E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

View Poll Results: What should i do?
screw lafayette, stay at purdue remote campus 2 28.57%
hold tight and hope a spot opens up in the coming years at lafayette 1 14.29%
attend a lesser school (Ohio University, U of South Carolina) 3 42.86%
attend another school of higher engineering caliber *(suggest school) 0 0%
other (leave suggestion in comment) 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
ME transfer options?

I'm currently going to school at a purdue remote campus. it's the same deal as purdue but i don't live on campus and commute everyday. i'm wanting to transfer to an "on campus" school but purdue's mechanical engineering program was full before transfer apps were even open.
despite purdue's steller reputation for engineering, i only hear bad things about their engineering program is from students.
if i stay at this purdue remote campus, i'm going to graduate for a degree from purdue university. it's not a downplayed degree. but i want to experience campus life before i'm old and saggy. so my options are meh right now.

please vote and give me some advice. i know little to nothing about mechanical engineering as far as a career perspective goes. so idk how much father a degree from purdue will take me versus a "lesser" engineering school.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
ME is a great degree, stick with it if it interests you. That said, college is an experience unto itself and is IMO just as much a part of your education as the classes. Learning how to deal with a frantic social life and a large work load isn't something you'll learn living at home.

edit: If an engineering program is ABET accredited you're good. Yes, some programs are more difficult than others but if you're good enough at what you do you can prove to your employer that the name of your school really doesn't matter.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 02-17-2015 at 11:54 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
ME is a great degree, stick with it if it interests you. That said, college is an experience unto itself and is IMO just as much a part of your education as the classes. Learning how to deal with a frantic social life and a large work load isn't something you'll learn living at home.
i do plan to stick with it but i'm stuck on what i should do as far as a transfer. i would prefer to attend USC south carolina. but that's not exactly an "engineering school" so i don't know if leaving purdue would be wise when i look back in 10 years.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
cowmoo32
drunken science

Clemson is where you'd want to be for engineering, not USC. And Clemson is a great college town, lots to do and plenty of girls.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 02-17-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
peytonracer4

Quote:
Clemson is where you'd want to be for engineering, not USC. And Clemson is a great college town, lots to do and plenty of girls.
have you visited clemson? the thing i loved about USC was the atmosphere and the facilities were a beautiful mix of old and new.

i'll take a visit down there soon if you recommend it.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
i do plan to stick with it but i'm stuck on what i should do as far as a transfer. i would prefer to attend USC south carolina. but that's not exactly an "engineering school" so i don't know if leaving purdue would be wise when i look back in 10 years.
In 10 years 99.9999% of people won't care what college you went to... if I just put my major and not the school on my resume I would be surprised if anyone ever asked what school I graduated from...
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
have you visited clemson? the thing i loved about USC was the atmosphere and the facilities were a beautiful mix of old and new.

i'll take a visit down there soon if you recommend it.
I went down one weekend for a football game and had a blast. Honestly I was bitter I didn't go there because they offered the same degree I had and the girls were hotter and there were more of them. It's in the middle of nowhere but like I said, it's a college town, reminded me a lot of Chapel Hill the way it was laid out.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 02-17-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #8
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
you want to transfer from purdue to experience college life? lol what exactly about college life do you want to experience? how old are you?
Old 02-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
you want to transfer from purdue to experience college life? lol what exactly about college life do you want to experience? how old are you?
i'm not going to purdue in lafayette. i'm at a remote campus. there are three buildings and i commute 20 min each way everyday. i'm 21.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Hardvard extension
Old 02-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
217Bimmer

Quote:
i'm not going to purdue in lafayette. i'm at a remote campus. there are three buildings and i commute 20 min each way everyday. i'm 21.
i know, but you want to transfer out of the purdue system thus losing your PU mech eng degree.

what year level would you transfer in as or how many years would you have left?? and again, what about college life are you looking for? are you working now? why do you currently commute?
Old 02-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #12
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
In 10 years 99.9999% of people won't care what college you went to... if I just put my major and not the school on my resume I would be surprised if anyone ever asked what school I graduated from...
This

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #13
peytonracer4

Quote:
i know, but you want to transfer out of the purdue system thus losing your PU mech eng degree.

what year level would you transfer in as or how many years would you have left?? and again, what about college life are you looking for? are you working now? why do you currently commute?
i would transfer after my sophomore year. having 2-3 years left.
i'm looking for living on campus. experiencing "the best years of my life" as others put it.

i currently live at home. i commute because the campus is in the middle of freaking nowhere. so if i wanted to live near campus, i would live so far away from humans it would be a nightmare. i work but only 1 day (10 hours) a week. i've saved enough money over the years to not really need to work right now.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #14
cowmoo32
drunken science

Networking in school pays dividends after you graduate, even if your friends are in different fields. Not to mention some of my best friendships were made in college; that mix of youth and freedom doesn't happen many other places. Plus, like I said, you'll have to learn to juggle a social life and academics which is a huge life lesson IMO.

Quote:
lol what exactly about college life do you want to experience?
Quote:
and again, what about college life are you looking for?
^ didn't have a good time in school.

flickher

Old 02-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Clemson is a great school. They have a pretty big packaging degree program there so my department made quite a few visits during college. My company also has a partnership with the university and I still partake in research and studies from time-to-time with graduate students. Nice college town, cute girls galore, reputable education, and a great alumni network.

That said, consider Georgia Tech, Clemson, Virginia Tech, NC State...public universities that won't break the bank but have great engineering programs.

"Nowhere in the college process is there any mechanism to talk people out of taking on student loans. It's in the best interest of the school to fill seats and society still continues to blindly believe a college education is the universal path to success."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #16
217Bimmer

Quote:
Networking in school pays dividends after you graduate, even if your friends are in different fields. Not to mention some of my best friendships were made in college; that mix of youth and freedom doesn't happen many other places. Plus, like I said, you'll have to learn to juggle a social life and academics which is a huge life lesson IMO.

^ didn't have a good time in school.
false.

PU is one of the most respected engineering schools in the world. i was just trying to get a sense of what college experience he was wanting to trade that distinguished degree for. is living in an apartment with friends and drinking worth trading to go to a lesser school and pay thousands more in out of state tuition?

it doesn't seem right that mech eng was closed before they even considered transfer apps. did you even talk to anybody at the WL campus? i guarantee that they hold a certain number of spots open for transfer students. call the mech eng adviser office and ask!

i'd stick it out another year and do everything you can to get into the WL campus. it's in-state for you saving money and one of the best degrees you can get.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #17
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2k, 06 X-runner
stay at Purdue. Would have gone there for my ME if I didn't move to FL
Old 02-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #18
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
false.

PU is one of the most respected engineering schools in the world. i was just trying to get a sense of what college experience he was wanting to trade that distinguished degree for. is living in an apartment with friends and drinking worth trading to go to a lesser school and pay thousands more in out of state tuition?
Good point, I hadn't considered the extra tuition. It isn't worth it to go into debt.

Quote:
it doesn't seem right that mech eng was closed before they even considered transfer apps. did you even talk to anybody at the WL campus? i guarantee that they hold a certain number of spots open for transfer students. call the mech eng adviser office and ask!
+1, pester the absolute sh!t out of the admissions people and go over people's heads if you have to. On more than one occasion in school I had to go to the head of my department when a teacher or advisor wouldn't let me take a class that I wanted. Until you hear no from the person in charge you always have a chance. Persistence is key, be sure they know your face and your name. And if you're having to go through campus admissions to transfer, find the head of undergraduate admissions for the ME dept and talk to them; call if you can, don't email.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 02-17-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #19
217Bimmer

my guess is OP was lazy and missed the deadline or waited too long and transfer spots were taken. gotta get your **** in early, especially for ME.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #20
invisible man

My Ride: invisible car
Raves are way more fun than any college party. And date a few strippers.