E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 02:23 AM   #1
Bon_88

My Ride: 330ci
Turbo for 330ci?

Hi guys, a friend of mine has got a 530d turbo for sale. It's got me thinking whether I can install it on my 330ci? Any info would be much appreciated
Bon_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:32 AM   #2
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
His is diesel, your car is petrol => doesn´t work properly.

Last edited by daniel_f.; 10-02-2015 at 07:44 AM.
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:19 AM   #3
Bon_88

So basically all diesel turbos won't work in a petrol car right?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
daniel_f.

Well, basically yes as the exhaust temp is pretty different. That said, back in the days when nickel wasn´t that expensive, the chargers even for diesel engines took much more abuse without complaining.

But today, where its all about maximizing income, i wouldn´t trust a diesel charger on a petrol engine. I´d rather purchase a cheapo chinese clone.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Bon_88

Thanks for the reply. It's something that I had been thinking about for a while but at least you've cleared that up now. With these cheapo chinese clones, can u tell me more about those. How cheap are we talking about? Where can u get them from? Roughly how much power gain do u think I'd get if installed and what's the life span on them do u reckon?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
daniel_f.

Ebay is probably the easiest source. You should be able to get a GT35 for ~300€ and you probably need another 1000€ to get the last bits. I assume you can weld or at least have a friend who´s able to TIG weld some parts.

I don´t know anything about MOT in the UK, so thats up to your own, but expect some 400ish hp from such a build Tuning is pretty easy these days and you can do it on your own.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon_88 View Post
Hi guys, a friend of mine has got a 530d turbo for sale. It's got me thinking whether I can install it on my 330ci? Any info would be much appreciated
We have a Supercharger Kit that fits your 330ci perfectly.
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #8
Bon_88

Thanks daniel_f. 400ish sounds very tempting n I'm sure gona be looking into that. Installing a turbocharger won't be a problem with MOT. I know how a turbo works n that it gives u a nice but that's about it. Mind letting me know what other bits I would need if I was to get 1?
Old 10-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #9
Bon_88

Viral@activeautowerke, can u post the link please? Thank u
Old 10-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
daniel_f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon_88 View Post
Thanks daniel_f. 400ish sounds very tempting n I'm sure gona be looking into that. Installing a turbocharger won't be a problem with MOT. I know how a turbo works n that it gives u a nice but that's about it. Mind letting me know what other bits I would need if I was to get 1?
Actually the very same parts that are included in a supercharger kit, which is pretty easy to reveal as there are some. At least you need much more fuel, so bigger injectors and a uprated fuel pump. Maybe a bigger MAF, but that depends on you.

Have a look on here about turbo conversions and turbo kits and you get the idea whats missing.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:23 AM   #11
Bon_88

That's true. I'll will have a browse around now. Thanks mate