E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Teens in M3s: What Am I Doing Wrong?

Get off my lawn, you punk kid, and if that ball comes over here again, it's mine.

Okay, there I said it. Yes, I'm a grumpy old guy with a bad back who throws up in his mouth every time he sees a self-respecting motor vehicle stanced, slammed, murdered, or God forbid, hellaflushed.

But I was brought up to believe that if I did well in school and worked hard and saved my money there'd be a just reward when I was old and not-yet-gray.

Instead, with two University of Chicago degrees and an NYU MBA in the house (which we bought way before the housing bubble), I'm driving a 12-year old minivan with a big dent in the side.

And to add insult to injury, I head over to e46 Fanatics and every second thread is about a 17-year old buying an M3 or a ZHP. Who are these kids, and what do they--or their parents--do to be able to afford vehicles of this kind? I'm serious. I watched enough of The Wire to know they're not all slinging drugs.

What did I have when I was 17? A bus pass.
My kid is about to turn 16 and what is he getting? The keys to the minivan. If there's gas in it.

Don't get me started about the noise that passes for music that these kids play--what we can't spin a little Public Enemy or Run DMC now and then?
And those pants? Go to Sears and buy yourself a belt for Chrissakes.

Last edited by avincent52; 11-16-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Rich kids. Just shows to go yah! Degrees aren't worth sh*t. You are better off flippin burgers.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
when I was 17, we did the responsible thing and experimented with marijuana and alcohol. We didn't have money left over for flashy cars.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Fern2899

My Ride: 2003 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to Fern2899
I agree with you myself, but ALOT has to do with the location of where they live.. In most cases these 17year old kids sporting an m3 usually lives in wealthy neighborhoods where they are spoiled by their wealthy parents.. Don't get me wrong I live in the 2nd wealthiest county in the United States or atleast since I last checked (fairfield county) and that's all you see are 16-19 year old driving around in nice cars..

I on the other hand have been brought up similar to yourself, my father is self made and came to this country back in 1976 with the cloths on his back and pretty much that's it, so as he raised me he taught me to work hard save your money and enjoy the finer things in life when you get older (not greyed as you said lol)..

Did my parents spoil me?.. I'm gonna be honest and say somewhat. Did I get a brand new car when I was 16 no. Although it wasn't that old to begin with.. But I did work for it in my fathers company (well technically, the earnings I got for working went straight into my savings account that I couldn't touch til I was 21)..

But to answer your question I am strongly believed that these 17 or 18 year olds in m3's is because their parents purchased it for them cause they can... And they will..

"Work hard and play hard"
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
trippmann

My Ride: E30
Send a message via AIM to trippmann
dont you know we all sell drugs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^It seriously was the worst decision of my life to sign up for this site.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
S85FTW

My Ride: E60 M5 & F30 328XI
Send a message via AIM to S85FTW
Just to let you know, assuming you took out loans for those three degrees, you have a TON in monthly payments over your head for schooling. Between me and my wife, with a phd and two bachelors between us, we pay $4k a month for student loans. That is more than what a lot of people make in a year. Sad reality of today's world is, if you went to a skilled trade school and specialized in areas such as aircraft welding etc, you would be much better off than people like yourself and myself. Reason being, little to no student loan payments. Welcome to Euro-USA.

Last edited by S85FTW; 11-16-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Definitely not from a wealthy family. But I worked two/three jobs through high school and landed a decent full time Job after graduating hs. Really comes down to how good you are with money and saving.

I am very lucky to have an e46 m3 and an e30 at 19 but I definitely worked hard for the money I earned and spent it on what I really wanted. I set goals and strive for them and don't give up.
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???
Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
xfixkaos

My Ride: 00' 328i
Yea, don't have an m3 but i got my e46. Parents didn't help me with a dime.

I'm paying for my own education. Working 2 jobs. 1 as a general manager other as parts sales. Since I was 17.

Not everyone who drives a nice car that's slammed wheels and what not comes from $$

I work everyday for the things I have.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
xfixkaos

My Ride: 00' 328i
But I will agree on music, **** "my generation" or even the one behind me. Blows asshole! It's disgusting how stupid people are now. Btw i just turned 22
Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
avincent52

Quote:
Originally Posted by S85FTW View Post
Just to let you know, assuming you took out loans for those three degrees, you have a TON in monthly payments over your head for schooling. Between me and my wife, with a phd and two bachelors between us, we pay $4k a month for student loans. That is more than what a lot of people make in a year. Sad reality of today's world is, if you went to a skilled trade school and specialized in areas such as aircraft welding etc, you would be much better off than people like yourself and myself. Reason being, little to no student loan payments. Welcome to Euro-USA.
Actually, I'm old enough that we don't have a penny in student loans and haven't for years. And while I live in a very nice part of New Jersey, I bought my house for about half of what it's worth now even after the burst of the real estate bubble.

Last edited by avincent52; 11-16-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
I bought my M earlier this year at 20 years old. Saved up. Sold my truck. I think you should try and accept the fact that people will be spoiled. In my case, people know what they want and work to get it.

I'm sorry your van has a dent in it. Truly
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???
Old 11-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
SK8URDEAD

My Ride: TopazBlu 325I
when i was 17 i got a 1989 cutlass supreme. trust me she wasnt pretty. then when i turned 19 after working for 3 years got a 325i that ive modded/maintained quite well im 21 now and am about to pay it off next month and looking into a $16+k street bike lol. but hey im in the Marine Corps so i gota have fun while im young
Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
At 17 (a year after I got my license), I was handed down my dad's old, wood paneled, 150k miles jeep. I treated it like a queen, worked every summer (and part time while in college), and bought a used, 4 year old e46. Given that I look 5 years younger than I am, I certainly got nasty looks from some (who assumed it was brand new as I kept it meticulously clean).

Moral of the story is that some of those kids you see may have worked their tails off. Others are likely spoiled by parents who don't have enough common sense to realize that providing their kid with a work ethic and a sense of accomplishment (working hard enough to buy something) is far better than providing them with a material possession that will give a similar sense of accomplishment sans hard work.

We have far too many snot nosed kids who compare themselves not by their academic or athletic accomplishments, but rather by what material possessions they bring with them to school.. and far too few who think they're hot sh*t earned any of it on their own... unfortunately in our materialistic day and age, kids don't care how you got it.. they just think you're far cooler because you have it. Rather sad.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 11-16-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Your own happiness and self worth should not (ever) be gauged by what others have/own.

Just recently some young kid got a Ferrari (for his birthday) - F430... it didn't end well for him/his car/his cousin. There's plenty of instances like that.
So, don't feel like "what am i doing wrong", re-adjust your mental outlook.

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 11-16-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
avincent52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
I bought my M earlier this year at 20 years old. Saved up. Sold my truck. I think you should try and accept the fact that people will be spoiled. In my case, people know what they want and work to get it.

There are a lot of things I'm sorrier about than the dent in the van, but thanks.

Let' define *working for it* (not to you specifically Chris, but to the young BMW drivers in general.)

It seems to me that for someone under 21 to save up enough money to buy a $25,000 car and put say $4,000 a year into repairs and maintenance, they're probably having things like room and board and tuition and medical insurance paid for, or at least subsidized, by someone else, most likely Mom and Dad.

Nice "work" if you can get it, I guess.

I thought I'd be one of those parents who'd at least have the option of spoiling my kid that way. I guess my son will have to settle for a new pair of Nikes.

Last edited by avincent52; 11-16-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Does this thread really belong in General?
Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Well if you really want to get into it. My father, filthy rich. He split when I was 7 though. My mom has been very mentally supportive and molded me into a good person. My father always paid his child support, which helped of course. But never anything more. I started working in 9th grade doing landscaping. Tough work. Real tough. Everyday after school and weekends. Bought my truck, was really pinching pennies to afford it, 12th grade comes around and I was granted the chance to learn design, sales and estimating. I've been doing it ever since at 17$ an hour. While I'm lucky they even gave me the chance, I was consistent and dedicated. Had about 10k saved (still living with my mom by the way!! I pay 350 in rent. Buy my own groceries ect ect) sold my truck. Searched and searched for my car. About 4 months. Bought the car. Now I'm just getting raped with the 225 monthly insurance and the maintenance. But when I look at the car. I can give myself a warranted pat on the back.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #19
jporter

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Haha great thread! Over here at 19 years old there is only drugs dealers, spoiled kids and mostly colored (turkish/syrian/maroccan) who loan a lot of money for these cars. And then the next best Ali cousin at Hassan motorsports will fix them whenever they break down or need to pass their yearly check.

You don't see much M3's or 330i's over here anyway, mostly 318, 320 because of fuel consumption
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #20
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
There are a lot of things I'm sorrier about than the dent in the van, but thanks.

Let' define *working for it* (not to you specifically Chris, but to the young BMW drivers in general.)

It seems to me that for someone under 21 to save up enough money to buy a $25,000 car and put say $4,000 a year into repairs and maintenance, they're probably having things like room and board and tuition and medical insurance paid for, or at least subsidized, by someone else, most likely Mom and Dad.

Nice "work" if you can get it, I guess.

I thought I'd be one of those parents who'd at least have the option of spoiling my kid that way. I guess my son will have to settle for a new pair of Nikes.
Come on now... if spoiling your kid(s) require/means you buy them a performance car or other high dollar toys, then maybe a change in definition for being "a great parent" is in order.
Closed Thread