E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Feedback on Meyle HD CAs and CABs wanted

Finally, after over 100K miles and maybe as many as 244K miles, I'm replacing my control arms.

I've read all the talk, but haven't heard long-term feedback on the CA or the CABs.

I'm thinking of staying Lemforder on CAs and Meyle HD on bushings...but, I'm curious, has anyone cut into a meyle to know it's not fluid filled?

Also, anyone install these on Lemforders without any issue?

I'm looking at bmaparts and they don't have control arms with bushing installed, that I can see, other than Meyle HDs...so interested in that whole setup too. Has anyone have Meyle stuff fail on them sooner than expected?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
TitaniumCranium had 80k on his Meyle CAs/CABs and that was like two years ago. The bushings, AFAIK, are solid (not fluid filled)

The earlier Meyle stuff (around 06-08) was prone to failures but their newer designs, IMO, are pretty solid. you won't regret it!

Best combo, regardless of price, IMO is ///M arms and Meyle HD CABs

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
dmax

You mean M arms are cheaper? And, sorry, but are these also known as ZHP arms?

In any case, you know I've been fine with my POS OE Lemforders and know they've gone 100K and would probably keep going to be honest but I've got something going on up there, so while doing hubs and CABs anyway, I want to finally get to the arms.

I wish someone would make a link to stuff on just suspension! LOL

I'll study your thread, now that I'm close to this. Do you know if bma would sell lemmie arms with meyle hd bushings, or are those sets put together at the factory, do you know?

Thank you Mango...I knew you'd help!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
You mean M arms are cheaper? And, sorry, but are these also known as ZHP arms?

In any case, you know I've been fine with my POS OE Lemforders and know they've gone 100K and would probably keep going to be honest but I've got something going on up there, so while doing hubs and CABs anyway, I want to finally get to the arms.

I wish someone would make a link to stuff on just suspension! LOL

I'll study your thread, now that I'm close to this. Do you know if bma would sell lemmie arms with meyle hd bushings, or are those sets put together at the factory, do you know?

Thank you Mango...I knew you'd help!
No I meant that if price was not a concern, I'd go for ///M (ZHP) arms and Meyle HD bushings. But the ZHP arms cost something like $200 more than the Meyle HDs for basically no justifiable benefit. Are your balljoints leaking or clunking?

Make sure you get new GENUINE nuts!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
dmax

Okay, well I think I'm sold on the meyle bushings...so a follow up question, they sell them separately, not in the bracket...they say I need a new bracket, but do you know that they wouldn't fit in OE lemforder lolipops?

Also, you said in your thread to only mount the bushing right at the end of the control arm...and I'm sure I've seen them pushed up a good bit more...sort of figured they move to proper position after getting put down on the ground (which is why we lose those rings on OE bushings, I guess).

Finally, I believe that one ball joint nut is a pita to get at without a ratchet open ended wrench. You know the one...believe rt. outer balljoint? If so, you recall the size of that? If I decide to DIY this, sounds like that would be very handy to have.

Can't wait...about time I refreshed it!

A recent set

Old 02-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well I don't have long term review as I sold my 323Ci. but I was very happy with my Meyle HD ca and cabs. not to mention they have a long warranty.

Meyle HB cabs are not filled with oil. but they are full rubber for a sportier feel.
if you want the most comfort in the switch, go oil filled. but the non-oil filled for the record were not harsh at all imho

if you have 100K on these and think they are still good I think you're in for a surprise. i am sure you will feel and instant upgrade in turn in response to avoid beagles no matter what you go with
Old 02-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
On Meyle HD FCABs you can change the bushings only as well.
But initially you have to purchase bushing career. Buy ones with the bushing pre-pressed.
Meyle HDs come with new nuts.
I believe there are two kinds. 60mm and 66mm, the later is the upgraded one.

Have you checked RMeuropean and fcpeuro? I am not where I got mine from, but was from one of them.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
dmax

Thanks guys. So 66mm would fit mine, or are they all 66mm now? Guess just a little extra cushioning, huh?

I remember getting CAs on my e36 and recall it was a big difference...can't wait!

A recent set

Old 02-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
Eliott's-BMW

My Ride: E46 3-Pedal Mafia
Quote:
Finally, after over 100K miles and maybe as many as 244K miles, I'm replacing my control arms.

I've read all the talk, but haven't heard long-term feedback on the CA or the CABs.

I'm thinking of staying Lemforder on CAs and Meyle HD on bushings...but, I'm curious, has anyone cut into a meyle to know it's not fluid filled?

Also, anyone install these on Lemforders without any issue?

I'm looking at bmaparts and they don't have control arms with bushing installed, that I can see, other than Meyle HDs...so interested in that whole setup too. Has anyone have Meyle stuff fail on them sooner than expected?
I ain't reading all that! ^^^
But yeah I have Meyle HD control arms with Lemforder bushings and still great after 10k miles (nice and tight)

"May GOD grant you DOUBLE the amount you wish upon me!"
Eliott's-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Thanks guys. So 66mm would fit mine, or are they all 66mm now? Guess just a little extra cushioning, huh?

I remember getting CAs on my e36 and recall it was a big difference...can't wait!
Yes, from what I read the 66mm is the upgraded one.
The older careers only held 60mm bushings.
But since you are going to buy the new careers, buy the 66mm careers and the bushings for the same.

Sorry cant help you one the CAs.

I have the meyle HD FCABs right infront of me and can tell its more sturdy.
I am waiting for the weather to get a little warmer before I do the suspension bits.

I have Meyle HD M3 RSMs, M3 RTABs with limiters and FCABs waiting to be installed. May be I will just order the CAs as well if they give out by the time I install these, but for now my old ones are fine.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
Dmax, my hd bushings arrived today ill be in cnj to install tomorrow, if you want a before and after ride swing on by.
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
tech4tech

My Ride: e46, 325i
I didn't care for the Meyle HD FCABs and wish I had got the Lemforders-- too much road noise
tech4tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
HallisterJ1

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2003 M3
I run Lemforder's FCAB's. Shop installed them for me around 5k miles ago, they're amazing. I just can't wait to replace my blown front struts to really play with it. Go with Lemforder! The shop I go to swears by it and won't install Meyle FCAB's on any BMW that comes in.

Shop: Marco Polo Independent BMW & Mini Service.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
You'll have more road feedback in the form of vibrations in the steering wheel from the Meyle FCABs. It's nice, but slightly annoying at the same time. I know personally am okay with it most of the time, but it makes it difficult to determine if your tires are out of balance. If the vibrations feel random, your wheels are probably good. If they feel like some sort of pattern, they're probably ready to be balanced.
Depending on the type of road, overall it is not too intrusive. I'd put the vibrations on par with the ZHP suspension as a whole, so it fits my car fairly well. I'd love to keep using lemforders, but the ZHP setup will kill them way too fast.

Last edited by Zell; 02-01-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Doug

I have almost a full Meyle HD front end setup - FCAs, FCABs, sway links, sway bushings and tie rods. I also have Meyle RTABs. I DIY'd everything.

I originally had factory M-sport II (I think you guys refer to it as ZHP) and I'm very happy with the results after about 15k miles.

The Meyles FCABs are definitely solid rubber.

There's more road feel meaning that there's a little less dampening and comfort compared to OE and OEM like the lemmies.

I would recommend this setup to anyone.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Sent from my V9 using Bimmer App

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
I have Meyle HD control arms and bushings since 2009 and 80,000 km ago.
Only thing worn out is the driver's outer ball joint, which I just replaced at mechanic today. All others joints are okay

It was hell of a job to press the old one out without removing the whole arm from the car.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #17
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
If you go with the Meyle HD, then get them from BMA or OEMbimmerparts. They have the lowest pricing, and free shipping. I have a set of the Meyle HD control arms, which have not been installed yet, as you are well aware. But they certainly look to be more heavy duty than the OEM control arms, plus they have the removable ball joints. Mango made this post about a year ago, so I am assuming that he is still riding on them. So Mango, how are they doing?
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=841749
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #18
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
I put the Meyle HD's on my car 10k miles ago and I've loved them. Hope to get a good life out of them before they need replacing. I paid $300 from BMA Parts with the specE30 code but last time I checked they went up $20 or $30. Definitely worth it.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #19
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
These 2 posts by SLO Town show a way around getting at that inner ball joint, and are one of the slickest methods for removing the control arms I have ever seen. He is the master.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...2&postcount=15

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...1&postcount=21
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #20
dmax

Interesting discussion. I'm glad some of you mentioned the relatively stiffness of the meyle bushings. I guess I'm not surprised they're noticeably stiffer, but that does make me wonder about those who get poly bushings for the street!

It's nice that bma sells them with bushings installed, but I wish they had lemforders with bushings mounted. Maybe I'll call and ask. Also, might be I'll get a better price from Worldpac.

Slotown's technique is great...although not many diyers have an engine support, not such an expensive tool...but at that point, I'd just take it to my shop.

Sounds like just a couple here wish they'd gone Lemforder, which, once again, makes me think OE is probably going to be best for me, though I don't like that the OE bushings 'pop'; I'll have to see how old mine are...I'm thinking maybe only 3-4 years.

So does anyone happen to know where the date stamps are on CAs, assuming they're there somewhere. I really want to know if my CAs are original or not, though I'd be shocked if they were.

A recent set