E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #81
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
What does "I would have cleared leather" mean?
I wouldn't draw in this situation. I would only ever draw if I was going to shoot and I would sure as hell not shoot this guy just for what he said.
Cleared leather means removed from holster.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #82
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Well if you own a gun let alone carry one and don't know what position 2 of a draw looks like...
Your posts about guns being a solution to everything make me feel like I'm going to get shot just for sneezing in public. This is coming from someone who likes guns.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #83
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Well if you own a gun let alone carry one and don't know what position 2 of a draw looks like...
His and my point is that drawing the gun in this situation is "inappropriate". At least that's my opinion. And yes, I do own a gun (in fact I love my gun). I just believe in not escalating confrontations and sometimes pulling a gun can heighten the situation. Obviously just revealing the holster or unbuckling it is fine IMO, but to pull out your gun and draw on him when he said "you've got 20 seconds to run" is preemptive and in many states, illegal. Again, I've got no problem (an would probably myself) unhook my buckle on the holster/reveal that I have a firearm, but I would never have drawn in THIS situation.

Last edited by ryanwhite74115; 02-03-2013 at 08:57 PM.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #84
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Cleared leather means removed from holster.
Thanks for answering.
Isn't the general rule of thumb to never draw unless you plan to fire though?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #85
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
What would you have done? Shot him in his face, taken your phone, and walked away?
Thats not how it works. You draw your gun because you were threatened, are in fear for your life, and were robbed. You then instruct the offender to lay down on the ground. You then have a split path the events will unfold.....

1) Offender obeys, you call the police, keep holding him at gunpoint until police arrive, explain the situation and then retrieve your property.

1.5) You can choose to retrieve your property and leave, but then it might look like YOU robbed the guy and bystanders may have called the police on YOU, given them your plate number, etc, and when you get home you have a rough evening ahead of you.

or

2) The offender does not comply. The offender tries to hit you, assault you, etc, at which point the physical danger is present, the threat that made you fear for your life has manifested itself, you are then within the real of a self defense shoot. You do not shoot to get your cellphone back. You are allowed to shoot if the offender tries to assault you.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #86
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Your posts about guns being a solution to everything make me feel like I'm going to get shot just for sneezing in public. This is coming from someone who likes guns.
Is liking guns kinda like having a black friend before telling an offhand joke?
Lol

Not a solution for everything, your words not mine.
When someone verbalizes a threat directly towards me,
Then yes... It's appropriate

In this thread alone, you have several firearms owners, a lawyer and a cop all agreeing
on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 02-03-2013 at 08:59 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #87
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Thats not how it works. You draw your gun because you were threatened, are in fear for your life, and were robbed. You then instruct the offender to lay down on the ground. You then have a split path the events will unfold.....

1) Offender obeys, you call the police, keep holding him at gunpoint until police arrive, explain the situation and then retrieve your property.

1.5) You can choose to retrieve your property and leave, but then it might look like YOU robbed the guy and bystanders may have called the police on YOU, given them your plate number, etc, and when you get home you have a rough evening ahead of you.

or

2) The offender does not comply. The offender tries to hit you, assault you, etc, at which point the physical danger is present, the threat that made you fear for your life has manifested itself, you are then within the real of a self defense shoot. You do not shoot to get your cellphone back. You are allowed to shoot if the offender tries to assault you.
So what if you draw your gun and tell him to lay on the ground. The guy says no, makes no physical or verbal advance towards you and just drives or walks away?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #88
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Thanks for answering.
Isn't the general rule of thumb to never draw unless you plan to fire though?
Not really IMHO. Many instances of drawn firearms often end in perps backing down. For instance, you are walking home to your house. Someone is following you. You walk faster. They speed up. You walk up your driveway, they start walking up your driveway after you...you draw, they run. Happens all the time. Brandishing is flashing your firearm for acting tough, or in a situation that does not pose a threat of crime/bodily harm.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #89
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
So what if you draw your gun and tell him to lay on the ground. The guy says no, makes no physical or verbal advance towards you and just drives or walks away?
Then you reholster, call the police, and give them as much info as you can.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #90
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Just a small note...liking guns, or even being ZOMG awesome at the range...is NOTHING like carrying a weapon for protection.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #91
mkodama

Quote:
Is liking guns kinda like having a black friend before telling an offhand joke?
Lol

Not a solution for everything, your words not mine.
When someone verbalizes a threat directly towards me,
Then yes... It's appropriate

In this thread alone, you have several firearms owners, a lawyer and a cop all agreeing
on that
and what if I'm black and live in east oakland?

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #92
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
His and my point is that drawing the gun in this situation is "inappropriate". At least that's my opinion. And yes, I do own a gun (in fact I love my gun). I just believe in not escalating confrontations and sometimes pulling a gun can heighten the situation. Obviously just revealing the holster or unbuckling it is fine IMO, but to pull out your gun and draw on him when he said "you've got 20 seconds to run" is preemptive and in many states, illegal. Again, I've got no problem (an would probably myself) unhook my buckle on the holster/reveal that I have a firearm, but I would never have drawn in THIS situation.
And this is EXACTLY why people should take carrying advice from people that know about carrying. With this type of behavior, you will likely end up in jail. That, is brandishing a firearm. You obviously feel no threat (or else you would draw) so all you are doing is exactly that...trying to show testicular fortitude of your weapon...which is a BIG no no.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 02-03-2013 at 09:04 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #93
ryanwhite74115

Quote:
And this is EXACTLY why people should take carrying advice from people that know about carrying. With this type of behavior, you will likely end up in jail. That, is brandishing a firearm. You obviously feel no threat (or else you would draw) so all you are doing is exactly that...trying to show testicular fortitude of your weapon...which is a BIG no no.
Revealing a holstered weapon in NC is not brandishing a firearm. Unbuckling is NOT unholstering...did you think I meant otherwise?

Last edited by ryanwhite74115; 02-03-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #94
ryanwhite74115

Quote:

or

Actually, you are only allowed to shoot (which is deadly force) when you are threatened with deadly force. If you are threatened with fists, it's going to be a hard argument to a jury to make that you were threatened with deadly force just with fists.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #95
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Revealing a holstered weapon in NC is not brandishing a firearm. Unbuckling is NOT unholstering...did you think I meant otherwise?
Yes it is.... If I come over to you and say "hey buddy, thats a sweet e46 man, I have one too. Hey do you like guns? Im looking to buy one. What do you have?" If you open your jacket and I see it, this is not brandishing. However, if you cut me off or stole my parking space, both of us get out of our cars and start a heated yelling match, at which point you open your jacket for the SOLE PURPOSE of me seeing your firearm and backing down, you have just brandished your firearm...you make your firearm visible for the purposes of intimidation. Walking around with your gun visible is considered open carry, and may or may not be allowed in your state (I believe it is in NC, but Im not 100%.)

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 02-03-2013 at 09:18 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #96
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
nor is it in PA. Actually, no such law as brandishing even exists.

Quote:
Actually, you are only allowed to shoot (which is deadly force) when you are threatened with deadly force. If you are threatened with fists, it's going to be a hard argument to a jury to make that you were threatened with deadly force just with fists.
Threatened with deadly force is not the only reason. Could be rape, kidnapping, bodily harm or even simply being in my home.

As far as "just fists"... Disparity of force comes into play not to mention more fists kill more people every year than all shotguns and rifles combined

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #97
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Wrong again. Your argument means that you would actually need to take a beating first, so you can assess if the situation is life-threatening. You dont know if he is just going to give you a charlie horse or beat your face in to the point of brain damage. When the physical threat is made, and you REASONABLY fear for your life, you are in the realm of a self defense shoot.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #98
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
nor is it in PA. Actually, no such law as brandishing even exists.

Threatened with deadly force is not the only reason. Could be rape, kidnapping, bodily harm or even simply being in my home.

As far as "just fists"... Disparity of force comes into play not to mention more fists kill more people every year than all shotguns and rifles combined
I have been told that in PA that although there is no brandishing law, if you draw without justification, you can be charged with Simple Assault and Terroristic Threats....troof?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #99
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
I have been told that in PA that although there is no brandishing law, if you draw without justification, you can be charged with Simple Assault and Terroristic Threats....troof?
Those two are up there with "disorderly conduct"
Blanket charges for anything

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #100
NFRs2000nyc

Oh, and from what I understand, even if the state doesn't have a brandishing law, you can still be charged with a slew of other offenses (although they will not be called brandishing.)