E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #21
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sync Wireless View Post
I always think of the story of bill cosbys kid that got shot while trying to help someone change a tire? Im pretty sure that was the case. This is 100% the reason I will not pull over and help someone on the side of the road, though I have been stuck once or twice before and its nice to have someone help, I just feel the risks are not worth the rewards.

In this case, the situation resolved itself with words. I wonder, if I was the aggressive type, what if HE had a weapon? I always fear escalation. Yes I am a wimp perhaps..
Go with your gut on this one. Glad you got your phone back, but a phone isn't worth getting stabbed or shot over.

If I ever get robbed/mugged, they can have whatever they want. I could care less about a few hundred dollars/ a phone / a watch at that point.

Last edited by Chris3Duke; 02-03-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #22
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3Duke View Post
Go with your gut on this one. Glad you got your phone back, but a phone isn't worth getting stabbed or shot over.

If I ever get robbed/mugged, they can have whatever they want. I could care less about a few hundred dollars/ a phone / a watch at that point.
People often still get attacked after a robbery.
Who's to say the OP wouldn't have been shot in the back after he ran?

Deal with a threat head on until its no longer one

I'm less concern about losing the phone, I focused on "ill give you 20 seconds, run get outta here"

That is a verbal threat indicating violent consequences.

PS; After the OP got his phone back, he seemed to buddy buddy with the guy.
Keep your guard up OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 02-03-2013 at 08:45 AM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #23
floydlloyd85

My Ride: 2002 318 Ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I carry a gun for reasons like this. The instant he said "ill give you 20 seconds, run get outta here", I would have cleared leather.
But yeah, don't ever let a stranger get their hands on any of your property. Ever. Don't give out money, don't do anything. No good deed goes unpunished. I'm a cop, this is the truth. I have gone out of my way to help people and had complaints filed against me, been spit on and assaulted. My partner went out of his way to help a lady, and she started stalking him and then filed a complaint against him for misconduct after he reported the issue to our command and they called her on it.
90% of the senior citizens that get conned out of money in scams were just trying to help someone or what they thought was some charity or some sweepstakes money that they would have given to their grandchildren. No joke.
I have stories galore that have convinced me to never help someone out in public ever. If I want to help someone, I go through a charity or established organization that I SEEK OUT, not the opposite. People show up at my door looking for money or information, I give them a countdown to get off my property.
Americas paranoia never ceases to amaze me. No wonder the rest of the world thinks you lot are so screwed up.
floydlloyd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #24
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Not sure that's a life lesson, but it does suck.

I never approach vehicles if asked too.

If I see someone out and on the street I feel much more comfortable.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #25
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
good you made it out ok. I've been in situations like this and i still don't let it keep me from helping people. I just have a better sense of who's risky.
+1. It depends a lot on where I am though.

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 02-03-2013 at 09:01 AM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #26
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydlloyd85 View Post
Americas paranoia never ceases to amaze me. No wonder the rest of the world thinks you lot are so screwed up.
Well that is the unfortunate side of criminals preying on good samaritians and their willingness to help. Happens everyday here, so while you may call it paranoia, to us its just the reality we face.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #27
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Well that is the unfortunate side of criminals preying on good samaritians and their willingness to help. Happens everyday here, so while you may call it paranoia, to us its just the reality we face.
Don't kid yourself, that happens everywhere, it's just up to you (and the culture surrounding you that influences your decisions) to decide how you can minimize that risk and whether it's worth it to you to help others out.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Is it paranoia to not pet every snake you come across?
Nope, it's using experience and caution between a rattlesnake and a garden snake. In real life, threats aren't as easy to identify.

We don't call it paranoia, we call it situational awareness

Must be nice to live in Ireland with no crime..... Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 02-03-2013 at 09:14 AM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #29
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
I agree with JJ
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #30
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Get a CHL or carry a bar in your trunk in case you need it. I always avoid problems anyway I can. In fact, the last one was in the apartment complex. My lady and I were going downstairs to wash our clothes, I was carrying the hamper and she was in front of me with our dog when, a middle eastern jerk walked through the same pathway as us and decided to kick my dog and yelling " dog is poop, in here I am king! ". After that, my lady yelled at the idiot for kicking the dog and he yelled at her telling her our dog touched him. Man, I dropped the hamper stat and got on his ass right away. The man was some 6'4 "always in a bad mood" taxi driver, but I didn't give a flying rats a**, especially after disrespecting my loved ones, screw that. After I got in his face he walked away "and I'm 5'11", while spitting on the ground. So I understand you being afraid, it's okay, there where a few guys there vs you but, always stand your ground, if you can. If you show fear to any guy, he'll take advantage of you. What I did was never me demonstrating my courage, because it's not about that, it's about doing whatever it takes to protect what's yours, your loved ones and your family. If that ever happens again to you don't ever lend out a phone again, or pull over for anyone. And if you get a group of guys wanting to hurt you, let them feel brave, at the expense of your crowbar .
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #31
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
It was a mustang I have in stock, it is manual! I cant push it and pop the clutch at the same time!
slacker.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #32
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Hold on, some of you would pull a firearm in this situation? What if the driver was to back up and pull a way? You shoot? Wouldn't words be the best way to de-escalate a situation like this?

In any event, you can't let someone handle anything of yours that has value. In taker America, you need to be a bit more realistic about helping others
Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #33
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
Hold on, some of you would pull a firearm in this situation? What if the driver was to back up and pull a way? You shoot? Wouldn't words be the best way to de-escalate a situation like this?

In any event, you can't let someone handle anything of yours that has value. In taker America, you need to be a bit more realistic about helping others
I'm sure threatning with lethal force over a cell phone is not the intent. I had the same thought untill I read a follow up reply. It was more the "ill give you 20 seconds to run away" statement from the bad guy that caused the feeling of serious danger.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 02-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #34
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post

De-escalation is for bitches.

Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #35
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
Quote:
Huge +1.

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS

Daily: 335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
Cobb STG1+, FMIC, H&R Sport, BMW Perf Style 313

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #36
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Valencia. Filled with punk kids with nothing better to do with their time
Wtf this happened in Valencia? Ill admit there are a ton of idiots there, but I haven't seen any of them ballsy enough to do that. Maybe canyon country though. Haha
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #37
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
As soon as he said ill give you 20 seconds he'd have a gun in his face if I was OP. but if I were OP I'd have told the guy to fvck off from the start. I don't help anyone but friends/family. Don't trust anyone.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 02-03-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #38
floydlloyd85

My Ride: 2002 318 Ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Is it paranoia to not pet every snake you come across?
Nope, it's using experience and caution between a rattlesnake and a garden snake. In real life, threats aren't as easy to identify.

We don't call it paranoia, we call it situational awareness

Must be nice to live in Ireland with no crime..... Lol
We dont have snakes in Ireland. Saint Patrick chased them all out with his stick. And now that you nention it. I quite enjoy living in a crime frea area. I even pulled in an helped a guy change a wheel two weeks ago. Guess what? Didn't get shot.
floydlloyd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #39
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Im sitting in front the sprint store today waiting for my wife to bring me the jump starter (car battery died) and this ford flex pulls up with 2 guys inside in their 20s.

The driver calls out to me, and asks if he can borrow my phone. There seemed to be what looked like a wheel chair in the back where the second passanger was sitting, and I thought maybe this guy is disabled or something. I offer to dial the number for him he insists on just doing it himself.

Though I had my reservations (the guy just looked suspicious) i gave him my phone. He looks at it and tells me to run. He says "ill give you 20 seconds, run get outta here"

My knee-jerk reaction (what i did) was so immediately go around, open his door and ask for my phone back. He says "relax im just messing with you, but seriously, this phone doesnt have your name on it, im taking it".

I reply, "dude why would you do this? I was only trying to help you". after a few exchanges, and me never losing my cool, he gives me the phone back and keeps talking while i walk away. My wife arrives and I connect the jump starter while he gets out of his car and keeps talking about how i need new tires. Clearly the man is insane.

Lesson learned, I will never help a stranger again unless it happens to be a 90 year old lady. I am not risking my life trying to ***ing help someone and getting killed over it. Whats this world come to, just pathetic.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get it out there, in case one of you has a worse outcome than I did. Just not worth it!
I would have put the guy int he hospital. You are a far better man than me.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #40
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I carry a gun for reasons like this. The instant he said "ill give you 20 seconds, run get outta here", I would have cleared leather.
But yeah, don't ever let a stranger get their hands on any of your property. Ever. Don't give out money, don't do anything. No good deed goes unpunished. I'm a cop, this is the truth. I have gone out of my way to help people and had complaints filed against me, been spit on and assaulted. My partner went out of his way to help a lady, and she started stalking him and then filed a complaint against him for misconduct after he reported the issue to our command and they called her on it.
90% of the senior citizens that get conned out of money in scams were just trying to help someone or what they thought was some charity or some sweepstakes money that they would have given to their grandchildren. No joke.
I have stories galore that have convinced me to never help someone out in public ever. If I want to help someone, I go through a charity or established organization that I SEEK OUT, not the opposite. People show up at my door looking for money or information, I give them a countdown to get off my property.
OP, Because Commiefornia.