E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Mctwist77

My Ride: '99' BMW 323i
Replaced subframe, still clunk when shifting, even with car off. Help please!

Okay so here's a little history, I have replaced the guibo, all rear subframe bushings including the big differential one and I have replaced the transmission mounts. I did not replace the CSB because I looked fine when I looked at it, there were no tears in the rubber. So heres the issue, even with the car OFF if I go to put in into first gear I hear a clunk and it sounds like its coming from the rear, but I dont understand how that is possible since the driveshaft isnt even spinning. The clunk also occurs when the car is on. The noise has been significantly reduced since I replaced the bushing but I was expecting it to go away. Could it be possible that even though my CSB looks and feels good (no excessive play when I wiggled it) it could be bad? Where is this clunk coming from?
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Mctwist77

Also, could I have a bad U-joint in my driveshaft?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Mctwist77

Or incorrectly installed guibo?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Just a hunch, but it sounds like the differential mount.

Here is a DIY
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=668682

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
///MPR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwist77 View Post
That would vibrate the shifter at higher RPMs

Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Mctwist77

Yeah I just replaced that on Friday. I replaced all mounts for the differential and all bushing where the subframe meets the frame. Do you think it could be internal?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
///MPR77

Quote:
Yeah I just replaced that on Friday. I replaced all mounts for the differential and all bushing where the subframe meets the frame. Do you think it could be internal?
Internal as in within the diff?
I suppose so, it is mechanical, but I wouldn't jump the gun yet.

Who did the work?

Consider checking, or getting the work double checked.
I know this job is pretty gnarly, and it could simply be an oversight.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Sounds like your guido needs more hair gel.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
Mctwist77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Sounds like your guido needs more hair gel.
What do you mean by that?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Mctwist77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
Internal as in within the diff?
I suppose so, it is mechanical, but I wouldn't jump the gun yet.

Who did the work?

Consider checking, or getting the work double checked.
I know this job is pretty gnarly, and it could simply be an oversight.
I did all the work. Yeah I'm going to go under this weekend and look at it again. I do have driveline slop but its not excessive.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Get someone to run it on a lift
Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Mctwist77

Will do. Want to take any guesses? haha
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Okay so here's a little history, I have replaced the guibo, all rear subframe bushings including the big differential one and I have replaced the transmission mounts. I did not replace the CSB because I looked fine when I looked at it, there were no tears in the rubber. So heres the issue, even with the car OFF if I go to put in into first gear I hear a clunk and it sounds like its coming from the rear, but I dont understand how that is possible since the driveshaft isnt even spinning. The clunk also occurs when the car is on. The noise has been significantly reduced since I replaced the bushing but I was expecting it to go away. Could it be possible that even though my CSB looks and feels good (no excessive play when I wiggled it) it could be bad? Where is this clunk coming from?
Quote:
Also, could I have a bad U-joint in my driveshaft?
Quote:

I honestly do not see how it could be any of those things, if you say you hear the noise when moving the shifter with the car OFF. All of the components you listed would need to be rotating to make any sort of clunking noise.
The only possibilities I can think of would be an internal issue in the transmission or shift and/or clutch linkage, that is somehow resonating to the rear of the car. It could be a bad syncro, or something loose in the shift linkage. It would be fairly easy to get under the car, and check out the linkage. The best way to isolate it would be to get the car on jack stands, and have someone sit inside the car, and shift through the gears with the car OFF. You could get under the car, and try to isolate the source.
It is possible for a bushing to make a noise when the car is not moving, and the motor off, in some cases. But it sounds like you have covered most of those.
One remote possibility could be the upper rear shock mounts, which may be making a clunking noise when you are sitting in the car with the engine off, shifting through the gears.

Are you sure you can hear the noise when the car is off, and you are just moving the gears?! I would think that you getting under the car while someone inside shifts through the gears with the car off.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
MJLavelle

Before everyone submits their guesses for the usual suspects, please note that the OP stated that he can hear the noise with the car OFF, while shifting through the gears!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
Mctwist77

Yeah I can hear it when the car is off and I shift into first or reverse. I would say it happens 75% of the time, but sometimes if I push the clutch in release it then push it in again right after the clunk would go away for that shift.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
Mctwist77

I will look at the shift linkage as well
Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
Mctwist77

Its just frustrating because I did all that work and the noise still isn't completely gone
Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Mctwist77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
I honestly do not see how it could be any of those things, if you say you hear the noise when moving the shifter with the car OFF. All of the components you listed would need to be rotating to make any sort of clunking noise.
The only possibilities I can think of would be an internal issue in the transmission or shift and/or clutch linkage, that is somehow resonating to the rear of the car. It could be a bad syncro, or something loose in the shift linkage. It would be fairly easy to get under the car, and check out the linkage. The best way to isolate it would be to get the car on jack stands, and have someone sit inside the car, and shift through the gears with the car OFF. You could get under the car, and try to isolate the source.
It is possible for a bushing to make a noise when the car is not moving, and the motor off, in some cases. But it sounds like you have covered most of those.
One remote possibility could be the upper rear shock mounts, which may be making a clunking noise when you are sitting in the car with the engine off, shifting through the gears.

Are you sure you can hear the noise when the car is off, and you are just moving the gears?! I would think that you getting under the car while someone inside shifts through the gears with the car off.
Thanks for your help. Question though, how could an issue with shift linkage cause a noise in the rear?

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App
Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
MJLavelle

Quote:
Yeah I can hear it when the car is off and I shift into first or reverse. I would say it happens 75% of the time, but sometimes if I push the clutch in release it then push it in again right after the clunk would go away for that shift.
Quote:
Thanks for your help. Question though, how could an issue with shift linkage cause a noise in the rear?

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App

I'm not saying for sure that it would cause noise in the rear. I am wondering if the sound is resonating through the trans and driveshaft, making it sound like it is in the rear. Normally, I would think this was a very low probability. But, the fact that you say you can hear it when the car is off, and nothing is moving except the clutch and gearshift/trans makes me think that it is most likely something with those items.
A bushing, driveshaft, U-joint, guibo, or subframe and diff bushings are not going to make noise when the car is off, and nothing is moving. I suppose anything is possible, but it does not make any logical sense. Does that make sense to you?
So, you would think that the noise is most likely coming from the only things you are moving - the clutch and its linkage, the shifter, trans mounts, and the transmission internals. Right? Nothing else is moving, so how could it make noise?

Your comment about pushing in the clutch once, and then pressing it again before shifting making the noise go away is interesting.
-Have you had the replaced, or removed the transmission recently?
-Did you replace your starter recently, and removed or loosened any of the trans mounting bolts to get it out?
-Have you checked your trans mounts? Have you replaced them recently?

Also, can you give a detailed, step by step description of exactly what you do when you hear the noise with the car off?

At first, this sounds like a normal bad bushing or driveshaft/guibo/center support bearing issue. But the fact that you can hear it with the car off, and nothing moving seems to rule out all of those things.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 02-04-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #20
///MPR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Before everyone submits their guesses for the usual suspects, please note that the OP stated that he can hear the noise with the car OFF, while shifting through the gears!
Precisely
This is why I suggested Diff bushing.

I know he replaced it, but it could be loose, about 70ft/lbs for those external torx bolts.

OP, Another thing that I have read is where someone had observed their diff had play at the mount when fully torqued, and he attributed it to the bolts being a bit smaller than the actual mounting hole.

Last edited by ///MPR77; 02-04-2013 at 02:26 PM.