E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
New members check-in, introduce yourselves, and post a picture of your BMW here!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Smonkbmw

My Ride: 01 330i, 05 duc 999
New touring owner.....

Although definitely not my first rodeo with BMW's this is my first and newest that i've owned!! My last was somewhat of a unicorn, a white on black e36 m3 coupe lux pack automatic. While some say the auto is horrible, i disagree. Commuting 120 miles a day is much easier and honestly the car went fast enough when i needed it to. Anyways, the touring bug bit and I started my search. A e34 was to old, and ive already owned 3 of them (2 95 525s and a 89 535). a e39 is just to big and i dont really like the styling that much. E90 chassis cars are to much money still. So research on the e46 commenced.

I started a few weeks ago unknown to me how rare these cars are. Either total turds or overpriced low mileage seldom driven garage queens. I had to find something in the middle, and it needed to be specced out proper. My ideal was a white on black 5spd non 323 sport pack with heated seats. Everything i found had tan or dove interior with comfort seats. This was becoming harder than i thought it was going to be.

Then i found this:

Not the ideal color, no heated seats but *eye rub* maintenance by Dinan?!?! Email was sent promptly. A reply showed the next day. And long story short i flew down sunday morning to the 'bay area and was back in portland that night (not a record but 9 hours was pretty good!).

Initial impressions. I filled the tank in mt. view Ca, I was down to a quarter tank in Weed Ca. Topped it off again and made it all the way back to Vancouver (WA) and the reserve light came on, stellar mpg's!!! Everthing is pretty tight but i see some room for improvement.

The first pic taken:

Goal. I do a LOT of "while im in there" maintenance. But i do have records for a lot of the common stuff being done within the last 30K i.e. ps lines, VC gasket etc.

But as far as upgrades go front CA's, upper mounts and sway links, rear upper mounts (Rogue for sure) and diff fluid is a given. Probably upgrade to 330 calipers and rotors? steel lines, brake fluid flush to ATE gold. Hawk pads.

Ive been a brand name snob for suspension forever, but im starting to think economic wise i might "settle" for some of the lesser known names this time. Specifically in the coilover department. Ive read the reviews on the Street Edge products and they sound like a good product for the money. Generally Id be looking at H&R but $1200...i know you get what you pay for but eeessh. Im curious how this car would react with bigger sway's? Is there a bigger oem bar that i can bolt up?

Probably refinish the wheels and maybe go black on them. Might look into the Dynavin radio with the factory HK system. Top if off with some tint and call it good.

Something along the lines of this (anyone know what lip that is?) :

anyways. ive been active on and off on bimmerforums and r3vlimited and thought since i now own this platform car that i should get with the program and get on here as well.

Last edited by Smonkbmw; 02-19-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Smonkbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
daveion2002

My Ride: 2001 330i
Congrats! Can't wait to see what you do with it! I love the slammed touring look. You can buy cheaper coils I put some street edge brand in mine. they have been fine so far, but most on here will tell you not to go cheap haha.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Looks good! Sounds like you have a decent plan of attack on it. For entry level coilovers I'd suggest you also take a look at FKs (LINK). They have a hand full of awesome budget friendly options.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
330xIce

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
Thats a Hamann lip

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

///My Progress Thread - How To Set a Signature - Black Sedans FTMFW
-James-
330xIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Eurohb