E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Redflea

My Ride: 2005 330Ci/2003 530i
Coding question...did wife get it right?

Just installed siren/tilt sensor in my wifes 330Ci, and we're waiting for a BMW scanner to arrive so I can do the coding to enable it myself. In the meantime my wife called the dealer (where's the trust!?! ) about them enabling the alarm I installed and changing programming on a couple of items.

She says that the service advisor she talked to told her that if she brings it in to them to program ($185) that they will also update all of the computer modules in the car. Now she's hot to take it in so she is up-to-date.

BS?

Hadn't heard this before. Car has not had any computer update since April 2007, a 2006 vintage update related to the computer not trapping emissions system malfunctions. (SI B12 06 06 Engine Electrical Systems June 2006.)

Appreciate any feedback.
Redflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Even if you had the "scanner," I highly doubt you'll be able to update the DME. Further, if your wife's 330ci flashes when locking/unlocking, programming for alarm is already enabled.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Even if you had the "scanner," I highly doubt you'll be able to update the DME. Further, if your wife's 330ci flashes when locking/unlocking, programming for alarm is already enabled.
It's the BMW 1.4.0 scanner, and does (assuming the HW works, there are reliability issues) have the ability to program the car. There's a large thread on it here in the forum.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...893444&page=65

The car did not have an alarm on it and was not enabled, I've confirmed that.

There is a setting to flash the lights when an alarm is not installed, that's all she has now.

Would appreciate feedback on my question...whether there is any substance/value to a SW update as a part of the programming by the BMW dealer.

Last edited by Redflea; 02-07-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
My car didn't have the alarm, lights did blink when locking and unlocking, I installed the alarm, and it works just fine without programming at all. And damn that siren is loud.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
It's the BMW 1.4.0 scanner, and does (assuming the HW works, there are reliability issues) have the ability to program the car. There's a large thread on it here in the forum.

The car did not have an alarm on it and was not enabled, I've confirmed that.

There is a setting to flash the lights when an alarm is not installed, that's all she has now.

Would appreciate feedback on my question...whether there is any substance/value to a SW update as a part of the programming by the BMW dealer.
So the software includes the necessary daten V41 files to upgrade s/w ??

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 02-07-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360274141
Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
My car didn't have the alarm, lights did blink when locking and unlocking, I installed the alarm, and it works just fine without programming at all. And damn that siren is loud.
Unfortunately I have not been as lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
So the software includes the necessary daten V41 files to upgrade s/w ??
There are numerous posts on that thread from folks using it to program their e46, so it (and accompanying software) evidently contains the necessary connectivity/bits to make changes to the programmed settings. it is not used for "upgrading s/w" - I would expect only BMW can do that.

The first page in this thread has a good illustration of the screens/actions it supports...

Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
shovelit

My Ride: 03 325xi and 04 330x
The only way I was able to enable the optical confirmation while locking and unlocking was to change the coding to say it was equipped with an alarm.
shovelit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Unfortunately I have not been as lucky.

There are numerous posts on that thread from folks using it to program their e46, so it (and accompanying software) evidently contains the necessary connectivity/bits to make changes to the programmed settings. it is not used for "upgrading s/w" - I would expect only BMW can do that.

The first page in this thread has a good illustration of the screens/actions it supports...

Like I said, I did my own using winkfp. it can be done. as far as coding modules, i use ncs expert.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Why not ask the dealer what updates have come out since 2007?

If they're selling you something they should be able to tell you what it is. If they can't, then you know it's BS.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
NukeMiller

My Ride: 2005 325i
Listen to E46 Mango....if you get a K+DCAN cable that hooks up to USB, then you can download BMW standard tools for free (INPA, NCS Expert, Tool 32, and WinKFP) and do all the programming yourself....like he said, with the right Daten V41 files (I have them and can link you to where to get them), and with the proper part number, you can update and program all you want...also have a battery charger connected...do all this at your own expense though...if you brick it, you are going to have to buy a new DME and then still pay BMW to program it

Last edited by NukeMiller; 02-07-2013 at 05:43 PM.
NukeMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

^+1 and be especially careful with MS45 DMEs when updating them. They say they are particularly sensitive to voltage spikes/drops during programming and you'll end up w/ a brick. Ask Terra!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
shovelit

My Ride: 03 325xi and 04 330x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlag96 View Post
Why not ask the dealer what updates have come out since 2007?

If they're selling you something they should be able to tell you what it is. If they can't, then you know it's BS.
Not entirely true.
The dealer will probably have to hook their equipment up to your car to determine which software version you currently have in each of your modules. They will then be able to tell you if your current versions update but not necessarily how many times or even what the updates correct. I think it's a good deal for $185 if they do ALL control units. Plus if something goes wrong and they brick one of your modules, it's on them.
shovelit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
Redflea

I didn't talk to the dealer, wife made the initial call, but she basically was told what shoelit said - depends on what has been updated in the past. My wife could have given them her VIN and asked them to look it up, but she didn't have the time at the time.

But...all this is for naught, unfortunately, it's been taken out of my hands. My wife has decided that she isn't willing to wait any longer and is taking her vert into the dealer on Monday for them to program. She's got a streak of impatience to her, so I'm not too surprised.

Thanks, Mango, for the comment about upgrading using winkfp - I wasn't aware of that capability w/the K+DCAN cable. I'm still reading up on coding options (have an e39 as well) in my currently very limited spare time. I'm very interested to see how the PA Soft works when it arrives in a few weeks. If I had known about the K+DCAN option first, I probably would have gone that way, but I didn't come across the K+DCAN info until just a couple of days ago.

I do have one remaining question - I can test the alarm on my e39 easily as it has a motion sensor in the car. Vert does not. The e39 will also provide a brief chirp if get in the car, set the alarm, turn off the motion sensor, and then start the car w/the key.

What's the best way to test the alarm on a vert? Aside from jacking it up, is there a way to set off the alarm once it's armed, aside from breaking a window or something?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Sit in the car, lock/arm the car. Then open the door with th door handle...that should set it off, I think
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Just installed siren/tilt sensor in my wifes 330Ci, and we're waiting for a BMW scanner to arrive so I can do the coding to enable it myself. In the meantime my wife called the dealer (where's the trust!?! ) about them enabling the alarm I installed and changing programming on a couple of items.

She says that the service advisor she talked to told her that if she brings it in to them to program ($185) that they will also update all of the computer modules in the car. Now she's hot to take it in so she is up-to-date.

BS?

Hadn't heard this before. Car has not had any computer update since April 2007, a 2006 vintage update related to the computer not trapping emissions system malfunctions. (SI B12 06 06 Engine Electrical Systems June 2006.)

Appreciate any feedback.
The car has firmware that's in the computer. This firmware says a sensor should have a reading within a range of 1 to 5 (for example), but a properly reading sensor reads 4.5 as the nominal input to the computer. The dealer can update the firmware so the expected input is in the range of 3 to 7 instead of 1 to 5. This new firmware prevents false positives -- errant malfunction displays.

Among systems with errant messages is the SRS (airbag system), there are others, but this one comes to mind as an example.

NOBODY will know what firmware your car is running with without doing a data dump to see. Getting the car reflashed is usually a good idea, but I'm thinking the price is rather high. This is a job that should take Shop Rate for one hour -- the actual job takes about 5 minutes. They can code the alarm at the same time.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #16
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho@home View Post
Sit in the car, lock/arm the car. Then open the door with th door handle...that should set it off, I think
Tried that - won't let me open it. The interior handle is disabled, in her vert and in my e39. Pulling the handle doesn't do anything - it's disengaged.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho@home View Post
Sit in the car? Why.

Close the doors, lock the car. Try opening the car or hit it a couple of times with your hand (flat, not your fist). Nothing will happen though. The alarm has to be coded ON else it will not do anything.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
jdstrickland

Quote:
Tried that - won't let me open it. The interior handle is disabled, in her vert and in my e39. Pulling the handle doesn't do anything - it's disengaged.
That's correct. If the car is locked from the outside, the inside door handles are disabled. Crooks have to break the window and climb in and out of the hole they made. The doors will never open until the doors are unlocked with the key, or the remote.

Another test for you...
Roll the window down and lock the door from outside, then reach in and start the car. It will not start.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #19
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
The car has firmware that's in the computer. This firmware says a sensor should have a reading within a range of 1 to 5 (for example), but a properly reading sensor reads 4.5 as the nominal input to the computer. The dealer can update the firmware so the expected input is in the range of 3 to 7 instead of 1 to 5. This new firmware prevents false positives -- errant malfunction displays.

Among systems with errant messages is the SRS (airbag system), there are others, but this one comes to mind as an example.

NOBODY will know what firmware your car is running with without doing a data dump to see. Getting the car reflashed is usually a good idea, but I'm thinking the price is rather high. This is a job that should take Shop Rate for one hour -- the actual job takes about 5 minutes. They can code the alarm at the same time.
Thanks...Yeah, I told my wife I'm going to take the car in and when I do I'm going to talk to them directly about the cost. I've flashed firmware on enough devices at work and at home to know what it is like, and short of something going very wrong I can't see how they could spend more than an hour on this. My wife spoke to another dealership and they were in the same range, so it appears the local dealers are similar. I'm going to call a couple of independents tomorrow. The one I usually go to said they were going to do this for free for me at first, then they said they would charge for it, and my wife says if she's going to pay she wants the dealer to do it.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
That's correct. If the car is locked from the outside, the inside door handles are disabled. Crooks have to break the window and climb in and out of the hole they made. The doors will never open until the doors are unlocked with the key, or the remote.

Another test for you...
Roll the window down and lock the door from outside, then reach in and start the car. It will not start.
I tried that - both on my e39 (alarm enabled) and e46, and both would start. I actually got into the car, shut the door and locked the doors/enabled the alarm w/the key remote, disabled the motion sensor (second press on lock button on remote), and then put the key in the ignition and started the car. On my e39, there was a small chirp/warble as I turn the key and the car started right up.

I think it has to do w/the programmable setting that allows you to disable the alarm via remote and key, or just remote. On my e39 it appears the option to disable via both key and remote are enabled.