E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #21
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
So terrorism is a criminal act and not an act of war?
I would say both. Definitely criminal, but wouldn't you need to identify the country that the terrorist is associated with and respond?

I think it's kind of creepy that just because someone in a supposedly high level position has a hunch that you might be a threat to the US that you could just be snuffed out like that with no due process that's supposed to be constitutionally guaranteed.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #22
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
This constant one-upping and hypocrisy-pointing-out exhibitions do absolutely nothing to enhance political discourse. Nobody is seriously challenging the executive branch when it comes to authorized killings of Americans with ties to terrorists who travel overseas. The public doesn't care about it and neither do the Republicans in Congress. Give it a rest. Pointing out that the media crucified Bush for lesser "crimes" is just pointless score keeping that makes politics into a game when it should be about getting the right set of policies in place.

Who here actually disagrees with the Obama administration on this particular subject?
Me.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #23
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
The issue is, if they are abroad, what are the costs in bringing them home to trial? Send troops over there to possibly get killed? Based on the description/instance that the Obama administration outlines a warranted drone strike, I can't say I disagree with it. On US soil, sure, get them, but abroad? Light em up IMHO.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #24
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
The issue is, if they are abroad, what are the costs in bringing them home to trial? Send troops over there to possibly get killed? Based on the description/instance that the Obama administration outlines a warranted drone strike, I can't say I disagree with it. On US soil, sure, get them, but abroad? Light em up IMHO.
Don't you think that might set a pretty dangerous precedent?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
People like to live that dream that Bush walked into office with clean sheet from Clinton. That's not true. Clinton left with roughly $6 trillion in debt. Bush Left with 8 trillion. Simple math reveals he was responsible for
$2 Trillion.

At the moment, we sit at $16 Trillion.
Republicans will lie about anything, every time.

BushCo ran the national debt up to $11 trillion before he waltzed back to his hole in texas.

Stop lying.

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #26
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Our criminal justice system and constitution disagree with it. There are plenty of known criminals, we can't just go round them up too. We are innocent until proven guilty, and the burden of proof is on the state. Terrorists are criminals.

I never would have pegged you for someone to casually disregard the constitutional rights of others just because it seems like a good idea. Also, you have to point out the hypocrisy because otherwise you will only have the MSM narrative inundating the people with one-sided BS.
al-Awlaki was given due process. He was tried and found guilty in absentia in a Yemeni court. The Yemeni government declared his life forfeit and authorized the US government to terminate him via Predator strike.

And terrorists are NOT criminals. Jurisprudence on this is pretty clear. And the top lawyers in Justice in both the Bush and Obama Administrations have made it clear that these terrorists can not and will not be held to the same civilian standard that actual criminals are afforded.

If that were the case, many of these terrorists would have their cases before court dismissed because we detained them for a time too long without arraignment to be considered "speedy".

The lawmakers and the candidates and the media can blather all they want on the Constitutional rights of terrorists, but every executive in office has done what was necessary to uphold his oath in office and barring a few symbolic rebukes (Boumediene v Bush being the most prominent), the Federal courts have sided with the executive. This is no exception.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #27
Lair
E46Fanatic

Only in America would someone bltch because the president kills the enemy.

Apparently republicans prefer lying sack of shlt pvssies from texas who let the real enemy walk while they invade the wrong country.

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.

Last edited by Lair; 02-05-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360109963
Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #28
Manny330

My Ride: 02 330i
Send a message via AIM to Manny330
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrs2000nyc View Post
honestly, don't see much wrong with this. Don't want a drone up your a$$, don't be a terrorist.
+1
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #29
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
Don't you think that might set a pretty dangerous precedent?

Yes. I understand the possible negative effects, personally accept them, and rather deal with the risk of politicians than risk of crazy Islamist extremists that are citizens. Personal opinion, nothing more. Just like my acceptance of guns...some will fall through the cracks, some will end up in the hands of criminals, but it is a risk I am willing to accept for the "greater good." I also FULLY support torture of captured terrorists (and Im talking about KGB torture, not the soft ass waterboarding, (which is entirely psychological and be easily overcome), do NOT support due process for actual terrorists (terrorists that either carried out an attack, or attempted to carry out an attack.) I fully support executing them on the whitehouse lawn. That dude that tried to light up times square....he should have been killed without trial. Traitors IMHO do not deserve due process. (I realize this is not the law, just wishful thinking on my part.)

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 02-05-2013 at 07:04 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #30
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Only in America would someone bltch because the president kills the enemy.

Apparently republicans prefer lying sack of shlt pvssies from texas who let the real enemy walk while they invade the wrong country.
I don't think anyone is bitching about the fact that the president is killing the enemy. I think their problem lies with HOW they are being killed.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #31
Lair
E46Fanatic

What difference does it make?

It's the enemy.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #32
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
What difference does it make?

It's the enemy.
Well, thats the debate. Due process is due process. Now, do we UTILIZE due process in all instances? IMHO, no.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 02-05-2013 at 07:19 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #33
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
I would say both. Definitely criminal, but wouldn't you need to identify the country that the terrorist is associated with and respond?

I think it's kind of creepy that just because someone in a supposedly high level position has a hunch that you might be a threat to the US that you could just be snuffed out like that with no due process that's supposed to be constitutionally guaranteed.

It is questionable territory. But how you define it is how it should be approached. A criminal offense deals more due processes and whether or not the individual is guilty or not--courts, laws, procedures, etc. etc. War doesn't concern itself with such inconveniences. In war, guilty or innocent isn't a factor.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #34
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I don't think anyone is bitching about the fact that the president is killing the enemy. I think their problem lies with HOW they are being killed.
Where they are being killed is appropriate--Yemen, Pakistan, Sudan, etc. etc. It is not like we are sending drones into Germany to take out these guys.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #35
NFRs2000nyc

I would think the CIA and the rest of them follow the offender for quite some time, gather as much intel as possible, and are pretty certain they are involved before sending a drone strike down their throat....at least that what I hope.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #36
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Where they are being killed is appropriate--Yemen, Pakistan, Sudan, etc. etc. It is not like we are sending drones into Germany to take out these guys.
I didn't disagree. If the criteria is kept high, and the citizen terrorist qualifies, I personally have no issues with it. Others still think that due process/constitution should prevail, but in this case, it is the lesser of two evils, and IMHO, I would accept the risk. This does give the government enormous power that can be mis-used though, so something should be put on the books to cap it and a certain standard set.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #37
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Remember when all those people were crying that we weren't extending all of our rights to foreign terrorists captured in battle? I do

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #38
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
But where else are we going to get our oil from?
alaska

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #39
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Anwar al-Alaki, while I don't mourn his death, I see his killing as a slippery slope. Same goes for this memo and what it is proposing. I think a better alternative is for an American citizen that is being targeted overseas that has a nexus to terrorism and is an imminent threat, is to be tried in absentia. That way there is some sort of due process, review, and evidence can be weighed. It could even be a closed court or classified hearing (like they are doing for Pfc Bradely Manning in regards to Wikileaks), but at least there is some kind of judicial process. Additionally, perhaps the sentencing can range from imposing sanctions on the individual, such as not permitting return to the US, freezing financial assets, or depending on the severity of his/her actions, maybe even the death penalty (for a capital crime - treason?).

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-05-2013 at 07:59 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #40
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Some sovereignties are ok to violate?

http://articles.cnn.com/2002-11-04/j...yers?_s=PM:LAW