E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
///MRIVER

My Ride: CB M
PRO EFI help, failed v3 tune update, dealer deleted tunes, no support

Spirits are low, Looking for support on a turbo build that was inspired by this community. Project started 5 or 6 years ago and I've only driven vehicle about a mile since the start of the project.

Car is currently in need of a base map, cracked a piston, built motor and updated to pro efi v3 software, and lost all progress. Pro efi referred me to saad and to pro efi dealer for help, drove to dealer and spoke in person, bought cam triggers and changed some wiring related to h-bridge, car still wont start. they want me to drop car off for a day and I don't trust them. Trying to pull my thoughts together while looking for suggestions from FI peoples.

Thanks
///MRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
B18c1turboedek

My Ride: 2002 330ci
That's why I don't like the proefi system their is no support.any questions or concern you are directed to a dealer. I would sell it and go with the AEM infinity system they are willing to support their product.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
LarryPrebis

My Ride: Lexus
Are you controlling both cams ?? You said that you changed the cam sensor pickups?? I have maps but they utilize the Saad racing intake manifold and LS style throttle body.
LarryPrebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
OP hearing about a build that has taken 5-6 years to get to this point definitely isn't very promising and I'm sure this has hit both the pocket book and enthusiasm to modding cars. With the info you've shared with us perhaps the best solution is to find a reputable ProEFI dealer that could get your project rolling? I agree the support structure isn't the most ideal and there are other options but that being said I will agree that the best solution will always be to have an install like this handled by someone with the most experience. I'm unfamiliar with good east coast options but I will provide an alternate that I highly recommend that is well versed in both AEM, ProEFI, and many other EMS...FSR Motorsports. They have worked with the E46 platform and both ECU's. That being said it will require shipping and expenses to get your car running again...I'm throwing an option out there that you can definitely trust.

Edit ^ Larry @ Sound Performance has made the most power on the E46 M3 on ProEFI so that would probably be the closest option.

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 04-23-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
///MRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryPrebis View Post
Are you controlling both cams ?? You said that you changed the cam sensor pickups?? I have maps but they utilize the Saad racing intake manifold and LS style throttle body.
Thanks for the reply. I'm Not sure, both half moon triggers are installed and cams are rewired directly to h1 h2 on proefi. changes were made solely per the request of proefi dealer as he was supposedly sending us a good base map that required the changes.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
///MRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
OP hearing about a build that has taken 5-6 years to get to this point definitely isn't very promising and I'm sure this has hit both the pocket book and enthusiasm to modding cars. With the info you've shared with us perhaps the best solution is to find a reputable ProEFI dealer that could get your project rolling? I agree the support structure isn't the most ideal and there are other options but that being said I will agree that the best solution will always be to have an install like this handled by someone with the most experience. I'm unfamiliar with good east coast options but I will provide an alternate that I highly recommend that is well versed in both AEM, ProEFI, and many other EMS...FSR Motorsports. They have worked with the E46 platform and both ECU's. That being said it will require shipping and expenses to get your car running again...that being said I'm throwing an option out there that you can definitely trust.

Edit ^ Larry @ Sound Performance has made the most power on the E46 M3 on ProEFI so that would probably be the closest option.
Appreciate the suggestion, It's also weird that when I flashed v2 maps car would start and drive but when I converted the same settings to V3 as per proefi instruction and flash those files I'd get nothing but a back fire per 2 revolutions or so when cranking. Seems like If somebody wanted my car to start it'd be easy... I just don't know.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #7
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
Very similar situation with Pectel, made by Cosworth.

Only a handful dealers know Pectel and it has been very tough to get support.

This is my 8 th year on Pectel and even a new firmware is like finding a gold mine......

E46 M3 Coupe 60-130 mph 4.23 seconds

E46 330xi Mora Metallic Daily
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
LarryPrebis

My Ride: Lexus
OK, are you going to control the drive by wire too?? Stock throttle bodies?? Vanos still operational correct?
LarryPrebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #9
Hayden

My Ride: 2003 M3 & 1987 528e
Sorry to hear about your troubles! Where are you located on the East Coast? If you're in the North I'd contact Garth @ Undercover Performance. He's done plenty of these cars with no issue on the 128. If you're further South, Induction Performance in Tampa, FL might be a closer option. FSR is also a great choice, but a bit far. I met Ian briefly when I worked at ProEFI and he seemed like a great dude!

Undercover Performance:
http://www.undercoverperformancenj.com/new-page-1/
Ph: (856) 382-7543

Induction Performance:
http://induction-performance.myshopify.com/
Ph: (813) 443-5064

Last edited by Hayden; 04-21-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #10
///MRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryPrebis View Post
OK, are you going to control the drive by wire too?? Stock throttle bodies?? Vanos still operational correct?
Stock dme is controlling drive by wire, Vanos is operational but is controlled by proefi.

Stock throttle bodies.*

Last edited by ///MRIVER; 04-22-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
///MRIVER

Proefi dealer has sent me a map months ago and stands by the fact that map is correct and that wiring is wrong, Is there anyone technically inclined, should I post videos of wiring and cranking? I lost trust with dealer when I sent my ecu to them to be un-bricked and they sent me somebody elses Pro-128. When I called they denied it until I told them I have the serial from mine and this one doesn't match (Its also visibly used/shows marring) and then the story changed...
They said I could have my ecu back when I come in for dyno tuning because they can't un-brick it yet... It's been enough time since then..
I'm currently not comfortable with paying to get car to them and cross my fingers that no funny business is taking place (which is all i've experienced with this project).

*I agreed to drive car to them with this map and pay for dyno tuning, but map doesn't work, more dollars spent in parts and expenses gone with no result, and the wrong ECU is stress.

Last edited by ///MRIVER; 04-22-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
BMWFREEK

My Ride: E30
Did you install the cam wheels? Did you make sure the offset tang wheel is on the exhaust cam?
BMWFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #13
///MRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFREEK View Post
Did you install the cam wheels? Did you make sure the offset tang wheel is on the exhaust cam?
Yes they are installed correctly, If I remember one was centered and one was slightly offset.

Appreciate it.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #14
BMWFREEK

My Ride: E30
Are you seeing cranking faults or is the cam and crank syncing?
BMWFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #15
lrinco01

My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
Damn this sucks. OP I am sorry your experiencing this but I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

That said, Kenton hit it on the head.

What I'd like to add is there are very reputable n experienced shops tuning and installing/troubleshooting the ProEFI ems. Chris Delgado of D3 engineering in Houston is our Go-To guy here in Texas.

We all want to see this project completed or come to fruition then hear the road it took to achieve so we can all learn from the mistakes made and avoid them

Best of luck and thanks for sharing

-Rico
HPF Turbo....
Custom Built S54
Flex fuel
8XX rwhp

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953

Custom Silver CF 6Speed E46 M3 sport steering wheel
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1051908
lrinco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #16
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
I've met Chris in person, seems like a knowledgeable and stand-up guy. I second the recommendation.

2004 330i with Technique Tuning Stage 1 Kit, South Bend Stage 3 Clutch, Walbro 400 Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Modified Return Lines, E36 Fuel Filter, Ethanol Content Sensor, 550i Clutch Actuator.
93 Octane - 8.5 PSI : 309RWHP on a Superflow / 3XXRWHP on a DynoJet
E85 - ? PSI : ???RWHP on a DynoJet
First SSG MoTeC M150 Powered 330
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #17
///MRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrinco01 View Post
Damn this sucks. OP I am sorry your experiencing this but I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

That said, Kenton hit it on the head.

What I'd like to add is there are very reputable n experienced shops tuning and installing/troubleshooting the ProEFI ems. Chris Delgado of D3 engineering in Houston is our Go-To guy here in Texas.

We all want to see this project completed or come to fruition then hear the road it took to achieve so we can all learn from the mistakes made and avoid them

Best of luck and thanks for sharing

-Rico
I've been responding to PMs from some good people, I hope this is the year this thing gets on the road. It's crazy to think back to when I started this and what I thought would happen...and to be at this stage now.
despite the challenges, I look forward to sharing a success story and the road it took for the people considering custom projects without a proper education.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #18
Vert-igo

My Ride: Turbo M3 Convertible
Try and speak with James @ Saad.

Saad Racing Stage 3 Turbo / ProEFI / NX Nitrous / E85
Vert-igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #19
MKampa

My Ride: B7 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert-igo View Post
Try and speak with James @ Saad.
Jim is a cool guy, but I would stay away from saad racing, they have the reputation they do for a reason.

Last I heard ProEFI has nothing to do with them either.

Last edited by MKampa; 04-24-2015 at 08:55 PM.
MKampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #20
Vert-igo

My Ride: Turbo M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKampa View Post
Jim is a cool guy, but I would stay away from saad racing, they have the reputation they do for a reason.

Last I heard ProEFI has nothing to do with them either.
Saad Racing still use ProEFI. I just spoke with James about my ProEFI system when I ordered my Clutch Masters 850 last week.

Most people that hack on Saad have never even seen the kit. I know every nut and bolt on mine and the kit is very high quality in my opinion. Everyone has their favorite manufacturer that they are going to support. I am a happy customer.
Vert-igo is offline   Reply With Quote