E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
generic

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
Auto-X for my 330ci??

so heres the story i have a 2002 330ci 158k miles clean body but steptronic trans... almost complete with a cooling system refresh all i have left is lower hose and thermo. going to start suspension refresh soon but wondering if i should upgrade or go oem. root of my problem being how will my step trans handle with auto-x dont have money to swap to manual but if the step can handle the beating i will go for ugraded suspension rather than oem. also any feedback on good suspension setups? currently have the oem sport suspension.
generic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Bayerische E46

My Ride: -
Don't bother with any trickfoolery. Your car is fine as it is.

Change/Top off your fluids and make sure you have no leaks.
Check your tire pressures.
Drive.
Bayerische E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
generic

what about the step trans should i expect any issues?? also i need to replaced struts the rod seals are leaking air i can hear it when i push donw on the fenders mostly its the driver side pass is better but not good
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Bayerische E46

If your shocks are blown you should replace them anyways - that has nothing to do with auto-crossing or tracking - it has everything to do with road-safe equipment. So, yes, replace those. Just get something such as a set of Bilstein HD struts and shocks. You can re-use your springs or buy lowering springs. It's up to you (i.e. how much money you're willing to spend). Check your bushings and balljoints because you might have to replace those too (and you seriously might have to if they've never been done before - especially considering you've got two blown struts).

The transmission will be fine; just make sure there's enough fluid in there. The suspension doesn't affect it.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is to make sure you've got at least near 50% of your brake pads left. If you have less than 1/3 life left in them, you should replace them before your auto-cross event. Otherwise, that's it.

Auto-crosses and even track days are NOT rocket science. And the last thing you want to do is to fool yourself into believing they are.

Last edited by Bayerische E46; 02-08-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
generic

Good advice I have recently done the lower control arms+ bushings + lower ball joints posssibly need to get some attention to the rear such as RTABs for subframe reinforcement later on. Good to know the step can handle the track though

Sent from my ADR8995 using Bimmer App
Old 02-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I autocrossed for two seasons with my steptronic 330. No issues. Just make sure to keep that DSC off
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
generic

sometimes i play around with the step with the DSC off but abs starts to kick in and doesnt let the rear loosen up at all not looking to drift but a lil play would be nice any suggestions?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Bayerische E46

Perhaps you are not turning the DSC all the way off? If you press the button once, the DSC goes into intermediate mode (which means that the DME won't cut fuel to the engine, but that traction control will still work by applying individual wheel braking). If you press the button once and then press and HOLD it down, you should hear a chime and the DSC light on your instrument cluster will flash and the "Brake" light on your instrument cluster will come on. This means that you have turned off all the driver aids.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische E46 View Post
Perhaps you are not turning the DSC all the way off? If you press the button once, the DSC goes into intermediate mode (which means that the DME won't cut fuel to the engine, but that traction control will still work by applying individual wheel braking). If you press the button once and then press and HOLD it down, you should hear a chime and the DSC light on your instrument cluster will flash and the "Brake" light on your instrument cluster will come on. This means that you have turned off all the driver aids.
This is more or less correct.

1) There is no chime. At least not on my 2002.

2) DME doesn't totally eliminate wheel-slip intervention, it raises the threshold. It will still intervene if things get too crazy (as far as traction control to the rear wheels) You still retain full "stability control" during "stage 1" (one press) DSC.

3) All drivers aids are not disabled. You still have ABS, CBC, brake force assist (forgot BMW's acronym but basically increased effort at the brake master cylinder when a sudden press of the brake pedal is detected) but yes stability control is disabled and traction control is fully defeated.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Bayerische E46

Perhaps I was a bit hasty with the use of "driver aids." What I meant was the DSC & TC system. Obviously, ABS won't be disabled. Unless, of course, you remove a fuse or unplug the wheel speed sensors (or the two ABS solenoids on the booster).
Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
generic

Auto-x on hold had an accident and just light damage from getting rear ended but both cars behind me got totaled and engulfed in flames idk how I got lucky but waiting to fix the car up also had hater break off driver side mirror and could use new tires so maybe in a couple months I'll get on the track
Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
BRracing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Everything BMW
Step is completely fine for Auto-X or even the track if you really wanted to. An sportier suspension is always helpful whenever you are doing some spirited driving. PM me for a good price on a suspension kit!
BRracing is offline   Reply With Quote