E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
garrettk73

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325xi
Cool Mods for 325xi

Ive been looking for mods for my car forever and I just cant seem to find anything. any ideas? also I was wondering if strut bars would be even worth to buy..? I know these cars aren't fast but I was also wondering if anyone had any cool interior ideas. I have a sub a deck and all sorts of stuff but I just wanna add more. Im looking for inexpensive things not like a turbo. Engine work I also do have a short ram intake but im also curious about exterior ideas. HELP!!! thanks
garrettk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Interior: you can wrap it with a color of choice, sport steering wheel etc.

Exterior: change corner lights, turn signals, side markers, add halos, led tails, black out kidney grills, wheels, etc.

Last edited by limpiabota809; 02-01-2013 at 05:25 PM.
limpiabota809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Is your car completely caught up on maintenance and there is not a single thing on it that could use a replacement/refresh? If there are things that need to be done, do those before mods. JMO.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
garrettk73

everything on my car is fixed and I have absolutely no problems, runs perfectly fine
Old 02-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Is your car completely caught up on maintenance and there is not a single thing on it that could use a replacement/refresh? If there are things that need to be done, do those before mods. JMO.
Of course this, +1000000000
Old 02-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettk73 View Post
everything on my car is fixed and I have absolutely no problems, runs perfectly fine
How many miles on your car and what have you done in the past 10k or so miles?

Last edited by SamDoe1; 02-02-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
garrettk73

Quote:
How many miles on your car and what have you done in the past 10k or so miles?
I have about 140k and ive just done the normal oil change and maintenance nothing big but I still need answers for struts dunno if I should get them or not. and ive noticed very horrible gas mileage too what can I do?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
SamDoe1

Quote:
^ So this...

Quote:
I have about 140k and ive just done the normal oil change and maintenance nothing big but I still need answers for struts dunno if I should get them or not. and ive noticed very horrible gas mileage too what can I do?
^ Very much contradicts this.

Ok so now that you've pretty much admitted that your car needs actual work rather than mods, lets figure out what else is wrong with it.

Horrible gas mileage is likely related to fouled O2 sensors, plan on replacing your precat O2 sensors soon. New ones can be bought from Amazon for ~$50-60 each, you will need two.

Having 140k on the clock and only doing oil changes is a recipe for disaster. Do you have any prior records on this car? How long have you owned it?

If the following hasn't been done, please do all of these things before putting a single mod on your car.
- Cooling system refresh: New thermostat, water pump, expansion tank, and coolant.
- New fuel filter
- Check rear springs for cracking/breaking, replace if needed.
- Sway bar end links
- Check upper strut and shock mounts for wear, replace if needed
- Change transmission fluid, change fluid in both diffs, and change transfer case fluid.
- Change power steering fluid.
- Check valve cover and oil filter housing gaskets for leaks, replace if needed.
- Check intake runner for cracks/tears, replace if needed.
- Clean MAF
- Clean Idle control valve
- Check front control arms for play, replace front control arm and rear trailing arm bushings since they're likely shot by now.
- Check front axle boots for cracks/tears, replace before axle failure.

That's just a start and should keep you busy for a good while and will also help keep your mind off of mods.

Search around the site, there are DIY instructions on how to do all of these things. We're here if you need any help.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
^ I haven't done most of those things on that list, just regular oil changes and I'm at 140k with no problems so far...except of trans of course.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
^ I haven't done most of those things on that list, just regular oil changes and I'm at 140k with no problems so far...except of trans of course.
You've never changed your water pump, fuel filter, O2 sensors, and/or inspected components on your car for wear or failure?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #11
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Wow.

I'm really upset I've been doing all this unnecessary maintenance.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
bikesandcars

My Ride: 2002 325xi-sport pkg
Probably better to post on another forum where people don't get violently ill or nasty when someone mentions doing modifications to their car before they've totally rebuilt it new with OEM parts

but since you asked... New (wider) wheels, sticky tires, performance brakes, stiffer suspension, etc are all good ideas to improve looks and performance.

Exterior wise.. not sure what you'd want... but you can probably find carbon fiber bits for the standard 3 series or M that will fit.

Driveline wise... if you have an auto there isn't much to do IMO... they shift well stock.. maybe there is a chip / tune out there for better throttle response. If you have a standard you could drop the transmission and have the flywheel milled for lighter weight...

Seems like people that drive these cars are either 1) driving them for daily transport (like me) or 2) not enthusiests, so not much aftermarket support is required
bikesandcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
Wow.

I'm really upset I've been doing all this unnecessary maintenance.
Me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
Probably better to post on another forum where people don't get violently ill or nasty when someone mentions doing modifications to their car before they've totally rebuilt it new with OEM parts

but since you asked... New (wider) wheels, sticky tires, performance brakes, stiffer suspension, etc are all good ideas to improve looks and performance.

Exterior wise.. not sure what you'd want... but you can probably find carbon fiber bits for the standard 3 series or M that will fit.

Driveline wise... if you have an auto there isn't much to do IMO... they shift well stock.. maybe there is a chip / tune out there for better throttle response. If you have a standard you could drop the transmission and have the flywheel milled for lighter weight...

Seems like people that drive these cars are either 1) driving them for daily transport (like me) or 2) not enthusiests, so not much aftermarket support is required
lol wut?

No one is getting nasty or "violently ill" about anything. Just giving the OP, who is apparentlly new with this car, some good advice about how to address the daily running of his car. I don't know about you but unless my car is a garage/trailer queen, I'd rather have a bone stock but well running car than one that looks awesome but runs like sh!t.

Spend money on maintaining your car before you spend money on modding. No one is saying don't mod, but there's a lot that can and should be done before you throw that aftermarket exhaust on to prolong the life of your car especially with many E46 cars getting up into the 130k mile plus range. I bet you could do everything on the list I posted above for less than the cost of a new exhaust and it would do a lot more good than the mods.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Just giving the OP, who is apparently new with this car, some good advice
+1.

Otherwise it's just pissing away cash/time on 'mods'.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
bikesandcars

I agree on maintenance... but LMAO you guys were right on top of the OP with the same old message... very predictable... kind of gives creedance to my sarcasm above..

Last edited by bikesandcars; 02-05-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
caleb6

My Ride: 2005 330XI
Quote:
I agree on maintenance... but LMAO you guys were right on top of the OP with the same old message... very predictable... kind of gives creedance to my sarcasm above..
or confidence that what they are saying is true!
caleb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
bikesandcars

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb6 View Post
or confidence that what they are saying is true!
oh come on... of course it is.. but am I the only one who gets tired of side-tangent maintenance threads?

just tryin to help the dude out... brotha said his car is maintained...

Last edited by bikesandcars; 02-05-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
SamDoe1

Quote:
oh come on... of course it is.. but am I the only one who gets tired of side-tangent maintenance threads?

And then went on to say that it is not...

OP came in here looking for advice and that's what he got. Just not the reply he was intending to get.

You might not be the only one who gets tired of side tangent maintenance threads but there sure are a lot of us who get tired of "my car needs a buttload of work but what mods can I do first" threads.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #19
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
hell yea n!gga mod dat ish. maintenance can wait
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Quote:

Agree with you. Too much ragging on people who want ideas on mods, not a lecture on maintenance.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#325xi, #bmw, #e46