E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
New members check-in, introduce yourselves, and post a picture of your BMW here!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
zonk59

My Ride: 2006 330ci
New member maybe regreting my purchase

Just picked up my first ever BMW a couple of weeks ago. 330ci convert e46. After looking through some of treads i'm wondering if i made a mistake. It seems as though these cars are nothing but trouble regarding maintenence. I'm afraid that every time i take it out something is going to fail on the car. It has 80k miles on it and i have very little mantenence history.....It seems that some of you suggest spending thousands of dollars on replacement parts because they are due to fail at any time....I have no mechanical experience to work on my car so replacing parts will cost 3 times as much because i'll have to pay some mechaic to install them.....I have bought many cars in my life and even though i get rid of them before 80k miles i seldom had issues with them....I just don't understand why poeple who own BMW's put up with the apparent mechanical issues the car has and still remain loyal to the brand...
zonk59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
jerseyrider
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 330Ci-06 K1200s
Remember, all you're gonna read on any forum is about any problems that pop up. It's very rare you'll read anything about how great and reliable their car is. BMW's are high-end expensive cars. Your car probably cost in the neghborhood of $40K new.

Read up on maintenance in this forum and keep your car running well. They may be a bit high maintenance but they're not called "The Ultimate Driving Machine" for nothing.
jerseyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
brewer90

My Ride: 06 330Ci ZHP
Buy some tools, use the DIYs and get to know your car. Drive it for a while and then you'll understand. Or if not, sell it and buy something you feel is more reliable. Just stay away from the associated forums because then you'll get worried all over again.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Tools...$100 in sears will get you a long way. LED flashlight of 100 lumens. Reading fanatics until you're nauseous or throw up.

And then...remember this...you learn how to put parts on by taking them off. Once you remember that and lefty loosey (except for only a few nuts/bolts) and righty tighty....you'll be amazed at how much money you can save without being a mechanic. The big part that mechanics bring to the table is their ability to diagnose. Once you know what you're doing, it's like playing with an erector set/legos.

The place is open almost 24/7 here...you'll get a lot of help as long as you behave reasonably normally!

I know what it seems from the reading you've done. Read more...you'll be fine. Read a lot more...you'll be better than fine.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
Why did you buy the car? Why didn't you research before you bought it? If you bought the car because its a BMW and you thought it'd be very low maintenance, yes you made a mistake.

My car has never left me stranded. I admit when I first bought my e46, I neglected it. I had no idea of maintenance required. because of that, I had to pay thousands the past few years to get everything under control and have it running 100%. Even though I've had oil leaks, vacuum leaks, cracked expansion tank, worn control arms, the thing still ran like nothing at all was wrong with it. I love this car.

Very reliable IMO.

Last edited by HBizzo88; 02-16-2013 at 12:05 PM.
HBizzo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Broach><330

My Ride: 330CI -E30 325 (S52)
Listen man, you take of your car, it will take care of you. 90% of the people on here with broke ass cars treat them ****, don't do preventative maintenance or maintenance at all they spend all their money on stupid **** to get .05 HP :/ so no you didn't make a mistake yet that is, so trust me on this, I know the senior members here will back me on this. So look into spending money on maintenance and you'll be fine man. These cars are absolutely amazing if you treat them right Welcome Btw! GL good sir.

High-line catback
Kosei K1's
Headers
3.15 Differential
Koni FSD, eibach sports
AA software
205k (9/16/13)

E30 S52B32 100,xxx
5spd ZF, JB LW fly, Megan Coils, OBD1 conv. Mishimoto with low temp stat, TRM 15x8, Black vinyl sport seats, MOMO mod 08, 2:93 LSD, Custom single 2.5" exhaust, SS headers, M3 rack, basically new everything on driveline.
Broach><330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
The way you treat your car is the way it will treat your checkbook in return. I know that you don't know much about your vehicles past, but I'm sure that if you properly take care of it, you'll be fine.
Since we purchased my 2000 323i sedan brand new, it hasn't had a single break down (knock on wood). It is regularly maintained at a BMW shop, only given Premium Unleaded gasoline, washed/waxed regularly and feels the same today as it did the day it was purchased. With 133,607 miles on the odometer, it's just getting started! The E46 was arguably the finest model that BMW ever created. It's not insanely powerful, but will still go as fast as one might ever need. It's nimble, and this chassis is incredibly fun to maneuver through turns. Take your car on a spirited drive through a twisty road and you'll know exactly why we all adore this car so much.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #8
rg1bmw

My Ride: 2002 Infiniti Q45
Welcome

2002 BMW 530i

Black Leather/5 Speed/Sport Package
rg1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote