E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #61
123Shift

My Ride: 2001 325i
Mjlavelle- thanks for the info. I didn't think to read the reviews. I'll check them out. I'm lucky enough to have a harbor freight store about 15 min away. Hope it works!
123Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #62
tech4tech

My Ride: e46, 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Shift View Post
For ball joint separation don't use the pickle fork. This is what you want, and it makes the job stress-free:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html

Tech4Tech- The link to the ball joint separator says its for front wheel drive vehicles. It works on the e46 too?
Yes
tech4tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #63
123Shift

My Ride: 2001 325i
Alright- I got the ball joint separator and it worked great for the outer ball joints. Don't see how it would work on the inner joints though. Luckily after I got the outers to pop, a quick couple of whacks with a hammer popped the inners and the arms dropped out. Now I have a question. Since you can't get a socket on the inner ball joints how do I torque it to spec? I got the outers and the lollipops but the inners are another story. Any help?
123Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #64
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
If you apply 1 pound of force, 1 ft. away from the nut/bolt (using a foot long wrench)...that's 1 ft-lb.

If your wrench is 6" long, that same force equals 1/2 ft-lb.

I don't know the torque setting, but if it's 50 ft-lb and your pushing on a foot long wrench, you'd make it very tight. Imagine the force of a bag of concrete.

I think of torque as tight, really tight, and crazy tight.

Make it tight...I don't think you can make it too tight...it'll be just a few degrees you'll be turning with each pass.

Know what torque means and get as close as you can. But you want it really tight. I think it's a 21mm nut...it takes a lot of force...you won't break it.

HTH (now I'm going to get yelled at. Just watch!)

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #65
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Or you could get a 50' handle and just apply 1lb of force!

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote