E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #21
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawz View Post
Well.. Cuz, it is bad and has play? :-)
I was just wondering if you actually inspected the part or if you're just guessing like half the people that come into the forums.

"Hay guyz I replaced my hed gazkit bcuz i was loosing coolant but im stil loosing coolant. WHy? My ET is 35 years old."
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #22
cposk

My Ride: 08' E90 M3
Watch this video, it is pretty easy to diagnosis... He also mentions that his car would "ride straight over white lines without any input at all", which I am guessing means a little bit of wandering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=bwT1_Lv9fz4#!

Last edited by cposk; 02-07-2013 at 01:46 PM.
cposk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #23
drawz

My Ride: BMW 3-series 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I was just wondering if you actually inspected the part or if you're just guessing like half the people that come into the forums.

"Hay guyz I replaced my hed gazkit bcuz i was loosing coolant but im stil loosing coolant. WHy? My ET is 35 years old."
I know what you mean. The part is inspected
drawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #24
drawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cposk View Post
Watch this video, it is pretty easy to diagnosis... He also mentions that his car would "ride straight over white lines without any input at all", which I am guessing means a little bit of wandering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=bwT1_Lv9fz4#!
That is exactly the same symptoms I have. I have also been under the car inspecting the part while a buddy turned the steeringwheel.

Last edited by drawz; 02-07-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
cposk

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawz View Post
That is exactly the same symptoms I have. I have also been under the car inspecting the part while a buddy turned the steeringwheel.
Do you get any steering wheel shake/vibration at higher speeds?
Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
drawz

Quote:
Do you get any steering wheel shake/vibration at higher speeds?
Yes, it shakes a bit. But will not say for sure that it is because of the column. My winter tires are a bit unbalanced.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #27
drawz

It looks like it is a easy job on rhd cars. But, a paint in the a** for lhd cars :\ Cuz, on the rhd cars, you can do it from above. I will take a second look tomorrow to see if it is possible to get it of from above on my lhd car. I'm pretty sure it has to done from under the car.

Last edited by drawz; 02-07-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #28
drawz

I found som new stuff.. The job looks really straight forward. But I still having problems getting access to the upper bolt.

http://jbbeach.com/files/bmw323ci/32...ing_Column.pdf

Look at the Lower steering column, removing and installing.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #29
drawz

FINALY! I got this done. Kind of embarrassing how easy It really was... When I got the coupling of, It was just pulling the shaft down a bit. Then It was easy to get to the bolt with a good exstension.

No more play and clunk sound!

Next I have to replace is the steering rack. Anyone know of a good diy? (Have a bit of knocking sound in that one aswell)
Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #30
drawz

After doing this my steering wheel is a bit off :\ Think I might have moved the parts abit while doing this. Anyone know an easy way to get it aligned again?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #32
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Yep. As long as its only a couple degrees at the wheels then an alignment will easily take care of the issue.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #33
drawz

Ok, thanks guys But Is there no way I can do this mayself? Can't I just drive the car forward to ensure the wheels are straight, then unbolt the coupling, turn the steering wheel to right position and then put it back together. would that work? Or does it only sound easy in my head? :p
Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #35
drawz

I think you can.. With just 1-2mm or so. Anyway, ym steering wheel got unaligned after doing this jobb. The shaft only fits one way, the coupling is mounted to the shaft only one way, and where the coupling attaches to the rack I belive can be moved few mm each way. thoughts?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #36
cposk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
As far as I remember, you physically can't install the coupling or steering wheel incorrectly.
Correct. To center without getting an alignment, you will need to pull the black plastic piece off of the pinion and adjust. This only allows the coupling to go on one way.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #37
drawz

Quote:
Correct. To center without getting an alignment, you will need to pull the black plastic piece off of the pinion and adjust. This only allows the coupling to go on one way.
Do you have any thoughts abount why my steering wheel is unaligned after this job? I got my wheel aligned a few weeks before doing this job, could that aligment be wrong with the new shaft and coupling?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #38
cposk

You only touch the extendable column? I'm not sure how it can be off if you never touched the rack.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #39
drawz

Yep, thats right. Didn't directly touch the rack. I had to hammer the coupling out tho..
Old 03-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #40
cposk

Well not sure whats going on then. The black plastic piece which fits tightly on the pinion acts as the alignment of the coupling. It has a fin that the coupling slides over, then bolts through. You can pull that off and try to re-align it, but I'd be worried something is wrong with the column...