E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #21
ode2joy

My Ride: is waiting
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsauce View Post
The rear springs will definitely make a difference. As you can see from my pics, the rear is a little sagged from the front due to the age, I assume.

As far as selling your touring...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Just playing. A 330 would be a nice upgrade from the 323. I was just thinking today how nice it would be to have that extra "uph" for the onramps.

The question is: do you used the touring capacity? That really dictates it. If you can fit everything in a trunk, then why not have some extra horsepower?

Of course, nice tourings are rare, but you really have to decide if you enjoy it anymore. My touring is great for me, but with 3 kiddos, drums, bikes, teaching supplies, it fits my needs. But...more power would be nice! (Hmm, there may be a swap in my future..mwahahaahah! don't tell my wife!)

Keep in mind, you KNOW this car and what has been done. New (to you) cars will always leave a learning curve of maintenance. But, that can be fun too.

Cheers!
Drumsauce, sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I wanted to answer some of your questions and post the pics of my measurements finally.
What did I not like about the H&R? It was WAY too bouncy on the street. I never bottomed out on anything, except maybe a big pothole at very low speed once, but they just jolt you all over the place. It was nice and tight on smooth roads and if I was autocrossing or anything I would've left it, but I'm not. I mostly just drive to work, run kids everywhere, etc. and when I'm in my car, I like to be comfortable. I've had OEM suspension on 2 other BMWs and for me, when it's right and I have good tires, I can throw that car comfortably into about any corner. They are incredible handing cars from the factory, and the genius is that they ride good as well. Nothing worse than a complaining wife or spilled coffee to me, so stock it will be.

Here's my measurement from the center of hub, about the same as yours I guess.

I didn't even measure the rear, since I now know I have the wrong springs. They should be here in a day or two.
Notice how much of a gap I have though?
Here is the view of my front struts in their perches, to clear up any questions about whether they are seated correctly.

Everything under there was nice and cleaned up until I got back out on the winter roads, and more rain coming.

I still have no idea if I will sell. Looks like the 330 I was after might be sold, and I'm pretty picky if I bother to change cars. I've had about 100 and I'm getting lazier as I get older.
This is still a great car and I'm not through sorting out the suspension. I'm just not sure I will be able to look at the 4x4 like that for long after having it nice and low with the H&R's. I'll have to find a happy medium.

ode2joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #22
drumsauce

My Ride: 2000 323it
No worries about the reply...as a fellow fanatic father, families take up time...lots.

Yeah, the front looks about the same as mine, maybe a little higher. But remember that getting the right rear springs will push some of the weight forward and lower it a tad bit. Even if they don't, you still have the option of getting thicker spring pads.

Amen to the comfort. I have had all the same experiences with my Bilstein PSS. Ugh...too much for me and what I do.

Cheers, man.
drumsauce is offline   Reply With Quote