E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
BringsMeWomen

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Iphone 5, Samsung Galaxy s3, or Note 2? Which to choose...

So im getting a new phone next week on friday probably. I currently have an iphone 4s and cant decide between the iphone 5, s3 or the note 2. So many damn decisions lol. I know a lot of people have been hating on apple this year saying they are playing "catch up" to andriod devices so thats what intitally threw me off. I was gonna get the I5 until i started hearing all of this. I believe this is somewhat true after getting my 4s and figuring out that it wasnt that much of an upgrade from the iphone 4. The things i look when buying a phone is performance, looks, and basically just a smooth experience while using it. My 4s has had some software issues with apps not opening up and stuff like that which kinda annoyed me. Just need some guidance to pick the right phone. Much appreciated fanatics!
BringsMeWomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
The one that still fits in a pocket?

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 01-25-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
zan

My Ride: 06 m3 sold/ 03.5 m3
I was between the i phone 5 and the note 2 ... I ended up with the note 2 !!!! So far I love it man...go for it... This device is awesome!!!!!

Current ride: 2003.5 M3 COUPE 6 SPEED SILVER GRAY DD
zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
The iphone 5 over the S3 for sure. I've never used the Note2 so I can't comment, although people that have it seem to love it.

The thing with the iphone 5 is that it does all the basics nearly flawlessly. Messaging (iMessage is excellent, and if you date girls, it is almost key as they almost always have an iphone); Siri for tasks; apps are almost always better on iOS than Android.

I'm really impressed with siri for scheduling reminders, calendar appts, and even texting. Android's voice recognition is just as good if not better, but does not do those basic things as well. Ex: Android won't read your incoming texts to you, and while you can dictate a text out, it is easier and smoother via siri.

If you just want to use a phone for the basics and to the fullest without much trouble, go iphone 5. I've been more than impressed with it. Excellent battery life (I went up to 2 days once on standby with 10 hours of usage; and ALWAYS get through the day with it under normal use), excellent screen, great form factor.

If you are going to mod and flash ROMS, then Android is for you. Or if you depend on Google Voice and chat, then Android better integrates those (I don't like the Gvoice app on iOS as it is a little slow to update, and you can use imo for gchat, but not as integrated).
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
BringsMeWomen

I was leaning towards the note 2 as well but i liked both when i was playing around with them in the store. Glad your enjoying yours
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
aldeghij

My Ride: 2003 330i
Here's my take. Apple still has a superior piece of hardware, but ios is seriously dumbed down compared to android. The battery life on my iPhone 5 kills all 3 android devices I've had in the past. I definitely miss some aspects of android since I switched to the iPhone. I have a nexus 7 tablet that keeps me in android though.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Go for the iphone5. Its designed and built really well for a phone,. and its a really solid os.
Don't bother with the note2 aka iPad mini .... android force closes all the time and mediocre batteries consumption/life
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
I develop applications for Android and iPhone and I prefer my iPhone 5 by far

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
iPhone 5 FTW. Me and my fiancÚ both use iPhone 5. iMessage is great. I have used all iPhone models and used Htc g1, mytouch 3G and s3. I like iPhones better for the intuitive and really well laid OS. S3 hardware is better but android systems are still buggy.

I have never used your 3rd choice so can't comment.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Go use both and then decide. They're both good

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
BringsMeWomen

Alright thanks for the input guys! Keep your opinions coming if other people want to as well
Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
How dare you encourage free will.

iPhone, because metal is better than plastic.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
It's all about priorities. Do you mainly use the phone to surf? Do you have a tablet?

I for one would HATE to have the Note 2 as my phone. I own an iPhone 5. It's been great. But there are other options as well if you aren't feeling iOS.

How about an HTC One X+ or Nexus 4? Both great phones- with build quality far surpassing anything made by Samsung.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
DaN_the_MaN

My Ride: 2011 GTR
I just picked up the Note 2 and the phone is amazing!
DaN_the_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
auto180sx

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
+1

I went with the iPhone 5 after having 3 Android phones over the last couple years. My first andriod phone was MUCH more capable then my current iPhone, but the iPhone just works. I was seeing 6-8 hours of use out of the androids on a good day, if I forget to charge the iPhone one night I don't worry it'll get me home the next evening. Both are great platforms with their advantages and disadvantages. Though I do like how SMALL my iPhone is...

OKI BMW
BMW CCA Member #444186
auto180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
i've had every model of iphone, and still use an iphone for work.

that said, i use the galaxy s3 for personal use and unless samsung fvcks up in a major way, won't ever miss the iphone. the s3 does almost everything faster, and integrates with google, gmail, etc flawlessly. battery life on the stock battery is a drawback, but if u uspgrade the battery, u'll never look back.

iphone has does possibly the best marketing job in history. iphone is trendy and "cool". it has the "it" factor. kids HAVE to HAVE the newest apple product at all times. if u use ur phone for the basics, iphone is the best out there. very simple to use.

i am addicted to the larger s3 screen. i don't wear skinny jeans tho, so a s3 easily fits in my pocket.

Last edited by wrighterjw10; 01-25-2013 at 10:17 PM.
wrighterjw10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #17
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
The iphone 5 over the S3 for sure. I've never used the Note2 so I can't comment, although people that have it seem to love it.

The thing with the iphone 5 is that it does all the basics nearly flawlessly. Messaging (iMessage is excellent, and if you date girls, it is almost key as they almost always have an iphone); Siri for tasks; apps are almost always better on iOS than Android.

I'm really impressed with siri for scheduling reminders, calendar appts, and even texting. Android's voice recognition is just as good if not better, but does not do those basic things as well. Ex: Android won't read your incoming texts to you, and while you can dictate a text out, it is easier and smoother via siri.

If you just want to use a phone for the basics and to the fullest without much trouble, go iphone 5. I've been more than impressed with it. Excellent battery life (I went up to 2 days once on standby with 10 hours of usage; and ALWAYS get through the day with it under normal use), excellent screen, great form factor.

If you are going to mod and flash ROMS, then Android is for you. Or if you depend on Google Voice and chat, then Android better integrates those (I don't like the Gvoice app on iOS as it is a little slow to update, and you can use imo for gchat, but not as integrated).
u didn't ever update to jellybean did you?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #18
monkeyjuice5150

My Ride: ///M3 droptop
Send a message via AIM to monkeyjuice5150
I would say the note 2 is for someone who does work on the go, executive, professionals etc. I'm leaning toward the note 2 because it has the S pen. Something I need so that people can sign documents and I can just email it off right away. If the note 2 is too big, then get the s3. Same thing but smaller. Or wait 2-3 more months and get the s4. With a nice slim rubber cover. The phone looks really sleek.

i5 is nice, but it is almost the same as the i4s. Great battery life. Overall a good phone for anyone. My wife and I have both phones and it serve us good, but there are times I'm limited to things I would like to do.

Last edited by monkeyjuice5150; 01-25-2013 at 11:37 PM.
monkeyjuice5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #19
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjuice5150 View Post
I would say the note 2 is for someone who does work on the go, executive, professionals etc. I'm leaning toward the note 2 because it has the S pen. Something I need so that people can sign documents and I can just email it off right away. If the note 2 is too big, then get the s3. Same thing but smaller. Or wait 2-3 more months and get the s4. With a nice slim rubber cover. The phone looks really sleek.

i5 is nice, but it is almost the same as the i4s. Great battery life. Overall a good phone for anyone. My wife and I have both phones and it serve us good, but there are times I'm limited to things I would like to do.
I don't understand the point of the Note, it's huge, why not just carry a tablet. It's not a phone. It's a phone trying to be a tablet. It's ridiculously large.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
u didn't ever update to jellybean did you?
lol, please don't try to school me. I was on every new nightly out there (that's the very latest ROM, kernel, baseband, etc.) and on Jellybean before the official OTA push. The iphone 5 is faster, smoother, and does all the basics better than any current Android out there.

I've owned both, and unless you have too, please don't compare.

The S3 is a fine phone once you remove touchwiz and get to the Vanilla Android experience. It still is not as good as the iPhone 5 at the basics. And the iphone 5 is much faster/smoother despite whatever hardware they packed into the S3. I believe independent tests support that claim too.

All that aside, the most important thing is end-user real-world experience: iPhone 5 is just so much more of a pleasure to use.

I do look forward to the next generation of Androids. The next major OS overhaul should be a great one, and with better hardware coming out from those makers, we have a lot to be excited about.

Last edited by alphawhiskey; 01-25-2013 at 11:42 PM.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote