E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
B8888KC

My Ride: Old fart E46 sedan
Mtech install problem. Help!

I bought a replica mtech bodykit (front, rear and sides) from a local vendor here. The seller said it's made in Taiwan, and molded from the OEM bumper, so fitment should be spot on. However when I installed the kit (I installed it with a friend), the fitment is simply terrible. I'm not sure if I installed it wrongly, or maybe I left out some parts (I bought prefacelift guides for front and rear). Can anyone please tell me what I did wrong, or did I buy a low quality bodykit? Here are some pictures of the bumpers fitted. Please forgive my SUPER dirty car. It's been raining like crazy here.

Rear bumper

Notice that there is a BIG gap between the body and the rear bumper. The bumper should go all the way in, but for some reason, it just refuses to do so. There's a lip in the upper portion of the bumper, but the underside of the body is flat. There's nowhere for the lip to lock into position, if you get what I mean. Should I grind the lip? Whenever I try to push the bumper in, it just pops right out again. Did I install the guides wrongly? I used the existing hole already on the car to bolt the guide on each side. The bumper will NOT move further. Because the bumper wouldn't go into the body (blocked by the lip on the bumper), the whole bumper becomes somewhat warped, and I couldn't fit the plastic trim because of this. The rear corners of the car bulge out and I couldn't push it further in. Here's a pic of the rear left corner of the car.

I can't even bolt the bumper to the rear quarter panel together. Here's the pic of the rear quarter panel. Notice the bolt does not go into the hole (it's supposed to).

Now the front bumper. There's a BIG gap too here. My friend said it's because of the rebar. But we took off the whole bumper again, and the rebar is securely attached to the bumper. There's nothing more we can do. Notice the gap in the pic below (I removed the trim piece below the headlight).

The corner is snug because I drilled a hole there to bolt the bumper to the car lol. Yes ghetto method but this is a 10-year old car.

Is anything wrong with my install, or does the problem lie with the bumpers? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by B8888KC; 02-15-2013 at 08:16 AM.
B8888KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
It would come down to the bumpers. OEM would fit perfect, but I would just take them off again and re-align them.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
B8888KC

My Ride: Old fart E46 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
It would come down to the bumpers. OEM would fit perfect, but I would just take them off again and re-align them.
Thanks solidjake. Yeah I'll try re-aligning it. I suspect it has something to do with the bumper guide placing. I may need to drill a new hole on the guides if it's even possible lol. And maybe my dremel will finally get its debut grinding the lip on the rear bumper.

Btw, I saw a C-figure hook on realoem. I didn't buy it. Is it necessary? I also had to take off the fender guide to fit the mtech rear bumper, and now the bumper doesn't line up with the fender. Not even close in fact. Is there a fender guide for the mtech?
B8888KC is offline   Reply With Quote