gun and assume my rotors are warped, I wanted to see if anyone else maybe had some other insight on what my problem may be.

I only have the problem between 70-80mph, and not always.. (however it's more often than not). Sometimes its worse than other times.. sometimes it's just noticeable, and other times it's like holy crap what is that...

Without being able to jump around the vehicle and try to figure out which corner it's coming from, I don't really know where it's originating.. I'm usually doing 75 at the time.

I've had warped rotors in other cars and usually when you step on the brake at higher speeds you'll feel a nasty pulsing feeling and you know the rotors are messed up. This is really not the case here.. stepping on the brake does not really amplify the problem like I thought it should.

Also, I just replaced the front passenger's hub assembly because I originally thought a shot bearing was the cause.. not the case cause I still have the problem. I also just replace my front control arm bushings last year with the Powerflex Urethane ones, so I don't think that's my issue either.

Any help on what else I can check would be awesome, and thank you very much!

Last edited by mmerlina; 02-01-2013 at 03:35 AM.
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Start with wheels and tires, as very often, speed dependent vibrations that you can drive into and out of, turn out to be balance. Spin the wheels slowly and look at the rims for a hop (a flat spot), especially on the inside rim where the wheel is softer and flat spot is harder to see.

You might have just lost a wheel weight too. But, if you see a flat spot, even if the wheel can be balanced, I'd move that wheel to the rear...hoping you're not staggered...though you probably are, right?

Anyway, start there. Tires do also themselves have issues...and if you have a flat spot on wheel, the tire may also have a messed up belt inside...don't really know how you check that other than to remove tire and look. I'd start there before replacing components.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
mmerlina

I think I am going to take your advice and start with the wheels/tires. I've been researching prices on new rear tires for a few days now because they are pretty much ready to be replaced. So I will also get a front/rear alignment and make sure they balance all everything for me. That way if it turns out not to be the problem, at least all that is ruled out of the equation.

I always wondered what would cause something to shake only "sometimes", I guess there are a lot of variables when it comes to wheels/tires like speed/temperature/psi/etc.. so I'm sure all that lining up a certain way has something to do with the "sometimes".

I really appreciate the response! For some reason right off the bat my mind always wants to believe that something is broken.

EDIT: oh and yes I am staggered.. I never realized how hungry for rubber the rear end of an m3 is.

Last edited by mmerlina; 02-01-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
mmerlina

Hey I'm back again. I got new rear tires, and had all 4 balanced.. but the shake is still there, still only at certain higher speeds though. For some reason I'm convinced that it's coming from the passenger's side front.. when my wife is in the car I have her put her hand on the floor when it's happening and she says it really feels like it's from there. It's hard to tell while driving as I'm sure everyone knows, but for some reason I'm convinced it's over there.

The other thing that's happening (this is minor and silly, but it might be related) is when I back into my parking spot at work every morning, when the wheel is turned slightly and I'm backing up, I can hear a squealing from that wheel. I had one of the workers stand next to the car while I was backing up and they said it's definitely coming from that wheel.

I don't know if that helps with what the problem may be or not..
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
butthead123

My Ride: e46 m3
Sounds like your tie rods are going. Check for tie rod play.
butthead123 is offline   Reply With Quote