E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
jlaroc1990

My Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
Mid-size school or big state school?

Hey guys, like the title says, right now I'm trying to determine whether or not ti would be worth the extra money to attend a state school or if a more local (closer to home) regional school will set me up just as well in the job market. The schools in question are 1. App state 2. N.C. State or 3. UNC Wilmington.

I will be done with my associates after the upcoming semester. I am 22 and I'm not really interested in the "college experience" like the high schoolers that will be attending. I'm more interested in whether the bigger school such as NC state will be worth attending when it comes to finding a job afterwards. My degree of study will be Economics.

I guess my question really is "Is the name NC state really worth the extra money over a school like App or UNCW? Any help would be appreciated as no one in my family has attended a University.
jlaroc1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
NCSU or Wilmington. I never would have graduated at UNCW though, too many girls and too much fun, I Fvcking love that town.

Is the tuition difference that big? They're all public schools. For Econ you should be shooting for Chapel Hell, but UNCW and NCSU both have decent business schools.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 12-18-2012 at 05:30 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
jlaroc1990

Your thoughts on UNCW are spot on man, I went down their for a weekend and it was a blast. I think I figured up that it would be something like 14000 more over the two years that it would take to earn the degree at NCSU over App or UNCW. Apps per year for a student is ~14,000 for everything NCSU is ~20,000 per year, UNCW is ~15,000. Btw Econ is my intended major.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Search my thread about employers hiring more graduates from big state schools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
If there is one thing I despise most it's blacks always pulling the race card. It's so annoying and is often misplaced.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Big State.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaroc1990 View Post
Your thoughts on UNCW are spot on man, I went down their for a weekend and it was a blast. I think I figured up that it would be something like 14000 more over the two years that it would take to earn the degree at NCSU over App or UNCW. Apps per year for a student is ~14,000 for everything NCSU is ~20,000 per year, UNCW is ~15,000. Btw Econ is my intended major.
Where are you getting those numbers? I just started my second degree at NCSU and tuition is $7k with $1400 of that going to insurance. Are you planning on spending $13k on housing and books? Rent in Wilmington isn't much different than Raleigh; I lived there for nearly 2 years. Is the tuition THAT much cheaper?

flickher

Old 12-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
jlaroc1990

http://www.collegeportraits.org/NC/Appalachian/costs
http://uncw.edu/finaid/costofattendance.htm
http://www7.acs.ncsu.edu/financial_aid/costug.html

sorry I was off a bit on app and uncw. It looks like they are all within 3-4k. I pulled those other numbers out of my head really, I've been doing ALOT of research on cost so sorry for the confused data on my part.

Last edited by jlaroc1990; 12-18-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
jlaroc1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Search my thread about employers hiring more graduates from big state schools...
I did a bit of searching but did not come across that. Ill check it out thanks.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
Big state school for more girls
ImPulSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
jlaroc1990

Well I guess it is a huge difference in job opportunities. I read through bimmerfan08's thread and NCSU is 19th nationally. Thats good enough for me. I really did not expect the name to be that big of a deal, but what do I know.... I've never attended a University.

One more thing guys, I'm already accepted to both UNCW and App state. My next semester will start before I hear back from NCSU, should I take classes that would satisfy the degree at NCSU or take the classes that I would need for the other two. I know this is confusing but the situation is as follows.... I have taken two foreign language classes (American Sign Language) here at comm. college, that is all I need for App and UNCW, NCSU requires that I take one more of ASL or the previous two will be elective hours and I will still have to take 3 other language classes to get credit at that school. This is because they do not offer ASL but do accept it as a Foreign language. NCSU does not require that I take accounting (I hate accounting) but the other two schools do, should I take it instead of ASL or take ASL and not be able to take Accounting. (My class schedule is already maxed out so I can't take both).

Cliff: So to wrap things up, do I put my eggs in the basket of NCSU before I know if I am accepted or do I play it safe (or somewhat dumb if I do get in at NCSU) and take Accounting for the schools that I am already accepted to???
Old 12-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
jlaroc1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
For Econ you should be shooting for Chapel Hell, but UNCW and NCSU both have decent business schools.
Transferring to UNC is VERY difficult, I work full time so my grades aren't spectacular. I currently have a 3.188 gpa on all college course work.....don't make fun, I know its not that good for a comm. college but its been tough finding the time to do it all. I don't think that gets me into Chapel Hill. In fact i've got my fingers crossed that ill get into NCSU cause I know thats not an easy school either.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
cowmoo32
drunken science

You can apply as a non-degree seeking student to NCSU and transfer in to your program the next semester. My grades weren't spectacular from my first degree and the program I'm in now is the hardest to get into as a freshman, so I met with the head of the dept a year in advance and he told me to apply as NDS. I did, was accepted back in about a day, and was accepted into my program a few weeks ago. Get in touch with the right people and you can make it happen.

flickher

Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
jlaroc1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
You can apply as a non-degree seeking student to NCSU and transfer in to your program the next semester. My grades weren't spectacular from my first degree and the program I'm in now is the hardest to get into as a freshman, so I met with the head of the dept a year in advance and he told me to apply as NDS. I did, was accepted back in about a day, and was accepted into my program a few weeks ago. Get in touch with the right people and you can make it happen.
^you sir are very helpful, I may do this pretty soon. I need to visit NCSU and hopefully get in touch with someone about this. This is honestly the only school that I was nervous about getting into and its turning into pure hell waiting to here back. Btw the few phone calls i made to NCSU, the people are WAY more willing to help than the other schools.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
cowmoo32
drunken science

Screw the admissions department, talk to the people directly responsible for your program, they're more in tune with what it takes to get into their college. If it means applying to the university as an animal sciences student and transferring, do it. I made the mistake of applying as undecided my first time around and it fvcked me hard. Now, both the head of my dept and the guy in charge of admissions for the dept knows my face and I haven't had any trouble.

Some colleges within the university are easier to get into than others and transferring to the one you want can be easier than applying directly to it. Given that State is an engineering school I don't know how competiti the business school is but keep transferring in mind.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 12-18-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Whatever you study be passionate and active and the jobs will come

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
If there is one thing I despise most it's blacks always pulling the race card. It's so annoying and is often misplaced.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
jlaroc1990

I think that is what I did. I contacted the curriculum director at the Poole school of Management yesterday. Like I said, most schools have transferred me around and acted like they did not know the answers to my questions but the people at NCSU just found the answer and got back to me the same day.... On states website, it says in house transfers are just as demanding or whatever as transferring from another school.... true? cause this has been a mess.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
cowmoo32
drunken science

Meh, it probably depends but both engineering and physics gave me the option of making a B in a class they choose and they let me matriculate in no questions asked. My grades were holding me back both times and they both offered me the same path. I don't see why the business school would be any different.

flickher

Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #18
jlaroc1990

If my admission does not go as I hope; I will definitely look into this route. Thanks for the help. Ill buy you a beer one day.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
cowmoo32
drunken science

No problem man, learn from my mistakes.

flickher

Old 12-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #20
NJ///M

My Ride: TACO TRUCK/CBR600F4
Go big or go home

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend; Those with loaded guns and those who dig."
NJ///M is offline   Reply With Quote