E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
gcvpi09

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325XI T
God Bless X drive

Just dropping a quick line to say thank you to BMW for building vehicles with X-drive. I live in New Haven, we got 40 inches last weekend. While I of course had to do some digging, a Hum-V isn't driving through 40 inches, my xi has performed beautifully this weekend. The roads are an absolute mess of packed snow and deep drifts from where everyone else has been spinning. I just cruise right through. Here's to vehicles that do what they were built to do, and that do it very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	490262   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	490263   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	490264   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	490265  

'01 E46 xiT

Last edited by gcvpi09; 02-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.
gcvpi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
You don't have x-drive and the original owner already said thanks with a $40k check.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
ixtoxi

My Ride: 02 330xi, 88 325iX
But, your car does not have X-drive.
ixtoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
who said x-drive?

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Did you guys hear? OP has a rare BMW Individual E46 with X-Drive. It also came with VTEC and a rotary engine.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
chilone

My Ride: 04 330xi, 97 Miata
So anyway, my 2004 E46 double secret, zirconium encrusted, self aligning crandameeter shaft driven, xyz drive has been awesome in the snow we've recently experienced also. I too tip my hat to BMW and feel that the $$ I gave to the previous owner was very well spent.
chilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
gcvpi09

Ok, Ok, rip me a new one. X-drive is the wrong term, I realize that. I won't edit my original post to correct my error, god forbid I take fodder away from the army of haters. With regard to saying thank you for something that I paid for, I can see the points there as well. Let's just say I was thankful all four wheels were being driven this morning on my way to work, regardless of what the system that was driving them is called.

Foot securely in mouth,

Gcvpi09

'01 E46 xiT
Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
SamDoe1

^

At least you can take the hate like a champ. Welcome to E46F, you'll like it here...unlike some of the 16 year old punka-sses who think they own the place and know everything there is to know about cars.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
chilone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvpi09 View Post
Ok, Ok, rip me a new one. X-drive is the wrong term, I realize that. I won't edit my original post to correct my error, god forbid I take fodder away from the army of haters. With regard to saying thank you for something that I paid for, I can see the points there as well. Let's just say I was thankful all four wheels were being driven this morning on my way to work, regardless of what the system that was driving them is called.

Foot securely in mouth,

Gcvpi09
Just in case you didn't get my sarcasm, I'm totally with you! Whatever you called it, we all knew what you were talking about and I agree. Kubica seems to be here for the sole purpose of trolling.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
xi, x-drive, different toilet same sh!t. Don't worry about it xiT.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilone View Post
Just in case you didn't get my sarcasm, I'm totally with you! Whatever you called it, we all knew what you were talking about and I agree. Kubica seems to be here for the sole purpose of trolling.
Kubica knows his stuff, he's not trolling. At least OP can take the sh!t we give. He is now free to dish it right back at the next guy.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
chilone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Kubica knows his stuff, he's not trolling.
I respectfully disagree.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
Kubica

Quote:
I respectfully disagree.
Lol. FYI-This guy is a pepboys parts counter half-wit.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
chilone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Lol. FYI-This guy is a pepboys parts counter half-wit.
Just goes to prove my point that this asshat doesn't have a clue what he's talking about...
Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
gcvpi09

Yeah, I cut my teeth as a teenager on the Jeep forums, so I learned to take a good text flogging with stride. Regarding the difference in the two systems though, there's actually a decent discussion to be had there. Pretty common knowledge that "X-drive" as it is known today was introduced for the '03 model year and that the earlier systems were a different design. So not only does my '01 not bear the appropriate badges for the X-drive system, it also has considerably different mechanics. The lite research that I've done suggests that the earlier system that was on the 01-02 had a bit less synchronization between the front and rear differentials (wheel hop anyone?) I'm sure there are some of you out there who have experience with both AWD systems, is one any better than the other when it comes to actual snow traction? I'm asking whether the official X-Drive system is really any better at getting you through the drifts than the xi system is. Not because I'm looking to upgrade (you'll pry this hexagonal key fob from my cold, dead, driving glove clad fingers), just curious if there was really a substantial improvement in the re-engineering that went on to create the current manifestation of BMW AWD propulsion.

If you don't get slapped around on the forums, you make mistakes in the garage. I'm all for the correction of mistakes whenever it is appropriate.

Gcvpi09

'01 E46 xiT
Old 02-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #16
Kubica

Electronically controlled clutch actuated transfer case. Try google next time. You don't have to type as much and the answer comes up immediately.

Quote:
Just goes to prove my point that this asshat doesn't have a clue what he's talking about...
What do you think is higher- this guy's salary in thousands or IQ?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
chilone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Electronically controlled clutch actuated transfer case. Try google next time. You don't have to type as much and the answer comes up immediately.

What do you think is higher- this guy's salary in thousands or IQ?
Dude, you're a joke. Go play on the freeway.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Just dropping a quick line to say thank you to BMW for building vehicles with X-drive. I live in New Haven, we got 40 inches last weekend. While I of course had to do some digging, a Hum-V isn't driving through 40 inches, my xi has performed beautifully this weekend. The roads are an absolute mess of packed snow and deep drifts from where everyone else has been spinning. I just cruise right through. Here's to vehicles that do what they were built to do, and that do it very well.
My xiT did very well I was facing hills and packed ice with pot holes in LongIsland for miles and no issues. Have Conti DWS Extremes with about 30 k on them and they were awesome.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
gcvpi09

EDWAGON, thanks for letting me know what tires you were on. I am woefully in need of new tires, mine are terrible and the Conti DWS are definitely in contention. The poor condition of my tires is all the more reason that I was impressed with the xi system.

'01 E46 xiT
Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
SamDoe1

Quote:
just curious if there was really a substantial improvement in the re-engineering that went on to create the current manifestation of BMW AWD propulsion.
As far as I know, there isn't a difference between the early and late Xi models. There was a PN change in the transfer case, but that did not affect anything in the overall drivetrain.

Technically X-Drive as it is known today didn't exist before the E90 platform for the 3 series and the E60 platform for the 5 series although the X3 and X5 both had it. The E46 platform had Xi and the E30 platform had the iX, both having very very different AWD systems.

Here's a basic rundown:
Xi (E46): Planetary geared transfer case, no limited slip diffs, no ability to actively transfer torque from side to side or front to back, uses the stability control to transfer power.
iX (E30): Viscous coupled transfer case engaged full 4WD as slippage increased, don't remember if it had LSD or not, had the ability to actively transfer torque to the front wheels, no stability control.
X-Drive (E90+): Clutch driven transfer case, no LSD, can actively transfer power front to back, stability control transfers power side to side.

So for your question of if there's an improvement...depends. The X-Drive system you can go buy right now is an improvement from a technology standpoint but not from a reliability standpoint. The clutch driven system wears out over time and is not as bulletproof as the transfer cases of old. It is however good at putting the power where it's needed (just like quattro, etc) but it is unpredictable in the how, when, and where that power goes. The planetary gear set is very strong and very reliable. It is also very predictable in it's operation and how, when, and where the power will go at any given time. It's truely a performance AWD system that's lacking in the thick stuff (compared to quattro, etc). The iX system is simply stunning and pairing it with the DSC in the E46+ models would have been unstoppable. It is unfortunately very expensive to get such a system these days and is why the E46 doesn't come with one. It's a shame, I would have tossed in another $1k for a viscous coupled transfer case.

Quote:
EDWAGON, thanks for letting me know what tires you were on. I am woefully in need of new tires, mine are terrible and the Conti DWS are definitely in contention. The poor condition of my tires is all the more reason that I was impressed with the xi system.
I run Conti DWS tires in the summer and Michelin X-Ice2 snow tires in the winter. The car is an absolute beast in the snow with the proper tires and the DWS tires in the summer are great for normal street driving.

Before people jump on me about having all season tires in the summer, I did it on purpose. Here in the great state of MN with our wonderful weather, it can very possibly be 60-70 during the day and 40 at night. Not to mention in the spring and fall where it is 50ish in the day and 20 at night with a chance of snow. Dedicated summer tires would be horrible in these conditions and borderline unsafe, hence why I don't run them. Better safe than sorry and the DWS tires work great for my purposes. If I were to track my car, I'd have different wheels and tires anyway. If I lived in SoCal or Arizona or something, I'd get dedicated summers without a second thought.