E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #41
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Sound transmission through solid objects. It's quite common. Sort of like when you can put your ear on a railroad track and hear the train coming through the rail.

Come on man! Put your pilot training stuff to work here!

Last edited by 330iPilot; 02-05-2013 at 03:57 PM.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #42
Mctwist77

My Ride: '99' BMW 323i
Haha alright alright! Well how much am I looking at for the job $500-$1000? I have literally done every diy but this is one that I dont really want to mess with.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #43
330iPilot

Ya, probably around a grand. It's really not that hard on the E46 I did it on an old Porsche 924S that I had. Now that was a bitch!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #44
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwist77 View Post
So a worn clutch can cause a thumping sound from the rear? How so? I dont doubt everything that you two have said, Im just curious as to how this creates this noise.
Its no so much that a worn clutch would cause the clunk, as it is the throwout bearing, or pilot for that matter.
In my experience, a bad throwout will definitely cause a clunk, but will also be felt when trying to disengage the clutch, which will be difficult to get in or out of gear. OP hasn't reported difficult shifts, so I'm not sure.

I am interested in the size of the tear in the subframe that he mentioned as well.

As for the resonance in the drive line, it could....could it be something back there is still loose, and the resonance is exploiting that, and giving a clunk in the rear?

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #45
Mctwist77

Well occasionally when I just start it and it's cold going into 1st gear can be rough. Just thought it was normal since it was cold

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #46
///MPR77

Quote:
Well occasionally when I just start it and it's cold going into 1st gear can be rough. Just thought it was normal since it was cold

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App
My first, and second gear are notchy too when cold, that apparently is normal, based on others reported experiences.
If your throwout were failing it would be a lot gnarlier. When it completely fails, you will only be able to shift when the engine is off.
Granted other things, like the shift release fork, and slave cylinder can cause difficult shift symptoms, but again it's not something that would go away after warm up.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Bimmer App

Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #47
330iPilot

That's why I suggested he take it somewhere for a professional diagnosis. It's just too hard to do it via website.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #48
///MPR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
That's why I suggested he take it somewhere for a professional diagnosis. It's just too hard to do it via website.
+1

Its always great to toss around ideas, and share experiences, but there seems to be a couple of things at play here.

OP, with all the money you have saved doing all the work on your car, I think you will do right by taking it in to get looked at.

If you're going to get the clutch replaced, consider adding some small items to the list, to replace while the trans is down off the car.

Center Support Bearing
Rear main seal
Transmission mounts.
The GUIBO was replaced already right?

Probably want to get a clutch slave cylinder too, however you can replace that in 20 min yourself, but you will have to bleed the system, so might as well do that at the same time as the clutch.

Best of luck, and update the thread when it gets resolved.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #49
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Whoa! I completely missed the mention of the subframe tear! You slipped that one in there. While I doubt that it is the source of your noise, since it is heard even with the car turned off, it is a major issue. You are going to have to get that repaired, and very soon. It will only get worse, and cost more to repair if you let it go. You really need to read up on the whole subframe issue on here. I am sorry to hear about this, because it is a huge issue, and not an easy repair. Can you post some pics of it?
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #50
Mctwist77

So if I had a tear in my subframe that could give me a clunk when Im moving shifting through gears, correct? As far as the noise I get when the car is off I think its just what 330i pilot said that its transmission noise resonating thoughout the car. Im going to get my rear subframe repaired and Im hoping the noise will go away, the noise I get when Im shifting and moving.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #51
///MPR77

My subframe mounting area tear, was a creaking mettalic sound. Like an old spring mattress.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #52
Mctwist77

Damn thats not what mine sounds like. Maybe its not audible at the time being. Found a guy who would install the TMS plates for $1000 and waiting to hear back from BMW if they will help me out. Another idea is the clunk could be bad output shafts from the diff. Who the hell knows! ///MPR77 Do you have any thumps from the back?
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #53
///MPR77

Quote:
Damn thats not what mine sounds like. Maybe its not audible at the time being. Found a guy who would install the TMS plates for $1000 and waiting to hear back from BMW if they will help me out. Another idea is the clunk could be bad output shafts from the diff. Who the hell knows! ///MPR77 Do you have any thumps from the back?
I had a thump, that turned out to be the torx bolts on the diff, had backed out a bit. I tightened them up, and all has been well since March.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #54
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
I think you are dealing with two seperate things. The thump almost certainly has to be from the transmission for two reasons - 1. You hear it when the car is not moving. And 2. You have 145k miles on the original clutch, although I think it must have been replaced at least once.

The subframe tear may not even be making noise at this point, depending on where it is, and how large it is.
But I am fairly sure that the TMS reinforcement plates are only for cars that do NOT have a tear. Once you have a tear, you have to get more extensive repairs, and it is not cheap. I have seen costs from $1500 to $4000 for repairing a torn subframe. I may be wrong about the TMS plates, and I hope I am, for your sake.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #55
///MPR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
I think you are dealing with two seperate things. The thump almost certainly has to be from the transmission for two reasons - 1. You hear it when the car is not moving. And 2. You have 145k miles on the original clutch, although I think it must have been replaced at least once.

The subframe tear may not even be making noise at this point, depending on where it is, and how large it is.
But I am fairly sure that the TMS reinforcement plates are only for cars that do NOT have a tear. Once you have a tear, you have to get more extensive repairs, and it is not cheap. I have seen costs from $1500 to $4000 for repairing a torn subframe. I may be wrong about the TMS plates, and I hope I am, for your sake.
Agreed 100%

Although, its not out of the realm of possibility for that clutch to be original, in fact I would bet it is the original

BTW...OP, The TMS plates go on after the mounting area is fixed, or before as a preventative measure, which won't apply in your scenario.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #56
Mctwist77

Oh really? After reading the TMS description I was under the impression that it was a repair/reinforcement kit. What I was going to was have the fabricator weld the crack then install the kit.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #57
///MPR77

Quote:
Oh really? After reading the TMS description I was under the impression that it was a repair/reinforcement kit. What I was going to was have the fabricator weld the crack then install the kit.
Oh gotcha my mistake, sounds like you're good then. Great deal on labor too

Old 02-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #58
Spencer33

My Ride: 2004 330i
My car does the same thing, notchy shifts, hard to get into reverse/first gear when the car is on and a noticable clunk when shifting too.
Spencer33 is offline   Reply With Quote