E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
being3
OEM ///Member

My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
HPF turbo enthusiast no more MIL

Been working on the infamous EML / service dash light on HPF cars for off road use

Modified DME for: all codes related to HPF cars removed = no EML light / service soon , cat readiness, two o2 sensors removed, 200mph speed limit, dyno rev limit 8000rpm, shift lights , sport button memory, EWS delete, SMG to manual conversion and remapped throttle and several misc tweaks.

This allows for proper diagnosing if other issues come up .. In other words if the EML or service light comes on u know u have a problem.

Last edited by being3; 02-13-2014 at 10:17 PM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
being3
OEM ///Member

Next on the todo list is remove AEM and run on factory DME

Why? Just because I can

Last edited by being3; 02-13-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
You digged into DME.

I had the OLS files of almost all E46 M3s back in 2006. So 8 years ago I was mapping OEM DME of E46 M3s.

Stock DME does not have many features of proper stand alones.

Boost by gear
Adjustable traction control
Boost controller
Nitrous controller
Safety features such as lean conditions, low oil pressure
All Wheel drive control

So all of these features are lost if you map DME. Best way is to get a proper stand alone, map it in detail.

4,23 s 60-130 mph E46 M3 TT
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
being3
OEM ///Member

No more more codes video

Old 02-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
being3
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
You digged into DME.

I had the OLS files of almost all E46 M3s back in 2006. So 8 years ago I was mapping OEM DME of E46 M3s.

Stock DME does not have many features of proper stand alones.

Boost by gear

Adjustable traction control

Boost controller

Nitrous controller

Safety features such as lean conditions, low oil pressure

All Wheel drive control

So all of these features are lost if you map DME. Best way is to get a proper stand alone, map it in detail.

I agree... I will most likely go infinity for that reason. So tuning the factory DME is because I like to play and discover.. To me its about learning and challenging myself...

Last edited by being3; 02-13-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
being3
OEM ///Member

Surprised at how well the car now drives. Idles much smoother

Driving the car is much more responsove.. Also the part throttle map was a whopping 5% richer and had to retune the Throttle based fuel map in the AEM. I belive it because the dme was controlling the idle controll valve and AEM was doing drive by wire. I think there was a battle between the two at part throttle and start up. With the codes removed and some tweaking of the dme it now runs much smother.. revs nice and is very snappy...

I ve never been happier with the car...

Last edited by being3; 02-13-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
being3
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Can you elaborate what changes were made to the DME?

I'm a little confused what was done, and how it affected your tune.

Sure I'd be happy to...

First to understand is that HPF cars with piggyback AEM the factory DME is retained to handle idle and part throttle via Idle Control Valve. The Aem takes care of ignition, timing, fuel , fuel trims, Vanos and boost etc...

HPF cars have all the factory 02 sensors mounted out of the exhaust stream and the AEM manages all 02 feedback via its own sensor. Also the factory air pump is removed to mount the intake to turbo as well as factory intake air temp is replaced with an AEM one.

The problem comes in that the factory DME retains all its obd2 error coding and sees the car is not running according to its parameters and throws a whole bunch of codes... Misfire , Vanos, and a host of 02 sensor and ignition related codes. HPF managed to wire in the AEM without the DME going into limp mode, I believe by the jumper box which attempts to harmonize the two systems sending signal data such as Vanos and TPS back to the DME. It allowed for a turbo kit that was bolt in and removable back to stock and as a result this IMO still leaves the DME with issues.

So what I did was modify the DME to suppress the related DTC error codes, remove misfire detection , post cat delete mods, readiness monitors for cats set to ready, and a few others...

I wasn't expecting any changes to the AEM as a result I was surprised to see the air-fuel at part throttle was 5% richer and then notice my TPS voltage had increased back to stock voltage pre AEM. The Aem had been compensating in some way. I suspect that the DME was working hard at fighting all theses codes and with the DME handling part throttle and idle it had a definite negative effect particularity to TPS 5v / sensor signal which the AEM was needlessly compensating. Also the accelerator pump was triggering causing rich conditions and was hard to stabilize... If ur an HPF owner u will notice at times 10.0 AFRs at cold startup and when at times u step on the gas or WOT then the AFR comes back to target. This is because the noise on the TPS signal is falsely triggering accel pump throwing off the AFRs. Puffs of black smoke can be seen also... Some is normal for turbo but I found it was excessive as a result of too much accel triggering. Almost like machine gun fire... It would trigger that much. My past experience prior to this modification with working on several Hpf cars is they all have theses related issues. The Aem could be adjusted to minimize this effect if time was spent on it which I had done for a few owners as well as my own. This new DME mod goes even further eliminating the source cause.

TPS voltage and signal noise is very sensitive and on these cars it is crucial to proper operation.
The real change was getting the base TPS voltage readjusted in the AEM and as a result the tune fell back into place. I also had to set the Accell Pump Sensitivity as the noise on the line is now less / more stable. The throttle responsiveness is noticeable. It's very snappy.

Im doing this remotely for a few other HPF cars and If any other HPF owners want this modification or more info shoot me a PM.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by being3; 02-15-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
GRK///M3

My Ride: LSB M3
Being3 has spent some time figuring out the issues that HPF could not. He is very knowledgeable in every aspect with these cars. I have been working with him to resolve these issues with my car. Being3 has helped me several times with my car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
GRK///M3

My Ride: LSB M3

Being3 is currently helping clear my DME codes.

Last edited by GRK///M3; 02-15-2014 at 03:49 PM.
GRK///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Impressive work being3!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:46 AM   #11
being3
OEM ///Member

I just counted the amount of codes that HPF M3s were throwing there r 38 !!!!! Scary...... imagine what the dealer might think lol

Now no worries with Clean bill of health at any dealer or inspection station.

Last edited by being3; 02-16-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:06 AM   #12
red375

My Ride: //HPF E46 M3 stg2
Great work!!
red375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #13
speed12

My Ride: E46 M3 HPF, E36 M3
Interesting !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BimmerApp mobile app

E36 M3 1997 Dakar Yellow
E46 M3 2005 Carbon Black (HPF)
E46 M3 2006 Imola Red..(Memories)
speed12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:04 AM   #14
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Great Work.
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #15
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
wow congrats being3 and thanks a lot for sharing your info for everyone to see and learn from. Most people with your knowledge and ability are tight lipped
Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #16
being3
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red375 View Post
Great work!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed12 View Post
Interesting !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
Great Work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
wow congrats being3 and thanks a lot for sharing your info for everyone to see and learn from. Most people with your knowledge and ability are tight lipped

Thank u ... As I worked on solving issues when I first got the car I was given a huge amount of support from various forum members that I found indispensable. Jesse , Kenton, Marcus, John , Mike Raj and a host of venders fsr , lab22 , HPF, saad , John Reed just to name a few... There r also many who have done incredible work in the DME. All of this knowledge has been freely shared and I have drawn from it all...

I like to share what I've learned as I have been helped. I also love working on perfecting these cars... I have a few more ideas up my sleeve and haven't had this inch fun since building my first car at 17.... a 62 Chev Belair with a outlaw sprint motor and figured out how to run a Hilborn mechanical FI and designed in an electric fuel pump for the street.... I was told it was not possible.... So I like figuring things till they perform to my expectations.... I like efficiency first then torque then horse power....
Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #17
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I love mechanical fuel injection.. Basic mechanics and no ecu to dick with.. Kinda fun.
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #18
being3
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post
I love mechanical fuel injection.. Basic mechanics and no ecu to dick with.. Kinda fun.

Me too... Change the pill and then check the plugs... I still tune with reading the plugs... AFR is a guide but plugs tell the story....

Last edited by being3; 02-18-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #19
being3
OEM ///Member

Just added Vanos fault capability for HPF cars... Basically restoring factory functionality for Vanos code. Codes will helpful and trust worthy to diagnose Vanos issues should they arise... That was a big pain with r cars should a problem develop which in my case happened took me months to figure faulty selinoid as the culprit and lots of needless sensor swaps ...

Also working on DME to run r turbo cars as a backup on DME should the AEM EMS, Jumper-box or harness failure... I like to call it TFT "Turbo Fault Tolerance." All u would have to do is unplug jumper box and reconnect to DME and drive off... Functionality will be limited to WG spring boost limit and pump gas tune.. Will be for low compression or stock motor...

Last edited by being3; 02-18-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #20
being3
OEM ///Member

Just finished remote tuning AEM and implementing DME changes to an HPF car with low compression... He says: "the car now drives amazing and that it takes off from a standstill like a stock" he has a big clutch and close to 800rwhp and found to was like an on off switch and now it's a lot easier to feather the throttle to engage it a lot smother from a stop...

The change it makes to the drivability of the car is remarkable.

Last edited by being3; 02-20-2014 at 07:06 PM.