E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Calif. seeks to adopt nation's toughest gun laws

What is this? Monkey see, monkey do?

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) Weeks after New York enacted the nation's toughest gun laws, California lawmakers said Thursday they want their state to do even more in response to recent mass shootings, particularly the Connecticut school massacre.

Democrats who control the state Legislature revealed 10 proposals that they said would make California the most restrictive state for possessing firearms.

They were joined at a Capitol news conference by San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee and Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, along with several police chiefs.

"California has always been a leader on the issue of gun safety," Villaraigosa said. "New York has stepped up and stepped forward. California needs to answer the call."

Among the measures is one that would outlaw the future sale of semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines. The restriction would prevent quick reloading by requiring bullets to be loaded one at a time.

Lawmakers also want to make some prohibitions apply to current gun owners, not just to people who buy weapons in the future.

Like New York, California also would require background checks for buying ammunition and would add to the list of prohibited weapons.

Those buying ammunition would have to pay a fee and undergo an initial background check by the state Department of Justice, similar to what is required now before buyers can purchase a weapon. Subsequent background checks would be done instantly by an ammunition seller checking the Justice Department's records.

The legislation also would ban possession of magazines holding more than 10 bullets, even by those who now own them legally. All weapons would have to be registered.

Sam Paredes, executive director of Gun Owners of California, promised that gun proponents will fight the measures in court if they become law.

"It strikes me as if these folks are playing some sort of game of one-upsmanship with New York at the expense of law-abiding citizens, and that's just unconscionable," he said about lawmakers.

Three bills have been introduced, with others to come before this month's deadline for submitting legislation.

The measures are the most stringent to date among numerous proposals introduced this year to strengthen California's firearm regulations.

Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg said he is confident Democrats can use their majorities in the Assembly and Senate to send the measures to Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown this year.

Brown has declined to comment on weapons legislation before it reaches him.

Steinberg said the measures are designed to close numerous loopholes that gun manufacturers have exploited to get around California's existing restrictions.

Those measures had been the strongest in the nation until Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed New York's new law last month.

Other proposed measures in California would ban so-called "bullet buttons" that can be used to quickly detach and reload magazines in semi-automatic rifles, and update the legal definition of shotguns to prohibit a new version that can rapidly fire shotgun shells and .45-caliber ammunition.

The state also would restrict the lending of guns to keep weapons from felons, mentally ill people and others who are prohibited from ownership.

http://news.yahoo.com/calif-seeks-ad...220030130.html
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
bimmerfan08

No discussion? :cricket:
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Well, in the name of federalism and states rights, let them try and see how well it works out.
Rhumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
DPRK strikes again.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Well, in the name of federalism and states rights, let them try and see how well it works out.
I agree with this but I do have some speculation...should be interesting to see how it plays out though.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
What a mentally hilarious state.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
nardog

My Ride: e34, totaled e46
Wonderful
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
What a mentally hilarious state.
I don't understand this logic. They say republicans are the fearful ones yet it's the democrats in this case being fearful. Go figure...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Republicans fear everything and everyone.

Democrats fear republicans.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Republicans fear everything and everyone.

Democrats fear republicans.

because all republicans wield firearms and are crazy...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
NOVAbimmer

And lair asks why republicans are afraid that rights are being infringed.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
Lair
Modded ///Member

Nobody is being forced to adhere to CA gun laws.

You're free to move to Idaho.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
NOVAbimmer

Nobody's forcing California to abide by the second amendment. If they don't like it, they can just secede.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
Lair
Modded ///Member

CA isn't planning to take yer gunz.

Try a different whine.

Quote:
Congratulations.

Last edited by Lair; 02-10-2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1360507967
Old 02-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
bimmerfan08

Quote:

Try a different whine.
Why don't you just go live there already? Seems like it is your cup of tea.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
NOVAbimmer

Quote:

Try a different whine.
Nope, they're just going to take all the magazines. They just want to swaddle you in a protective blanket of legislation.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
NOVAbimmer

And they can't take my guns, I don't live there.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
Lair
Modded ///Member

Then why do you care that CA is regulating its militia?

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #19
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Why don't you just go live there already? Seems like it is your cup of tea.
I lived there once already. I left because I wanted more freedom and a lower tax rate.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
bimmerfan08

Quote:
I lived there once already. I left because I wanted more freedom and a lower tax rate.
Boom! I was going to mention taxes but I figured I would let you mention it first. FL has some nice tax rates eh?