E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #21
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
So because he compared a flat tax system to tithe, eventhough many support the flat tax system automatically makes the idea stupid because he compared it to something religious? Hate to break it to you champ, most of our laws stem from that 2000 year old book.
I like the modern version of "kill your rebellious child".

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
So because he compared a flat tax system to tithe, eventhough many support the flat tax system automatically makes the idea stupid because he compared it to something religious? Hate to break it to you champ, most of our laws stem from that 2000 year old book.
Doesn't make them right, champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
People get their individual ideals from different inspirations in life. I like his views on personal responsibility and being held accountable.
Well getting inspiration from the bronze age about how to run a country of 300million+ I think is a bit out of touch. The structure of society is vastly different from today and 2000 years ago. I imagine the tax systems have differed as well.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #23
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Why? If he didn't mention god and religion would you make the same statement? Must everyone who becomes a politician come from the corrupt phony backgrounds that plague most of this country's politicians?
Yes. No.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
just saw this.... great speech!
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #25
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Tithing is from the OT, which is generally older than 2,000 yrs. And ironically is largely sublimated by US Protestants to the NT.

AFAIK, tithing isn't a tenet of the NT, but it references giving what one can afford.

I've met and spoken with Dr Carson because I coordinated an event for him. I found him to be charming, smart as hell and very religious. He's a man of tremendous scientific knowledge and skill, yet he dismisses evolution as a proven scientific theory. To say he's complex is an understatement.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #26
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
I calculate that everyone in the USA woud have to be taxed at 42 percent to pay the current budget.

Spending problem? And before you ask for links, I calculated it using the White House budget for gross US income and spending. You can do your own calcs,
Old 02-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #27
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
I calculate that everyone in the USA woud have to be taxed at 42 percent to pay the current budget.

Spending problem? And before you ask for links, I calculated it using the White House budget for gross US income and spending. You can do your own calcs,
"Today I’m pledging to cut the deficit ...in half by the end of my first term in office. This will not be easy. .. but I refuse to leave our children with a debt that they cannot repay — and that means taking responsibility right now, in this administration, for getting our spending under control.” --- Barack Obama
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #28
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
"Today I’m pledging to cut the deficit ...in half by the end of my first term in office. This will not be easy. .. but I refuse to leave our children with a debt that they cannot repay — and that means taking responsibility right now, in this administration, for getting our spending under control.” --- Barack Obama
Good thing we've got such a leader who can set grand goals and accomplish them.. And to think be was able to accomplish the debt reduction while also increasing food stamps to never before seen levels..

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #29
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Conservatives are the only true Christians? And LOL at the food stamp argument. Should I also mention that Cooperations are raking in record profits too?

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

Last edited by phrozen06; 02-23-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361663441
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #30
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Good thing we've got such a leader who can set grand goals and accomplish them.. And to think be was able to accomplish the debt reduction while also increasing food stamps to never before seen levels..
While it's undeniable that food stamp usage is at an all time high, where was the bitching in 2003, 2004, 2005, etc., etc. when those years represented historical highs for their place in time? The fact of the matter is that the costs of programs like food stamps have been on a steady increase for a very long time. Again, you playing a good party cheerleader and blaming on the Democrat POTUS seems a bit short sighted.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #31
phrozen06
NA V8

I agree with Dr. Carson speaking against Loopholes and Special interests. So glad he mentioned the Cayman Islands. But we're in a plutocracy now.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

Last edited by phrozen06; 02-23-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1361666127
Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #32
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
While it's undeniable that food stamp usage is at an all time high, where was the bitching in 2003, 2004, 2005, etc., etc. when those years represented historical highs for their place in time? The fact of the matter is that the costs of programs like food stamps have been on a steady increase for a very long time. Again, you playing a good party cheerleader and blaming on the Democrat POTUS seems a bit short sighted.
I just want to let you know...that I don't particualarly blame any one thing on anybody but...I do hold people accountable to their words. If you don't mean it and it's not feasible, don't say it.
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #33
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
I just want to let you know...that I don't particualarly blame any one thing on anybody but...I do hold people accountable to their words. If you don't mean it and it's not feasible, don't say it.
I totally agree. When he made that initial comment I laughed openly at the television. That's one of those ridiculous campaign stump speech promises that both sides are guilty of and anyone with a brain should be able to see through. It's unfortunate that both sides are guilty of it, know that it works, and exploit the muppets who lap it up like cream to a kitten.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #34
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I totally agree. When he made that initial comment I laughed openly at the television. That's one of those ridiculous campaign stump speech promises that both sides are guilty of and anyone with a brain should be able to see through. It's unfortunate that both sides are guilty of it, know that it works, and exploit the muppets who lap it up like cream to a kitten.
Precisely.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #35
phrozen06
NA V8

Ben Carson will be Herman Cain if he starts winning straw polls and starts leading too long during primaries. (IF he decides to run)

Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #36
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
Ben Carson will be Herman Cain if he starts winning straw polls and starts leading too long during primaries. (IF he decides to run)
You mean taken out of the race by false infidelity claims?

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #37
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
See this is what I don't get about the Republican base. On the one hand they're all about reinventing the image of the party and what not. On the other, they put up this loon as the party poster child.

I've heard him talk, and he's out there in the deep end. Nutjob..

Part of me actually wants to see him run in 2016 so that makes things easier for the Dems..

And as far as politics and religion go, there's no correlation that conservatives are good Christians and non-conservatives are not (as the Republican propaganda would have everyone believe). It's good to have faith, but that is a personal topic and needs to be kept personal and not mixed into a cocktail with politics and public policy.

Sure, personally I like it that he's a man of faith but for me it stops there. That has no bearing on his ability as a leader or politician, and it shouldn't shape public policy. The two are entirely different subjects and better kept that way.

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #38
phrozen06
NA V8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
You mean taken out of the race by false infidelity claims?
Herman's own party did it to him.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #39
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Herman's own party did it to him.
Gloria Allred is a democrat operative.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #40
phrozen06
NA V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Gloria Allred is a democrat operative.
Why was fox news the first to interview her?