E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Official Post a Video of Your E46 Idling Thread

This is a thread for reference purposes only. Many fanatics on here wandering around threads hoplessly; often A) spending thousands to fix a sound that is normal or B) thinking that a sound is fine, but actually is a sound that signifies a failing part or even a bad engine.

There are 3 Rules:
1) Record 0:15 to 0:30 video of your E46 idling, with hood open, and camera 3-4 feet away from engine bay. ENGINE MUST BE AT MIDDLE OPERATING TEMP. NO COLD IDLES.
2) State what kind of engine mods/ maintenance you have done to your E46.
3) This thread is to help people out. A lot of posts will be made, often the same. Bear with us and have patience.

hopefully with the number of posts we get, we can zero in on what the normal noise is. And help cure members who are off from the norm. Please record on high quality device too. We are fanatics, not magicians.

Last edited by Sweetness; 02-07-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360295556
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Audio that is recorded on different devices can vary wildly from one video to the next. The same can be said for devices they're played back on. What someone hears in real life may not sound the same in a video. Also depending on environment, sounds can bounce around giving false impression. I understand your good intent, but I don't see how this thread can be of any help when the results will be subjective at best.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
^+1 Agree w/Mango. Here is my car this morning after the commute to work. The mic in my iPhone just doesn't pick up most of the sound. My engine is quiet, but not this quiet. Turn your volume up.

Bone stock engine, recently repaired DISA. Lot's of maintenance pending, mostly oil leak items. CCV is on the list as well.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.

Last edited by wildirish317; 02-08-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Added maintenance info.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
I could tell! Sounds like a great engine. Mine has a thumping noise I've been trying to tackle. Keep them coming
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote