E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #1
xperia_man

My Ride: E46 330CI
My Horn randomly goes off HELP !!!!

Hi everyone

Hope you are all well

I have my pride and joy a 2006 E46 330Ci in Estoril Blue, a BMW Individual model and the other night i was driving down a Bumpy road and all of a sudden the Horn went off. I proceeded to go home park up turn the engine off and leave the car over night, next day i turned the car back on and did and full turn both ways then horn went off again on both turns.I then took the car for a long drive tonight on the motorway and it was fine went over some bumpy roads fine on the way back home put the car into sport mode at some lights and voila its back the horn going off any ideas please help me out i know i am new

Thanks to all
Paul
xperia_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:49 AM   #2
Greg330CI

My Ride: E46 330CIc
Hi Paul.
I have a 2004 E46 330 Cic Individual in Orient Blue, with Champagne Nappa Leather Interior. Great Car! I had the same problem with the horn as you describe. The problem was that a small screw had come loose with the steering wheel hub and was rolling around and occasionally made the horn contact. To fix it, you need to remove the airbag from the steering wheel. It is held in by 2 spring clips, one either side which you have to release. If you position the wheel centrally and look at the housing behind the wheel, you will see a hole on either side at about 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. You need to get a long flat blade screwdriver that fits into the hole and then try to locate the spring clip and use the flat part of the blade to push it up. It is fiddly, but that will then release one side of the airbag. Do the same on the other side and yo can then carefully remove it. DO NOT disconnect the airbag connector unless you have previously disconnected the negative battery terminal otherwise you will get an airbag error warning light that you cannot reset without a (dealer) computer. Locate and replace the screw with a little loctite. Then replace the airbag. It just clips back in itself once you push it back evenly. Should do the trick. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	330 CiC.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	631585  
Greg330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:54 AM   #3
xperia_man

My Ride: E46 330CI
Hi Greg

Thank you so much for your reply do I need to disconnect the battery negative terminal before attempting any of the work you have said ?

Thanks again
Paul
xperia_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:24 AM   #4
Greg330CI

Hi Paul. It is probably better to do that first, then you can disconnect the airbag and put it (carefully) aside to replace the screw. When you have reconnected and re fitted the airbag and re connected the battery, you may find that you have to cycle all the windows a few times to get them to reset the auto close features etc. On mine, I simply use each individual window switch to cycle up and down about 3 times then they all seem to reset OK. Good luck. I think there may be a separate write up with photos on removal of the airbag, may make it easier for you. If not on this forum, then try Bimmerfest forum. Good luck with it. Let me know if you solve it.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg330CI View Post
Hi Paul.
I have a 2004 E46 330 Cic Individual in Orient Blue, with Champagne Nappa Leather Interior. Great Car! I had the same problem with the horn as you describe. The problem was that a small screw had come loose with the steering wheel hub and was rolling around and occasionally made the horn contact. To fix it, you need to remove the airbag from the steering wheel. It is held in by 2 spring clips, one either side which you have to release. If you position the wheel centrally and look at the housing behind the wheel, you will see a hole on either side at about 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. You need to get a long flat blade screwdriver that fits into the hole and then try to locate the spring clip and use the flat part of the blade to push it up. It is fiddly, but that will then release one side of the airbag. Do the same on the other side and yo can then carefully remove it. DO NOT disconnect the airbag connector unless you have previously disconnected the negative battery terminal otherwise you will get an airbag error warning light that you cannot reset without a (dealer) computer. Locate and replace the screw with a little loctite. Then replace the airbag. It just clips back in itself once you push it back evenly. Should do the trick. Good luck!
That describes EXACTLY what happened to me and what I did to fix it. The mystery was a) why the car was built with an extra screw in the first place and b) why it took years for a loose screw to become a problem (where was it the whole time before?!)
Old 05-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
Greg330CI

In my case, the screw had come out from where it was originally screwed into. To be honest, I cannot recall exactly where from but it was obvious at the time with the airbag removed. The fact that it had come loose did not seem to cause any other problem, other than the horn going off randomly when the wheel was turned.

Tags
horn, random question