Performance Upgrades - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Djiozzio

My Ride: 01 325i
Performance Upgrades

I've got an 01 325i. Had it for a while, love the car. Looking to upgrade the performance on it a bit, anyone have any suggestions on exactly where to start?
If I had the money, I'd say screw it and just get an M3, but I don't unfortunately.
Love this car though like I said, i suppose it has sentimental value to me. I'm going to upgrade to an M3 in the future, but for now I wanna have some fun doing what I can to make my current car run faster, I'm talking overall top speed and off the line acceleration.
Automatic transmission by the way, but I suppose sport mode is close enough.
Also, if I wanted to swap out and turn the car into a stick would it be worth it or would the money just be better spent elsewhere?
So many thoughts lol...
Anything you guys got would help out, Thanks!
Djiozzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
college46

My Ride: Alpine White
save your money for preventive maintenance.

you can do cai, shark injectors, exhaust, headers, what else you want ppl to say?

The gains are 10-15 hp at most which still puts it less than a 330i stock. You should save your money and buy an m3 instead of dumping 1000's for little to no gain.

Buy a motorcycle.

Last edited by college46; 02-06-2013 at 10:05 AM.
college46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
choxor

My Ride: JDM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=523290 is the best mod you can do.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
Your car has already been tuned by BMW to put out the amount of HP it does. There is nothing cheap you can do to unlock noticeable horsepower.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
2000_328CI

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Any money that you put towards making this car faster would be better saved to purchase an M3. The problem is that there is just so little that can be done without breaking the bank.

If you can do the work yourself, consider headers but, outside of that, it will mostly be for the fun of modding rather than raw speed.

| 435 HP 328Ci | RRT Racing | Designer Wraps | Active Autowerke | Vorsteiner | STATUS Racing |
Timeless Motor Group
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
It really is always a 323 or 325...

Sell your car and buy an M3 or a 330 if you want more power. And if you want something more fun to drive, this time don't buy an automatic.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
It really is always a 323 or 325...

Yessir, yes it is.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Forced induction is going to be the only worthwhile money-for-the-HP mod for performance. BMW tunes its cars really well, there's a reason why most mods don't give much more HP.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
theOCHO

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
I don't know the top speed of non-ZHPs (125 mph, 130mph?), but I'm sure it doesn't need to be raised.

Buy some good tires, upgrade the suspension, and learn how to drive it. Those are the best mods.
theOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by theOCHO View Post
I don't know the top speed of non-ZHPs (125 mph, 130mph?), but I'm sure it doesn't need to be raised.

Buy some good tires, upgrade the suspension, and learn how to drive it. Those are the best mods.
This.

I'm surprised that people hunting speed would go for a base BMW... There are plenty of turbo/muscle cars that can deliver more power for the money.

OP, these cars are not great as speed mod platforms, but they do work very well as driver's cars. Suspension, brake, and wheel/tire mods. Speed is found in the corners, lad

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
Broach><330

My Ride: 330CI -E30 325 (S52)
Exactly if your going to blow money on it, just do coil overs, good tires, maybe some hawk pads. There's nothing you can do to get more out of it unless you spend ~5k on a supercharger and that's gonna lead to more stuff that you'll have to buy as in injectors probably a stronger fuel pump, subframe reimbursement and a lot more. So to be completely honest with you man you really need to either A sell your car and get an M3 or even look into e30's with a motor swap. M52/S52 those are personally more fun to drive than an M3. Goodluck to you my friend

High-line catback
Kosei K1's
Headers
3.15 Differential
Koni FSD, eibach sports
AA software
205k (9/16/13)

E30 S52B32 100,xxx
5spd ZF, JB LW fly, Megan Coils, OBD1 conv. Mishimoto with low temp stat, TRM 15x8, Black vinyl sport seats, MOMO mod 08, 2:93 LSD, Custom single 2.5" exhaust, SS headers, M3 rack, basically new everything on driveline.
Broach><330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 340K miles
Only gain I noticed was with my turbonator. The zip tie mod I did added nothing noticeable to the power.

Please view this vid so it looks like I'm popular. Please! https://youtu.be/995gLmVEVZk

dmax on Facebook

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
I agree with everybody above. If you want something fast in straight line, go buy a corvette. Eventually, you'll get tired of slowing down for every corner and realize you should have kept your Bimmer.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djiozzio View Post
Old 02-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 340K miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djiozzio View Post
I've got an 01 325i. Had it for a while, love the car. Looking to upgrade the performance on it a bit, anyone have any suggestions on exactly where to start?
If I had the money, I'd say screw it and just get an M3, but I don't unfortunately.
Love this car though like I said, i suppose it has sentimental value to me. I'm going to upgrade to an M3 in the future, but for now I wanna have some fun doing what I can to make my current car run faster, I'm talking overall top speed and off the line acceleration.
Also, if I wanted to swap out and turn the car into a stick would it be worth it or would the money just be better spent elsewhere?
So many thoughts lol...
Anything you guys got would help out, Thanks!
For real, read about a hundred of my posts from about a year ago...back when I still had some energy.

Rebuild your car to factory and when you're done, go and mess it up all you like. The important stuff that makes it a bmw is beneath the skin. Put wax on the body (no, California, not that kind of wax or body!)...and read threads about the failures you should expect, so you're prepared...and if you do well, your car won't strand you.

Show it you care, and it will repay you. My car actually steers itself and with helium in my large tires, will float on water. And I'm absolutely serious.

Please view this vid so it looks like I'm popular. Please! https://youtu.be/995gLmVEVZk

dmax on Facebook

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2001, 325i, mod, performance, upgrade