E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
Driving a $18K 10yrs old car with 100K mileage is not rich

It's always funny how perception can be totally different from reality. I mean people think I am some kind of rich guy. I bought the M3 for something that was cheaper than an entry Corolla but somehow people think I am loaded. Lols I live in a working class neighborhood and work on my own car to save money. Granted the car was well kept and looks almost brand new, but still it's a 10yr old car.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
JDez

My Ride: 2001 330i
K.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
JDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
btownbuckeye46

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
K.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #4
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
They remember the initial value and the present mechanical value.

You can get a 2006 DB9 at a extremely cheap price now. But it's mechanical value is still that of a very expensive vehicle. Cost of entry isn't always as high as the cost to maintain.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Would read again.
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
zenaissance

My Ride: 2003 Individual M3
Its funny how a supposedly intelligent observation on the lessons of depreciation suddenly becomes less intelligent. Regardless of how much the car has dropped in value and given its age, an M3 is never a Corolla. A car such as the E46 model still looks good for its age and is not really outdated if kept in decent condition. What do you expect folks in "your neighbourhood" should say? That you can't afford a brand new E92 and you are only driving a BMW when you should be driving a Toyota since that is what most folks in your neck of the woods can afford? Perhaps you should have bought the brand new entry Corolla instead. As others would say, this is a most interesting read.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
cold m3

My Ride: E46 ///M3
the difference is this WAS a 60k car and their NEW car is the same price as our 10 year old car...

Photos of My ///M3
cold m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
choxor

My Ride: JDM
kay.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
al0513

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330CI
OP: What you have is a very smart seller. He/she got rid of a 100K Mile moneypit.

You ended up with a $18K, 10 year old moneypit. Sure it looks better than a new corolla, but the new corolla would be cheaper in the long run.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
kiwami

My Ride: 04 ///M3 SMG
As long as you can work on it & keep up with the maintenance. Enjoy not just driving it but working on it too. Have the diagnostic & mechanical tools. have always $5000 or so in the bank always for the ///M3 just for any mayor problem that could come along & you don't fell comfortable doing yourself. Then you will be OK.

The depreciation of this cars is co-related to the high maintenance cost of the vehicle. So buying a corrola new at the same price you paid for your M3 taking both cars to their dealers for maintenance the corolla would be many times cheaper over the years of ownership.

If you can keep up informed with what & how to do most of the work yourself. Just enjoy your ///M3. We all know the driving experience is not corolla like

I got lucky with mine it's mayor maintenance free for the next 80k miles besides valves adjustment & potential SMG pump failure but previous owner replaced everything on it from all fluids, clutch, suspension, bushings, alternator. I mean the guy was a good freak his pops told me they had the car on a lift for a month at his shop replacing stuff. Even did the vanos for his piece of mind.

So just drive yours & enjoy it. The E46 M3 is a good car & I bet your neighbors die for a ride in it.
kiwami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
Westrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwami View Post

So just drive yours & enjoy it. The E46 M3 is a good car & I bet your neighbors die for a ride in it.
Do get a lot of compliments. I can't imagine for $18K, you get that much car.
So in that sense, in term of dollars vs. values, the M3 is way cheaper than the Corolla.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
SocratesRising

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
I think it is a valid observation. There is an episode of TopGear where Jeremy and the gang buy decade old sports cars for the same amount a new (at the time) tiny little nissan with no frills is going for. They parked them on the public streets and asked passers buy what they thought they were worth. They got all sorts of replies which were double or triple the true cost.
However, one of them did point out the maintenance was the killer here. Bottom line is - yes, looks like a million bucks and if you enjoy it awesome. To each their own. Some people look at a car as transportation - period. To others it is more than that. Some people want more and are willing to sacrifice a bit for it...
SocratesRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
Tvan

My Ride: '03.5 M3 Coupe 6MT
Non car enthusiasts tend to associate luxury automobiles as a luxury, nothing more. People that aren't into cars see them as a necessary expense, not a hobby. Therefore someone that can afford the expense of a luxury brand like BMW is typically recognized as a person who can afford a higher level of necessary expense when it comes to transportation.

Last edited by Tvan; 02-08-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Tvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
mzeed

My Ride: 05 M3 ZCP no sunroof
I think a $16 to $20K M3 is the best buy for the dollar.....I drive mine because BMW does not yet make anything I prefer over it, although a 1M was very close. At present, IMHO only a P Cayman or 911 is a better ride at even greater maintenace
Other than Valve Adjustments and OEM Diff fluid, the cost of Maintenance on my M3 is the same as 335 coupe......Often M3 oem and aftermarket parts are even cheaperor for the M3 than the 335 coupe...
mzeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
Steezy

My Ride: 2004 M3
You can buy a Quattroporte for under 35k...

Last edited by Steezy; 02-08-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Steezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
-ForceFed-

My Ride: S40 T5 / E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvan View Post
Non car enthusiasts tend to associate luxury automobiles as a luxury, nothing more.
Agreed, people thought I was balling out of control when I bought my NSX. If they only knew they can be had for mid to low 20's. People automatically associate certain values to things based on the persona that the vehicle commonly portrays. Most new cars, even a Hyundai, cost more than that car did and I daily drove that thing to enjoy every second of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzeed View Post
I think a $16 to $20K M3 is the best buy for the dollar.....I drive mine because BMW does not yet make anything I prefer over it, although a 1M was very close. At present, IMHO only a P Cayman or 911 is a better ride at even greater maintenance
CS was at the top of my list for future purchase but the wife shot the two seater idea down after I sold the Acura. The maintenance isn't bad at all, long as you can do your own work. Having to be dealer dependent on the other hand, yeah, good luck with that one. But I agree, reason I am looking for an E46/M is for best bang for your buck factor.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #18
NFSx328ci

My Ride: TiAg E46
Truth. People that don't know cars at all are amazed when I correct them on the age of my car. A lot of people ask me if its like a 2010 or something. I tell them it's a 2000, they are shocked as ****ed. I just tell them I take really good care of my car. Neighbors also think I'm loaded because I have a bunch euros at my house all of the time. I tell them its because of my car club. Lol. It's funny, I enjoy it though. Makes me feel good about me maintaining my E46 this whole time.

My babies; Supercharged 328ci, 99 GSX boosted to 625awhp, 2011 Grand Cherokee. Newest addition: 2009 Alpine White 135i
NFSx328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #19
Westrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSx328ci View Post
Truth. People that don't know cars at all are amazed when I correct them on the age of my car. A lot of people ask me if its like a 2010 or something. I tell them it's a 2000, they are shocked as ****ed. I just tell them I take really good care of my car. Neighbors also think I'm loaded because I have a bunch euros at my house all of the time. I tell them its because of my car club. Lol. It's funny, I enjoy it though. Makes me feel good about me maintaining my E46 this whole time.
My boss who is not a car guy asked me if I bought a new car lols.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #20
Ecko

My Ride: 2003 M3
Ecko is offline   Reply With Quote