E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
mag48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morrisville, PA
Posts: 19
My Ride: 330ic
Emergency Mode Manual Operator

There is a problem with my top. I was able to close it. I wanted to open it manually . . . I released the lid with the button. . . and released the top from the windshield. . .but it will not freely move freely. Help is appreciated
mag48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
tcphoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,073
My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
I had an issue with my top last summer and I thought the manual said not to take the top down manually.
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
taylor192
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Best Place on Earth
Posts: 1,794
My Ride: 2003.5 M3
We need to sticky a thread on manually opening and closing the top. There are actually 2 sets of latches the front allen key controls. There's the latches at the windshield, and latches at the first hinge of the top. If the first hinge will not fold then you have to keep turning the allen key. If you watch the first hinge while turning the allen key you'll see a latch move.

The manual advises against it cause I think its not easy to get the storage cover to lock manually. I could not get the storage cover to lock when opening the top manually.

Last edited by taylor192; 02-05-2013 at 11:48 AM.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
mag48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morrisville, PA
Posts: 19
My Ride: 330ic
Thanks for your reply. . .Have you or any one been able to raise and lower the roof manually?? . I noticed I had to turn the allen key in the windshield alot to close the roof. . . what you said makes sense. Have you tried to close the cover using the allen key on the closing motor inbetween the rear seats?
mag48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
taylor192
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Best Place on Earth
Posts: 1,794
My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
The manual advises against it cause I think its not easy to get the storage cover to lock manually. I could not get the storage cover to lock when opening the top manually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag48 View Post
Thanks for your reply. . .Have you or any one been able to raise and lower the roof manually?? . I noticed I had to turn the allen key in the windshield alot to close the roof. . . what you said makes sense. Have you tried to close the cover using the allen key on the closing motor inbetween the rear seats?
See my reply above. I was unable to get the storage cover to lock with the top down.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
mag48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morrisville, PA
Posts: 19
My Ride: 330ic
I am just trying to troubleshoot here. . . I just want to put the top down to see if there is anything oviously wrong. .. . and then put it back up. Have any of you been able to do this manually ??? And if so what is the sequence.
mag48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
taylor192
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Best Place on Earth
Posts: 1,794
My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag48 View Post
I am just trying to troubleshoot here. . . I just want to put the top down to see if there is anything oviously wrong. .. . and then put it back up. Have any of you been able to do this manually ??? And if so what is the sequence.
You can put the top down manually, you just cannot lock the storage cover to leave it down and drive away.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
mag48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morrisville, PA
Posts: 19
My Ride: 330ic
I have tried to lower it manually but it too ridged . . . can't move it .. . . I released it from the windshield what are the next steps. . . your help is appreciated.
mag48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
taylor192
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Best Place on Earth
Posts: 1,794
My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
We need to sticky a thread on manually opening and closing the top. There are actually 2 sets of latches the front allen key controls. There's the latches at the windshield, and latches at the first hinge of the top. If the first hinge will not fold then you have to keep turning the allen key. If you watch the first hinge while turning the allen key you'll see a latch move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag48 View Post
I have tried to lower it manually but it too ridged . . . can't move it .. . . I released it from the windshield what are the next steps. . . your help is appreciated.
I posted the trick previously, see above. If that's not clear take it to a shop before you damage the top.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
mag48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Morrisville, PA
Posts: 19
My Ride: 330ic
So once the "first hinge" is released the top should be foldable.
Thanks Taylor . . . your comments are both helpfull and appreciated.
mag48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use