E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
DJM1450

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Need Hard Top

This is my first post. I have found a lot of good and valuable information on the site. I just purchased an excellent condition 2002 330ci for my daughter with the agreement that we will both use the car. I am not crazy about rag tops, but she loves it. I only want to drive the car with a hard top. Where can I get a hard top for a reasonable price? What is the price for a used top and new paint?
DJM1450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
These are great verts, you don't need a hardtop in West Palm Beach, FL. But, since you want one, saw one recently for sale for $1800 in this subforum, which gives you some idea of pricing.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
bl2yantthlang

My Ride: e46 m3
I have 1 for 1300 apline white
bl2yantthlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Wondering why you will only drive it with a hardtop. What I found with my soft top is that up to about 70 mph, it is just as quiet. After that, you start to get more wind noise. Visibility is definitely much better, though. And the hardtops are great looking. But, if you're sharing the car with your daughter and she likes the top down, seems like you're setting yourself up for a lot of family hassles. One of the great things about the soft top is the ease of putting the top down. During three seasons up here in New England, my top changes positions multiple times every day. You'll lose the ability to do this with the hardtop - big time.

I'm guessing most people don't put them on/off daily, or even weekly.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
wa325cic330i

My Ride: 325Cic, 530i
I was lucky enough to find my '01 with a matching hardtop. A search of the VIN number confirmed that the top was a factory option delivered with the car.

You will NOT want to swap the top on a daily/weekly basis. For me it is more of a seasonal thing which in Southwest Washington State means the top goes on toward the end of September and comes off in April/May. It is very bulky and when off the car it is vulnerable to damage from bumps and bruises in the garage. Make sure you have a rack to put it on when it is stored.

BTW my wife "HATES" convertibles because they are noisy. She has had to admit that with the top up the car is no noisier than any other car. With the top down, eh, it's noisier. But who cares? The open skies, the wind in your hair........ Sigh. I wish April/May would get here!

Loren

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Bimmer App
wa325cic330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
The wind screen helps a lot, more so wind buffeting than noise, but it does quiet it down some.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Charlescrs6

My Ride: E46 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
The wind screen helps a lot, more so wind buffeting than noise, but it does quiet it down some.
I need a wind screen so bad. I love rolling top down (even in the winter here in RI) despite having a hard top. Wind screen keeps a lot of heat in the cabin I bet.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
DJM1450

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Thanks for all the great input. I am not in a rush for a H/T and not willing to pay $1,800. It may not be worth the trouble of taking the top off and on and storing it. I never owned a vert and will give it a try. Who knows, I may like it and wondered why I waited so long to buy one. I never saw many verts in Philly during my younger days. Besides, I may not get much of an opportunity to drive it, becasue my daughter has it as her only car and lives 70 miles away. If she's happy, then I am happy.
DJM1450 is offline   Reply With Quote