E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Li-Ion? How about Na-Ion?

I believe something was posted about the sodium cathodes a little over a year ago, but here's the update.

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/g...ery-technology

Quote:
A team of engineers led by 94-year-old John Goodenough, professor in the Cockrell School of Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin and co-inventor of the lithium-ion battery, has developed the first all-solid-state battery cells that could lead to safer, faster-charging, longer-lasting rechargeable batteries for handheld mobile devices, electric cars and stationary energy storage.

Goodenough’s latest breakthrough, completed with Cockrell School senior research fellow Maria Helena Braga, is a low-cost all-solid-state battery that is noncombustible and has a long cycle life (battery life) with a high volumetric energy density and fast rates of charge and discharge. The engineers describe their new technology in a recent paper published in the journal Energy & Environmental Science.

“Cost, safety, energy density, rates of charge and discharge and cycle life are critical for battery-driven cars to be more widely adopted. We believe our discovery solves many of the problems that are inherent in today’s batteries,” Goodenough said.

The researchers demonstrated that their new battery cells have at least three times as much energy density as today’s lithium-ion batteries. A battery cell’s energy density gives an electric vehicle its driving range, so a higher energy density means that a car can drive more miles between charges. The UT Austin battery formulation also allows for a greater number of charging and discharging cycles, which equates to longer-lasting batteries, as well as a faster rate of recharge (minutes rather than hours).
TL;DR: Safer, more energy-dense, and faster charging batteries may be right around the corner. Prepare your anus.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
So you like stuffing batteries up your anus, ehh?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post
So you like stuffing batteries up your anus, ehh?
Who doesn't?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
I've never heard a more appropriate name for an engineer than "Goodenough".
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Cheaper, faster, lighter, and more efficient? What's not to like?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
SPDSKTR

I'm hoping mass production of these batteries will begin in the near future. What I think is great is the fact they can be charged quickly with no adverse effects. I know the Tesla Super Charger reduces the amount of power being delivered to the battery when it reaches something like 80% of the charge, but having that much juice shoved into the battery at once, regardless of charge cycle, surely can't be good for it.

The possibilities are going to be fantastic. Vehicles with insane ranges (1,000+ miles per charge), phones that can last three days on a single charge, consumer-grade batteries that can be recharged in a couple minutes, and even boats and ships can switch to electric power.

Now that I think about it, this should allow planes to have a type of electric cruise mode as well. Use fuel for takeoff and possibly to recharge the batteries while on longer flights, but it shouldn't require TOO much energy to keep a plane suspended at higher altitudes, no?
Old 03-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
[IMG]
http://i.imgur.com/xUmRuJn.jpg[/IMG]
Sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Last edited by Zell; 03-06-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
I'm hoping mass production of these batteries will begin in the near future. What I think is great is the fact they can be charged quickly with no adverse effects. I know the Tesla Super Charger reduces the amount of power being delivered to the battery when it reaches something like 80% of the charge, but having that much juice shoved into the battery at once, regardless of charge cycle, surely can't be good for it.

The possibilities are going to be fantastic. Vehicles with insane ranges (1,000+ miles per charge), phones that can last three days on a single charge, consumer-grade batteries that can be recharged in a couple minutes, and even boats and ships can switch to electric power.

Now that I think about it, this should allow planes to have a type of electric cruise mode as well. Use fuel for takeoff and possibly to recharge the batteries while on longer flights, but it shouldn't require TOO much energy to keep a plane suspended at higher altitudes, no?
Depends on the size of the treadmill at takeoff.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
Depends on the size of the treadmill at takeoff.
The treadmill will also be Na-Ion battery powered.