E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #21
Circuitsoft

My Ride: 2002 325xi Wagon
Those are good tweeters, but I don't know what crossover frequencies this system has, so I can't speak tot hem working well in this application. I was hoping to find my amp and re-build the crossover in it to my own specs for these (or very similar) speakers, but I still don't know where it is (or if it really is just the head unit).
Circuitsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #22
Breakin Newz

My Ride: BMW
Since I only have 10 speakers because of my standard system in my E46 which part # would I not need out of the ones below?? Sorry I am a system newbie!!

295-372 x4
275-025 x2
290-204 x4
295-309 x2

Last edited by Breakin Newz; 03-17-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Breakin Newz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #23
Circuitsoft

Skip the -309
Also, pick the 8 ohm variants of the midrange, since the base system has 8 ohm drivers (except the 2 ohm woofers). However, if you're new to this, I'd probably get the eBay kit since it includes mounting brackets.

Otherwise, wait a bit while weather warms up here, and I can finish measuring my car, since I'm pretty sure I can do better than those selections.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Bimmer App
Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #24
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
I have used those speakers. I recommended them long ago- and got many PMs about it. I may be the original. The woofer is very good but barely fits. I mean sometimes one clip won't go in on the bottom of the door panel- that's how tight it is. You also have to grind down the plastic ring on the door panel all the way to have a fighting shot.

They are efficient enough that the impedance imbalance is not important. Having said that, because of install difficulties- they aren't equivalent to BSW. And they aren't worth near $600.

There are better midrange options than the one he uses.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #25
Breakin Newz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitsoft View Post
Skip the -309
Also, pick the 8 ohm variants of the midrange, since the base system has 8 ohm drivers (except the 2 ohm woofers). However, if you're new to this, I'd probably get the eBay kit since it includes mounting brackets.

Otherwise, wait a bit while weather warms up here, and I can finish measuring my car, since I'm pretty sure I can do better than those selections.

OK, thank you for the help! I appreciate it, I wonder if he would sell the brackets separate.. Unless someone can make them or if you can!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #26
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakin Newz View Post
OK, thank you for the help! I appreciate it, I wonder if he would sell the brackets separate.. Unless someone can make them or if you can!
You can find them on eBay for $10-$15. Search E46 speaker adapter.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #27
Breakin Newz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
You can find them on eBay for $10-$15. Search E46 speaker adapter.
Woah bro you tha man!!! Thank you!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #28
Breakin Newz

Quote:
Skip the -309

Just checked out teh 8ohm midranges, the speaker looks to be considerably bigger.. Will I have any clearance issues?

Edit: It says the 8ohms are no longer available, if I go with the 4ohms will it be OK?

Last edited by Breakin Newz; 03-17-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #29
Circuitsoft

Sorry for the long wait.

Swap out the 290-204 for 290-206; the physical size is the same, but they're 8 ohm. 264-841 is the tweeter I eventually plan to use in my install; it has a single screw hole on the back to mount to, and solder pads for wires.

Note: The midrange recommendation is not based on my measurements, only on info from this thread. It is still snowing here, so I haven't had a chance to open up my car and measure it yet.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #30
sanvara

My Ride: Black E46
Quote:
Sorry for the long wait.

Swap out the 290-204 for 290-206; the physical size is the same, but they're 8 ohm. 264-841 is the tweeter I eventually plan to use in my install; it has a single screw hole on the back to mount to, and solder pads for wires.

Note: The midrange recommendation is not based on my measurements, only on info from this thread. It is still snowing here, so I haven't had a chance to open up my car and measure it yet.
Any update on this project and what speakers you decided to use?

Last edited by sanvara; 06-08-2013 at 03:31 AM.
sanvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #31
Circuitsoft

Dayton Audio RS150-4 6" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm
Visaton FRS7-8 2.5" Full-Range Speaker 8 Ohm
Tang Band 13-1761S 1/2" Silk Dome Tweeter Pair

I have not yet figured out the best way to mount the midranges. Also, the tweeter needs some attenuation. I'll finish documenting the install this weekend.

This is for the front only, and I don't recommend you buy these until I finish my project - I may recommend against them. Installation is not trivial.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #32
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Quote:
Dayton Audio RS150-4 6" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm
Visaton FRS7-8 2.5" Full-Range Speaker 8 Ohm
Tang Band 13-1761S 1/2" Silk Dome Tweeter Pair

I have not yet figured out the best way to mount the midranges. Also, the tweeter needs some attenuation. I'll finish documenting the install this weekend.

This is for the front only, and I don't recommend you buy these until I finish my project - I may recommend against them. Installation is not trivial.
Unfortunately one of the downsides. Many don't have the time or tools to take these apart or make mounts. Let us know the results.

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #33
Circuitsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halston@BSW View Post
Unfortunately one of the downsides. Many don't have the time or tools to take these apart or make mounts. Let us know the results.
I'm making mounts out of the stock speaker baskets. The most complex tool I'm using is a Craftsman "dremel" tool. It includes a piece that can be used like a router, so you can set an offset for the cutting wheel and make a consistent cut.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #34
alaya

My Ride: E46 330Cic
Oh I just love this forum. Exactly the info I need for my "new" 330Ci!
alaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #35
Norway

My Ride: E46 M3
my advice is to stay as far away you can from this seller, this "kit" is worthless, I bought it from "mods4bimmers" first off he rushed to sell it to me because it was only "a few kits left" when i finally said ok to buy it from him he said i had to wait for 1 week for the adapter rings to arrive, finaly after 1.5 week he sent it to me, when the "kit" arrived 2.5 week after i bought it he had just sent the speakers without any rings, it also missed diffrent install items like screws/bolts, when i let him know, he said he was realy sorry and said he was going to send it straight away,3 days later he finaly decided to send it it, 2.5 week later i got it, and got another bill from the custom cause he wrote the rings was worth 90$ for some plastic ****.

I now tried to install the 6" speakers in the doors and the doorcovers are not possible to fitt with them in, the hole kit is just ****, i have to admit the sound of the 6" is pretty good, but calling this sale a "kitt" is just a lie, buy the adapter rings for 15$ on ebay and the speakers from part express.

or even better buy the bsw kit, i would done that if i knew how bad this fiting was, just sell your hk speakers and you will get the bsw for the same price and no headace.
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #36
Circuitsoft

So, my final speaker selections:

Woofer: Dayton RS150-4
Midrange: Fountek FR58EX
Tweeter: Tang Band 13-1761S

The tweeter comes in a pair, so only buy one. Also, I'm only replacing the front speakers. I'll do the back ones as a separate project later.

You can see the pictures I took here: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/wnep4t2s7ys9o79/sfgV7ondsd

I will write up a how-to later.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #37
alaya

My Ride: E46 330Cic
Quote:
So, my final speaker selections:

Woofer: Dayton RS150-4
Midrange: Fountek FR58EX
Tweeter: Tang Band 13-1761S

The tweeter comes in a pair, so only buy one. Also, I'm only replacing the front speakers. I'll do the back ones as a separate project later.

You can see the pictures I took here: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/wnep4t2s7ys9o79/sfgV7ondsd

I will write up a how-to later.
WOW, awesome pics! And look forward to your how-to. Thank you sir!
alaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #38
Circuitsoft

So, I got the Fountek midranges installed Thursday. They sound absolutely amazing! I suspect the midrange made more of a difference, at least to vocals, than the tweeter or woofer did.

To connect them, go to your dealer and get:
2 of 61136931929, one for each side
4 of 61130005198, two for each side.

Warning: Most soldering irons have an iron core, and the magnet on this speaker is very strong. It could be difficult to solder the wires for that reason. The first part is a connector housing and the second part is a pin with an attached wire. Put the pins into slots 1 and 2 in the housing then close the clip on the side. Strip ~ 1/4" from the end of the wire in pin one, then twist the wires together to make them clean/pretty. Solder the stripped wire to the negative terminal on the Fountek speaker, then strip the other wire and solder it to the positive terminal.

Once the wiring is done, take your stock midrange and press it to the front of the Fountek. Make sure the stock midrange is centered on the square frame of the Fountek. Use a knife to cut the foam gasket around the outside edge of the stock speaker. Use a tin-snips to cut the Fountek frame down to the cut slot in the foam.. At this point, the speaker should slide easily into the stock speaker housing and clip into place. If not, it's likely due to a burr or two on the housing. Use the tin-snips to clean it up, but be careful that any metal shavings don't go anywhere important and make it away from the speaker into the trash.

Once that's all done, put the housing back into the door, and the connector you bought from the dealer should snap right onto the stock wiring harness for the midrange.

Last edited by Circuitsoft; 09-16-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Fixing image link
Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #39
Circuitsoft

So, does anyone in the MSP area have the 10-speaker Non-HK BSW system that I could listen and compare mine to?

Last edited by Circuitsoft; 09-17-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #40
StereoInstaller1

My Ride: 4 door demo booth
Quote:
So, does anyone in the MSP area have the 10-speaker Non-HK BSW system that I could listen and compare mine to?
I would really like to hear your car myself! That mid looks really impressive, I love the idea of a 2" driver with an Fs of 134Hz, although the stock amp seems to run them down to only 700Hz or so, it still does wonders on staging and imaging, bringing the midrange higher in the doors...they work so much better as 3 way!
StereoInstaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote