E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
av516

My Ride: 01 325, 04 330ZHP
ZHP steering a bit heavy?

So i just test drove a ZHP today
A little about the car:
109K miles
well maintained
new Fcabs
Shocks are less that 15k miles
new tires
overall well taken care of by the owner [1st owner was lease, 2nd was a personal one]

when i test drove the car around town it is a bit heavy (compared to my 2001 325i)

and the brake pedal travels a bit further down (again, compared to my 325i)

thanks
av516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
drbworld

My Ride: BMW E46 Coupe
U probably are just used to an overboosted steering rack since u have an 01 model.

As for the brake, it could be low brake pad, air in brake line, low brake fluid, or needs a good brake bleed.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
It's a bit mor complicated than that. If your 01' was built before March, then it has the over boosted steering. Then they played around with a different rack, and different pumps, before deciding on a new configuration. Buying steering parts for an 01 can be a challenge. There is more about this in the FAQ's on this site. http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/faqs.php
A lot of the info is very old, but if you look fairly far down the page, there is a section titled "What is up with the steering in the MY 2001 cars" or something similar to that.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
The other guys said it. The 2001 models have overboosted steering. That ZHP should have harder steering.

The brakes must need to be bled on that car. You'll probably want to do a full brake fluid flush.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
drbworld

My Ride: BMW E46 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
It's a bit mor complicated than that. If your 01' was built before March, then it has the over boosted steering. Then they played around with a different rack, and different pumps, before deciding on a new configuration. Buying steering parts for an 01 can be a challenge. There is more about this in the FAQ's on this site. http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/faqs.php
A lot of the info is very old, but if you look fairly far down the page, there is a section titled "What is up with the steering in the MY 2001 cars" or something similar to that.
For 325, it was up to sept 01. Most likely his built date was not passed sept for an 01 model.

I don't think he's interested in buying a new steering rack either. Op looks like he wants to buy a Zhp and wondering why it had a heavier steering feel.

And....it's not really confusing....

Last edited by drbworld; 02-18-2013 at 06:49 AM.
drbworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
dont mean to hijack here, but would a ZHPs steering be harder than my sport package steering? or just a different feel?
jmillsner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
jiggz

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillsner View Post
dont mean to hijack here, but would a ZHPs steering be harder than my sport package steering? or just a different feel?
Same part #, but I think it depends on the year or something. I can't remember so don't quote me - check out this thread for more information...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...+steering+rack

Last edited by jiggz; 02-18-2013 at 12:16 PM.
jiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by av516 View Post
So i just test drove a ZHP today
A little about the car:
109K miles
well maintained
new Fcabs
Shocks are less that 15k miles
new tires
overall well taken care of by the owner [1st owner was lease, 2nd was a personal one]

when i test drove the car around town it is a bit heavy (compared to my 2001 325i)
thanks
probably has more to do with the overboosted steering or depending on build date the 15.5:1 ratio rack compared to the "heavier" 13.7:1 ratio rack of the later years.

or it could be as basic as having the wider low profile wheel/tires or low tire pressure
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
the later steering is so much better