E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #21
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey62 View Post
Hi yes they are complete plug n play. As we did not change the angeleye rings that came with the lights and just used the integrated angel eyes just changed the bulbs then they come on when you switch the side lights on . They run off the same connection as the small current, small wedge bulbs do. Therefore there is no need for a seperate switch as use position 1 on the headlight control panel. This is the UK version so I dont know if the headlights and headlight switch is different on US spec cars. Just used the wiring loom already on the car and plugged the new lights into that.
The bulbs that came with the lights for the angel eyes were stock halogen W5W bulbs so swapped them all for Phillips Blue Vision Ultra W5W bulbs which give a nice white light with a more subtle bightness rather than in your face; bright which is quite nice. Use the Osram nightbreakers for the main lights and they match the colour of the Philips lights really well.
In your photo, it shows the halos on without the turn signal/parking lights on. That's what I'm looking for. In position 1, the side turn signal/parking lights come on. I'd rather leave them off when the halos are on. Don't know if that is possible but I guess I can figure it out when I install them. Thanks again!
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #22
sharkey62

My Ride: 320i
Hi
In the UK we do not have the parking/signal lights on all the time therefore position 1 on the headlight control are just the side lights coming on (what we call side lights ie the 5w5 bulbs in the headlamp unit) and positon 2 is for the dipped beam.
Hope this makes sense not very technical so may not be explaining it that well.
sharkey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
Euro604

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
City lights you mean?

2002 330ci, Scwartz Black, AFE Intake, Muffler Delete, 18" CSL Replicas
Euro604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #24
sharkey62

My Ride: 320i
Yeah I think so - lights so other road users can see you rather than to light up where you are going.
sharkey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #25
YYCBMW

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
In your photo, it shows the halos on without the turn signal/parking lights on. That's what I'm looking for. In position 1, the side turn signal/parking lights come on. I'd rather leave them off when the halos are on. Don't know if that is possible but I guess I can figure it out when I install them. Thanks again!
It is likely "daytime run lights". In Canada for instance, you have to have lights on even during the day. For BMW's the halo's are the daytime run lights. The US doesn't require daytime run lights (last I checked). Daytime run lights turn on automatically, it's not a switch you have to activate etc...

Last edited by YYCBMW; 02-13-2013 at 01:44 PM.
YYCBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #26
ampbmw

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3 coupe
If you're looking for a corona ring (angel eyes is an aftermarket name) for your e46 that is just like the new BMW ones, sorry, those don't exist. The way BMW makes theres, the light source is not inside the ring. It is a LED light source below the ring, and a prism shoots light up into the polished acrylic ring. This is how they achieve the beautiful look and performance of LED light when on, and retain the colorless look of the ring when off.

All aftermarket LED "angel eyes" are going to have the LED's inside the ring itself, and when the lights are off, the whole ring is going to appear yellow because LED's when off are little yellow pieces, which is obviously the opposite of what you want- to have a yellowish ring around your beautiful polished looking OEM lights.

The best bet if you're wanting a clear angel eye when off is to get the depo P46, because they have built in angel eye housings, with clear colorless rings. CCFL would look best, but they catch your car on fire and have other issues--- to my knowledge, the only real option is what sharkey62 did, just order the P46 with halogen angel eyes, then replace them with higher temp bulbs for color match of xenon. This will be the closest replica of a new BMW corona ring. Also, its a damn cheap option! Sharkey62's looked like 4300K...probably would shoot for a 6000K replacement bulb for a closer color match of new BMW.