E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #81
Breezy

My Ride: LSB M3, saab 900s
Ideas like raising the minimum wage sounds like a good idea...I just don't know how it gets accomplished without any sort of negative impact towards current employment/economy.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #82
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
From a rational perspective....mandatory wage increase yields a greater expense for the company. Company will raise prices of goods/services, so you are back to square one....I honestly don't understand the logic.

I also fail to see how some people can't admit that minimum wage is NOT designed to support a family, or even an adult. It is designed for someone to work at a young age, to pick up some skills so that when they ARE an adult, they can get a job that pays ABOVE minimum wage. Why do people think that gas pump attendants or cashiers must be able to support their families on their salary?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #83
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
@ 'busa and others using "morals" when it fits their agenda
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #84
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Adam Carolla nails it, in my opinion (basically saying what I said)

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/14/ca...ting-out-kids/
Quote:
On his Wednesday podcast, comedian Adam Carolla mocked President Barack Obama's State of the Union call to raise the minimum wage to help families with two kids, saying that when someone is making minimum wage and has two kids, "you're not paying your fair share," so parents should "stop shitting out kids."

"We know our economy is stronger when we reward an honest day's work with honest wages," Obama said. "But today, a full-time worker making the minimum wage earns $14,500 a year. Even with the tax relief we've put in place, a family with two kids that earns the minimum wage still lives below the poverty line."

But according to Carolla, the author of "Not Taco Bell Material," earning a minimum wage with two kids is a sign of bar parenting.

"And jumping down to minimum wage by the way, speaking of that - and this is another part of good parenting - the best parenting of all is not shitting out the kids when you can't afford the kids," Carolla said. "Again, all these speeches that all these politicians make, right and left - they discuss the problem. Basically, what they're discussing is how to take a ship that's capsized and drain it and get it back up. But they never discuss what capsizes the ship, which is the only ****ing discussion they should be having - is ballast-oriented: How did it get capsized? Not how do we un-capsize it."

He went on to argue that minimum wage jobs aren't a place for parents with two kids. Instead, they're a place to work when younger, before moving on.

"Alright, you're not supposed to have two kids," Carolla said. "Minimum-wage jobs are the ones you're supposed to have in high school and you're supposed to pass through them. The idea is - I worked at McDonald's when I was 16. The whole idea isn't let's make Adam Carolla comfortable working at McDonald's. I was like, 'I'm getting $2.43 a hour. This place sucks ass. I want out of here as fast as I can possibly do it.'"

Carolla explained that he didn't have opportunities simply handed to him in life, noting that his parents were divorced and his mom received welfare benefits.

"I didn't have anything - I just knew this job at McDonald's sucked," he continued. "If they paid me 10 bucks an hour, maybe I'd be managing the place today. So your jobs where you're paid just a little bit are jobs you're supposed to have in high school and you're supposed to move through. And you certainly aren't supposed to have two ****ing kids when you're making minimum wage. It's not responsible; it's not responsible to the kids you're trying to raise; and it's not responsible to the community they live in because you're not - you're not paying your fair share."
So true, especially about how we're not allowed to talk about WHY these things happen.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 02-14-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #85
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
It all comes back to the question, though, of how do you get people to NOT sh1t out kids?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #86
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
It all comes back to the question, though, of how do you get people to NOT sh1t out kids?
Well we obviously can't or shouldn't legislate something like that...BUT

1. Don't reward people for having children, monetarily. They are using more resources, putting more bodies on an earth that is over populated, crowding our schools and taking up more space. We can't punish them for it, but we sure as hell don't need to reward them.

2. Social pressure, stop the PC "everything everyone does is ok" nonsense. You have to feel comfortable telling these people what Carolla said...YOU are not doing your fair share and YOU are an irresponsible parent.

That's all I got. Free abortions and birth control too. Unfortunately, no one uses condoms anymore so even if they were free...probably wouldn't do much. It isn't like people can't get rubbers, they just don't want to use them.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #87
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
giving people with money problems even more money always makes their money problems go away
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #88
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
You don't. You just make life impossible for them if they do, forcing them to elevate themselves out of a sh!t situation....you know....like almost every immigrant that comes here.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #89
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
You don't. You just make life impossible for them if they do, forcing them to elevate themselves out of a sh!t situation....you know....like almost every immigrant that comes here.
Correct, the last thing you want to do is make people comfortable in their poverty

Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #90
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Correct, the last thing you want to do is make people comfortable in their poverty
Thats the problem...poverty is more comfy now than middle class....even the PA state government admitted to it.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #91
Act of God

Quote:
Thats the problem...poverty is more comfy now than middle class....even the PA state government admitted to it.
If by comfortable you mean less stress about paying taxes, mortgages, bills, debt, etc. you may be right. However, a statement like that is going to rustle the hornets nest around here lol

Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #92
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
If by comfortable you mean less stress about paying taxes, mortgages, bills, debt, etc. you may be right. However, a statement like that is going to rustle the hornets nest around here lol
Apologies. They have everything the middle income earner has (place to live, food to eat, a cell phone, clothes, a car, cable tv, etc) but they don't have to work....so yes, not comfortable....just a little more easy going with minimal stress levels.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #93
Act of God

Quote:
Apologies. They have everything the middle income earner has (place to live, food to eat, a cell phone, clothes, a car, cable tv, etc) but they don't have to work....so yes, not comfortable....just a little more easy going with minimal stress levels.
agreed on that point

Old 02-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #94
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
this is interesting - i don't believe it is a fix per say but a great political move.

republicans will no doubt try to stop this from happening thus looking like a$$holes again against helping 'mericans.

there is a lot of hostility in this thread.

You guys act all righteous.

But A) you probably are unhealthy and over weight B) ugly & C) bitter

just chill out please.

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #95
Act of God

per se

Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #96
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
giving people with money problems even more money always makes their money problems go away
Right? Who would have guessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
this is interesting - i don't believe it is a fix per say but a great political move.

republicans will no doubt try to stop this from happening thus looking like a$$holes again against helping 'mericans.

there is a lot of hostility in this thread.

You guys act all righteous.

But A) you probably are unhealthy and over weight B) ugly & C) bitter

just chill out please.
relax
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #97
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Well we obviously can't or shouldn't legislate something like that...BUT

1. Don't reward people for having children, monetarily. They are using more resources, putting more bodies on an earth that is over populated, crowding our schools and taking up more space. We can't punish them for it, but we sure as hell don't need to reward them.

2. Social pressure, stop the PC "everything everyone does is ok" nonsense. You have to feel comfortable telling these people what Carolla said...YOU are not doing your fair share and YOU are an irresponsible parent.

That's all I got. Free abortions and birth control too. Unfortunately, no one uses condoms anymore so even if they were free...probably wouldn't do much. It isn't like people can't get rubbers, they just don't want to use them.
Quote:
While I agree, do you think this is realistic? What politician is essentially going to say "fvck kids" and get anywhere or any sort of traction? Also, while there are certain benefits for having more kids for the poor it does have it's limits. Let's look at the child tax credit.....you can only use the credit to reduce your taxes, not to generate a refund.

I should have put what do we realistically think can be done?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #98
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
While I agree, do you think this is realistic? What politician is essentially going to say "fvck kids" and get anywhere or any sort of traction? Also, while there are certain benefits for having more kids for the poor it does have it's limits. Let's look at the child tax credit.....you can only use the credit to reduce your taxes, not to generate a refund.

I don't think there is a "steady" solution. It has to be ripped off like a bandaid. Give people a 6 month warning, and that's it. They seem to have no problem to do this with the guns, by giving people 90 days to surrender their high capacity magazines, then they are criminals. Just my .02
Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #99
bimmerfan08

Quote:

People need to stop being afraid of offending others and speak their damn minds. Only then can we make progress. Sometimes people need criticism. The degenerates of this country will continue to dictate the rest of us so long as we cower away.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #100
Act of God

Quote:

What's the difference? you pay less in taxes, you have more money. You get a refund, you get more money. I pay more in taxes, and I get no refund.

You are right, though, no politician is ever going to be able to give us the truth and get elected or stay elected. The ship cannot be corrected outside of a reset button. We've raised generations to think they can do whatever they want and at minimum their basic needs will be covered.