E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #21
tech4tech

My Ride: e46, 325i
Engine support bar from Harbor Freight is about $60 + $7 s/h, maybe less if you can find the 20% off coupon.

I didn't use the engine support and just unbolted the CA's individually. The outer ball joint nuts are easy to get to. The driver side inner ball joint nut is easy to get to from the top of the engine bay with a long extension. That leaves just one tricky nut to undo -- inner ball joint on the pass. side.

For ball joint separation don't use the pickle fork. This is what you want, and it makes the job stress-free:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html

I am thinking of switching the CABs back to Lemforders to get back the smooth feel of the ride; Meyle HD CABs are just way too jarring for my taste.
tech4tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #22
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
^what he said about the engine support bar. I have a 20% off coupon, if you want it. I also have a brand new, never used engine support bar that you are welcome to use, but the shipping back and forth would be about what you would pay for the Harbor Freight bar, with 20% off. Of course, if you come to NC....

If your CA's were replaced, they would have put in the 66mm FCAB's, most likely. I seem to remember that BMW was replacing the smaller FCAB' with the larger 66mm ones as part of a service bulletin. Maybe I am wrong about that though. But yours would have had the 60mm bushings from the factory.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 02-02-2013 at 11:59 PM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #23
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
Love the hds made the car feel right.
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #24
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I never tried the arms, but I didn't like the bushings. They transmitted more vibrations that I was willing to accept. Felt like I had an unbalanced wheel (I didn't). Unfortunately the value line kit for the ZHP/M-Sport II arms + bushings had a major price increase.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 02-03-2013 at 12:09 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #25
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
SLOtown's method is great, no doubt, but is unnecessary, really. Trust me the inner balljoint is child's play. just need extensions. don't even think about it.

As for Meyle's being too stiff, don't forget the stock e36 m3 bushing is solid rubber. probably even stiffer due to having much less rubber. in my opinion there's really no concern with the extra feel you get. i like it. still feels well damped while being direct. just keep in mind the OE bushings are also great will be less durable and you might be in there changing them out fairly soon.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I keep going back and forth on my thinking...my oe cabs did seem to fail within a couple of years...so that's a vote for the HDs...though I'm thinking of sticking OE lemforder arms...can't go wrong with them...they've been good to me!

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #27
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
The Lemforders are great, they just don't last long enough. I wish someone made an FCAB with poly-like durability and OE levels of vibration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0e3o7 View Post
Just keep your lil boy zell on a leash; a proud self proclaimed TROLL
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #28
RGO325CiC

My Ride: '01 325Ci 'Vert
I have Meyle on my vert. They definitely transmit more road feel back to the wheel, but steering is tighter. Not sure I like the added vibration, though.

- Steel Grey Met; Sport, Power; Tanin Red leather; Myrtle trim; M steering wheel, side skirts; 330 trim; VDO gauges; LeatherZ tanin red shifter/brake boots; UUC shifter; ACS pedals, footrest, strut brace, deck spoiler; BSW Stage I, sub, iPod integration; DICE Bluetooth; V-1 with remote;Turner Injector; Sachs Sport shocks; Eibach Pro-Kit springs and sways; Stewart pump; clear lenses, usw.
RGO325CiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #29
Mango

Dmax, if you don't want to change the way your car handles/feels from factory, then stay OEM Lemforder and OE/OEM bushings. If you don't mind a little more feel/feedback and more durability and serviceability, go Meyle HD/Meyle HD.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
SLOtown's method is great, no doubt, but is unnecessary, really. Trust me the inner balljoint is child's play. just need extensions. don't even think about it.

As for Meyle's being too stiff, don't forget the stock e36 m3 bushing is solid rubber. probably even stiffer due to having much less rubber. in my opinion there's really no concern with the extra feel you get. i like it. still feels well damped while being direct. just keep in mind the OE bushings are also great will be less durable and you might be in there changing them out fairly soon.
Idk. E46 M3's is also solid rubber, and I don't get near the same steering vibrations as I did with the Meyle's on my 330
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #31
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Dmax, if you don't want to change the way your car handles/feels from factory, then stay OEM Lemforder and OE/OEM bushings. If you don't mind a little more feel/feedback and more durability and serviceability, go Meyle HD/Meyle HD.
I feeling the Lemmie CAs, but wondering about the cabs. It's funny, because I'd think that the variation in play is still very slight. If it's a 1/4" more 'play' in the OE bushings, I'd be surprised, but that might be all it takes to get a cushy ride.

We have lots of potholes around, and I get to NYC often enough where the car gets even more of a beating. Then, the question is back to my original one...is there any issue with the hd bushings on Lemforder CAs...the pin size is the same...drop of the lollipop the same?

watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #32
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Buy them. Stop typing.

Last edited by Sweetness; 02-03-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #33
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Buy them you old hoot!

PS Love you Douglas Maximus
Coming soon to a green bimmer near you! I'll probably wait until Spring. The guys in the shop work hard, particularly in the winter, so I won't bug them if I don't need to.

Thank you Sweetness! (I never told you this, but back in the day I used to call my wife sweetness. Now, I have another term for her!)

Ninja edit: I'm a very fast typist! Sorry!

Please 'friend' me!

Last edited by dmax; 02-03-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #34
Mango

you will have no problems with Meyle HD cabs on OE arms. thats what they're made for

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #35
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
We have lots of potholes around, and I get to NYC often enough where the car gets even more of a beating. Then, the question is back to my original one...is there any issue with the hd bushings on Lemforder CAs...the pin size is the same...drop of the lollipop the same?
It's made for the same 66mm spec.

I think you should be asking the question which ca bushing to go with on the Meyle HD ca's. Softer, more forgiving oe (that can fail premsturely) or less forgiving (longer lasting) Meyle HDs?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #36
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
Been searching and reading and, with 62,000 on the clock, I know i will be looking at CAB replacement soon even though all seems solid so far. Why or when would the control arm itself need replaced? Not wanting to cheap-out, I just don't understand how this triangle of aluminum would wear out. I want to the keep the car solid but don't want to replace things just for ish and giggles. Looking at this because I will, in the near future, be tackling the suspension components (sport suspension).

I lurked on the site for a long time after buying the car last year about this time and have learned a lot from researching and reading posts about PM (thanks Mango and Jfoj, another Max [Dmax], and many others). I have already replaced cooling system because I had a thermostat problem, the fuel filter, disa, lower intake hoses, trans fluid/filter, diff fluid, oil and filter, battery.
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #37
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
First day driving on them went well. I still need to get the car aligned but it feels more responsive. They are a good compromise between polly and stock
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #38
tech4tech

My Ride: e46, 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post

I think you should be asking the question which ca bushing to go with on the Meyle HD ca's. Softer, more forgiving oe (that can fail premsturely) or less forgiving (longer lasting) Meyle HDs?
^^ This!
tech4tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #39
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post

Alex, I've been on my Lemforders myself for 100K miles...before, I don't know that they'd ever been replaced (will look for date stamp). Whether they had or not, it's at least 100K miles and they're not what you'd think. They're really fine...I'm sure I'll notice an improvement whatever new CA I get.

But, why do you think I should go HD CAs and not Lemforders...if that's what you're saying. Just because they're serviceable or because of something else?

Please 'friend' me!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #40
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'd out View Post
Been searching and reading and, with 62,000 on the clock, I know i will be looking at CAB replacement soon even though all seems solid so far. Why or when would the control arm itself need replaced? Not wanting to cheap-out, I just don't understand how this triangle of aluminum would wear out. I want to the keep the car solid but don't want to replace things just for ish and giggles. Looking at this because I will, in the near future, be tackling the suspension components (sport suspension).

I lurked on the site for a long time after buying the car last year about this time and have learned a lot from researching and reading posts about PM (thanks Mango and Jfoj, another Max [Dmax], and many others). I have already replaced cooling system because I had a thermostat problem, the fuel filter, disa, lower intake hoses, trans fluid/filter, diff fluid, oil and filter, battery.
The ball joints fail. They'll wobble within the socket. It's not the arm at all.

OE CAs don't have balljoints that can be replaced. The meyle control arms do. They also say that their balljoint is all metal, whereas I believe the socket in a Lemforder may be some sort of plastic/nylon. (It is in the lemforder sway bar endlinks). But, as I said, my CAs have held up a long time, whether serviceable or not.

Please 'friend' me!