E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #21
wildpig

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Convert
i told myself never ever to get a new car.... all my 3 used cars combined are cheaper than 1 new entry luxury car. Sure they have some problem once in a while but even after factoring some repair cost, still cheaper than buying the comparable new car. And they are a lot more satisfying to drive than a brand new corolla....
Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #22
djantlive

My Ride: E46 M3
If you paid a high mileage m3 for 18k, it better be in immaculate shape. I got one last year for much less and it had 98k mi
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #23
46smg

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrace View Post
Do get a lot of compliments. I can't imagine for $18K, you get that much car.
So in that sense, in term of dollars vs. values, the M3 is way cheaper than the Corolla.
Mine is also now 10 years old. People think it's newer and I love it when I get lots of stares and compliments . I'm the second owner when I bought it in 06. And, I also have a 2010 corolla (for work)...lol. But seriously, enjoy it while you have it, keep up the (expensive) maintenance and have fun.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #24
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
I can't imagine buying a non-fun car new. I bought my a mustang new in 08. I loved having a new car. Kept it in pristine condition and sold it for slightly less than I paid for it after 3 years when I bought my M3. When I did, people at work were shocked that I "stepped into a whole new class of car", even though the sticker price on the mustang was 10k more than I paid for my M.

Perception IS reality. Value is placed on objects by people's perception of worth.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #25
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Cool beans
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #26
M3 FOR LIFE

My Ride: BMW M3 E46
It's not a rich persons car but after maintenance and buying aftermarket parts, this car will leave you broke lol
M3 FOR LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #27
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 FOR LIFE View Post
It's not a rich persons car but after maintenance and buying aftermarket parts, this car will leave you broke lol
To be fair for the M3, if you take the Corolla to the track, after one session, the repair bill won't be pretty. I am sure the brake pads, rotor, and a few more things on the Corolla will need replace. The engine well I don't know if it's built for that kind of abuse.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #28
wildpig

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrace View Post
To be fair for the M3, if you take the Corolla to the track, after one session, the repair bill won't be pretty. I am sure the brake pads, rotor, and a few more things on the Corolla will need replace. The engine well I don't know if it's built for that kind of abuse.
and after all that trouble you would still lose the race by a mile to another M3
Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #29
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Lol
Old 02-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #30
NFSx328ci

My Ride: TiAg E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpig View Post
and after all that trouble you would still lose the race by a mile to another M3
^I don't think anyone is taking the side of a corolla. I would buy any e46 over any corolla any day, (as long as it looks good) hands down. Fact of the matter is, everyone believes because it has the BMW emblem is must be some sorta high end euro. And honestly, if your car is maintained and looking good, it will keep that perception. People still believe because I live in a house(rent) that I am loaded because I own a nice and clean boosted e46. Little do they know that my car is actually worth like 6 maybe 7 grand. They think $$$$

My babies; Supercharged 328ci, 99 GSX boosted to 625awhp, 2011 Grand Cherokee. Newest addition: 2009 Alpine White 135i
NFSx328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #31
Steezy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSx328ci View Post
^I don't think anyone is taking the side of a corolla. I would buy any e46 over any corolla any day, (as long as it looks good) hands down. Fact of the matter is, everyone believes because it has the BMW emblem is must be some sorta high end euro. And honestly, if your car is maintained and looking good, it will keep that perception. People still believe because I live in a house(rent) that I am loaded because I own a nice and clean boosted e46. Little do they know that my car is actually worth like 6 maybe 7 grand. They think $$$$
It's ridiculous on how much people stereotype the emblem. Not to mention the "M3" on the back.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #32
Westrace

My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSx328ci View Post
I hope that after seeing me crawling underneath my car almost every other weekends in my garage, hopefully their opinions will change. Not to mention busting my back having to paint my whole house myself. But it's cool having a place to talk about it.

Last edited by Westrace; 02-10-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #33
Ecko

Who cares what people think of you? Whether you're rich or poor, whether you work on your own car or pay somebody else who has the skills to do it?
Do you think that people will think less of you because you drive a BMW? Are you really that self-conscious?

I don't understand what your objective in creating this thread was.
Ecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
So let me get this straight, OP, you DON'T like it when people appreciate your car and think highly of it? What's wrong with that?? I LOVE getting compliments for my car. It
makes me feel good about my car and proud of myself for all of the work I exert every weekend trying to keep it looking clean. Side note; anyone who would rather have a Corolla than an E46 is insane. They don't compare.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #35
Ecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000beamer View Post
So let me get this straight, OP, you DON'T like it when people appreciate your car and think highly of it? What's wrong with that?? I LOVE getting compliments for my car. It
makes me feel good about my car and proud of myself for all of the work I exert every weekend trying to keep it looking clean. Side note; anyone who would rather have a Corolla than an E46 is insane. They don't compare.
OP is loopy
Ecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #36
ImMolton

My Ride: 05 AW E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to ImMolton
I agree with you on this.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #37
wbean

My Ride: 04 Estoril blue M3
i agree what your statement.

i sold my 2009 GTI to purchase my 04 M3 and most of my customers seem to think i hit gold jackpot when my GTI cost about $15 grand more than my M3 3 years ago haha ...

it's the stereotype and that's the end of it.
wbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #38
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
lol.. have u seen the price of maintenance.

cost of a car is not a problem... its the maintenance.

ever buy a high milleage 996 911...

if you plan on keeping it for couple of years. you might pay the car price again through maintenance and insurance...

Last edited by omhl; 02-13-2013 at 07:45 PM.
omhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #39
Firstboost

My Ride: 2006 Tiag ZCP
Maybe I'm confused, but why is everyone bashing OP?

I don't recall him saying he wanted a Corolla over an M3 for one.

Secondly, I don't think he said he cared about what people thought of him one way or the other, just that their perception of an older car like the E46 was off due to the fact that it's a BMW.

Thirdly, why do all these sub 10 post count nubs have their panties in a twist over this thread? Got a problem, have a nice warm glass of GTFO.
Firstboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #40
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Why in the **** are we still talking about a corolla is what I want to know