E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 AM   #41
NeverHome

My Ride: S54 E46
Replied in Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverHome View Post

User configurable CAN integration - Syvecs, Pectel and Motec are only able to do this at present

To clarify, I'm talking about bi-directional CAN communication where the user can configure the CAN input and output without templates from the manufacturer. Also, I'm talking about being able to communicate with a mix of products not made by the ECU manufacturer. All of the ECU products currently on the market have limitations in both configuration, and total channel count available. Syvecs for example has a great setup menu for CAN outputs, but addresses are not configurable by the user, and is limited to 60 channels. Pectel is a similar story, and Motec has great output configuration but input configuration is limited on everything except for the ACL product line. (Huge $$) Syvecs is promising new firmware that expands on CAN integration, while the Motec M1 ECU series is promising unrivalled flexibility. What hasn't been mentioned is the AEM Infinity which has a platform that will allow a qualified user to write whatever code they want. Pretty powerful stuff....

I have spoke with Pat @ Syvecs who has said the same as yourself that user configurable Can is coming soon to go with there new range of Can Products. New Dash, I/O Expanders and SoftTouch Switch Panel.

User configurable Color OLED displays - Pectel and Syvecs in a few monthes will have this available. Gems do have something available at present

The Pectel display is kind of vaporware....it will work on the 2013 Porsche GT3 Cup car...but doesn't have a GUI available the way that Bosch does with their DDU-7, or the GEMS CD25 does for example. I've been talking to Ryan at Syvecs about new products for 2013, and a display never came up. That's not to say there isn't anything coming, just that I wasn't informed of it.

Im told its about 2-3 monthes away although Syvecs are soon releasing in a few weeks a Bluetooth Module which i saw working at Autosport show which will allow the ECU to Communicate with Apple products and soon Android. Some are talking of Using an Ipad Mini as a Dash as it will be able to Log and have GPS on it etc as well as good in sunlight.

The colour display that I'm most interested in is from Motec. They have just shown the full size model at the Autosport show in the UK, with availability being promised later in the spring. The GUI to customize it though is a ways off...with R&D saying it may be available by the summer.

I saw this too but i have been waiting for the M1 Series for 3 years since it was released at Autospot. I have given up on Motec now

User configurable maths channels - Syvecs, Pectel and Motec only offer this. Unsure on AEM

Motec offers on-board maths channels on their existing ECU line up, but the M1 series I expect to take this to a whole new level. AEM's Infinity already has a very comprehensive setup menu available, but I've yet to get a copy of the configuration software that I can use it with. Again, March release is quoted.

Pectel and Syvecs don't have on-board maths channels available....in fact Pectel doesn't have any user configurable logic functions at all...unless you are supported directly by a motorsport engineer.

You can define user configurable Math channels in the logging program Sview no problem as i use to monitor back pressure on each bank. But you cant apply any logic to that. I have requested Scal to be able to do this and hope it comes with new Can stuff.
User configurable I/Os (User selects function, control strategy, and safety features) - Syvecs, Pectel and Motec only offer this. Unsure on AEM

Everyone including Motec is currently offering just templates for I/O. Some are more flexible offering the ability to name input and output channels, where others have pre-named channels with fixed control logic.

What I'm talking about is complete user freedom. As an example, imagine having a 6 wheel drive vehicle where you wanted traction control for driven wheels, and all 6 wheels were driven independently. Well with the new software coming from Motec for the M1 Series, and AEM for the Infinity, a user could write that control logic. The way it is right now from everyone else is that the control strategies are written by the software engineers, with a little bit of user configurability for variables. I'm talking about being able to write the code for a function, using an easily understandable GUI.

On-board data logging with up to 1000hz resolution. (Selectable by channel) Syvecs and Pectel can only do this. Unsure on AEM

Yes for Pectel and Syvecs...but there is an 8,000 sample per second limit on throughput for the ECU. Motec's ACL products can log at up to 5,000 Hz...but that's a whole other level of expensive. And really...what the heck do you need that kind of resolution for? Usually the high end stuff is being oversampled to reduce noise, then down-converted (averaged) to get a clean data point.

The issue I have with most ECU data logging offered is that it's either a fixed rate for all channels, or selectable for all channels as a batch. Admittedly the products I've mentioned above have the ability to chose the channels you want to log, and at what sample rate. But...further to that I would like to see filtering available, as well as oversampling. If you can write the input logic yourself...you'd be able to create the data channel you needed right on the ECU. (As opposed to creating the data channel after a session in a professional data analysis program)

High current power management (Current control, logging, and fault management) - Motec, Syvecs and Pectel offer this.

And in general, more processing power inside the ECU.

There is a reason why Motec limits the number of 3D control strategies on Aux outputs in their current line of ECUs and dashes.... - Indeed! So do other manufactures also
Nev

Last edited by NeverHome; 02-14-2013 at 02:13 AM.
NeverHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #42
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Nev,

I hear you on the seemingly endless development of the M1 platform, but I have been told by someone involved in development that there is a planned release this spring, and that many options are in place. On a similar note, I've also been told that the V3 ecu software is further off than M1....and the V3 brochure has been openly distributed at all the trade shows this past fall.

Regarding the Syvecs/Ipad dash: I saw that comment on some forums, and I find it exciting for all ECU manufacturers. Currently you have to spend some serious $$ for a simple LCD or backlit LCD mono-color dash. It would really change the market if something this simple could be integrated with ECUs.

Great news on the switch panel. Currently we've got the Racegrade products, and the OBR products, and that's it. The OBR works with OBR products, and the Racegrade seems to be configured with Motec PDMs. (Although the CAN config is very flexible, and could be used with other PDU products) It would be nice to see a dedicated LifeRacing/Syvecs option.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #43
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Nev,

Regarding the Syvecs/Ipad dash: I saw that comment on some forums, and I find it exciting for all ECU manufacturers. Currently you have to spend some serious $$ for a simple LCD or backlit LCD mono-color dash. It would really change the market if something this simple could be integrated with ECUs.
This is awesome! I don't want anymore aftermarket gauges in the car and iPad mini would be great

-Trip
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote