E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #41
MSportBMW

My Ride: E46, EVO8
All the best with your move to the ///M mate you have been a great contributor and shared alot of info with your track non-m. I do believe it would be alot simpler having a track E46M3 as the car already has alot of the support systems in place from the factory.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #42
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
I think Zionsville is a bit overhyped, especially for the price. The aluminum can crack just as easily as the plastic, and I have seen it. When you factor in the cost, it takes about 3 OEM radiators to make up the cost of 1 Zionsville. I'm not sure about the inline 6 motor, but the S62 has a 0 pressure system.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #43
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
I think Zionsville is a bit overhyped, especially for the price. The aluminum can crack just as easily as the plastic, and I have seen it. When you factor in the cost, it takes about 3 OEM radiators to make up the cost of 1 Zionsville. I'm not sure about the inline 6 motor, but the S62 has a 0 pressure system.
Yup. and the radiator needs some massaging to get it in. Also makes servicing anything in the front of the belt drive a PIA. Never would pay $1700 for it...I didn't. But the aluminum does dissipate hear much better than plastic. That's definitely worth something.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #44
Ky///m3

My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Yup. and the radiator needs some massaging to get it in. Also makes servicing anything in the front of the belt drive a PIA. Never would pay $1700 for it...I didn't. But the aluminum does dissipate hear much better than plastic. That's definitely worth something.
Just get the c&r radiator with an electric fan........ Prob solved

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #45
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky///m3 View Post
Just get the c&r radiator with an electric fan........ Prob solved
For the M3? Easy. PIA for the 330...no options that REALLY fit are available. There are ones that say they fit but they are just M3 radiators. Unless something has changed over the past 12 months.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #46
Hageee

My Ride: E46 330xiA
Send a message via ICQ to Hageee
We've made some good experience with a water/methanol kit, which helps to reduce heatsoak and with the added water into the compressed air, you've able to reduce pinging / knock issues. Timing retard is "the last" way to protect the engine, the first way is to get better and colder spark-plugs, reduce temprature (colder water-temps i.e. 80 degrees instead of 87 degrees and colder oil temps becouse m54b30 had oil snoozles under the cylinders to cool) and get higher octan (meth / water) to prevent pinging.

Stock compression is able to get 8.5 psi - 9.0 psi with water/meth...
Hageee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #47
bigjae1976

Well...it was damned fun while it lasted, if not a little frustrating. OK, a lot. The official remembrance pics of this beast.

A little sideways perhaps???

Last edited by bigjae1976; 02-27-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #48
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
Been saying this for years when people question me for staying N/A. I'd rather a car I can flog on lap after lap and keep having fun than a car where I waste half of my track day money on getting the unexpected 'privilege' to work on my car in their pits with limited tools
Old 03-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #49
lrinco01

My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky///m3 View Post
You are a smart man.

I just sold my car and picked up an e30 m3 bmwcca touring class car. Want to talk about reliable and light on consumables? This thing is epic.
WHAT?

When did you sell your HPF sty.II M3? Damn it seems like yesterday YOU spent ALL THAT Time installing the HPF Kit yourself.

wow....so who did you sell the M3 To?

James,

I think you, highboostin330 and Minnoe07 should just settle this @ the Track?

MFest VII...a track none of you 3 frequent right? lol

j/k
HPF Stg.2 on the new Pt6766 Turbo/ Open Dump/ AA Lightweight flywheel/ Aggressive Tune good for 661 RWHP!

2012 X5D 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD, Fully optioned up......soon TRD supercharged

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953
lrinco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #50
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrinco01 View Post

James,

j/k
I already know the answer...the E46M3 would win.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #51
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
You think you know the answer.

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #52
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnoe07 View Post
You think you know the answer.
Oh I do. Two cars.

1. An E46M3 of comparable weight stock with 4.10 gears
2. An E46 330 that just dyno'd 340 at the wheels a week prior

The 330 will slowly catch up on a straight. But the M3 can easily stuff 275s in the wheel wells which is a MASSIVE advantage to 255s which negates any advantage on the straight.

In the 330, the E46 M3 would beat me out of every corner. So he'd be 2-3mph faster on exit which basically multiplies as you get down the track. The only way I catch him is under braking and then basically get super aggressive and basically powerslide the car. BTW, I am the faster driver.

I'm about to put the M3 on the track tomorrow at Texas World Speedway going CCW. Best time in the 330 is 1:57:32 with a top speed of 140mph.

The 330 had 255 RS3s and a BBK. The M3 will be about 100lbs lighter, have 275 NT01s and OE brakes and pagid yellows. Something tells me that I will match or beat that time consistently...in the first time on the track in the M3.

Again, read the first post. Its about the entire car...not just the engine.

Don't underestimate the disadvantage all of that extra weight that's high and over the nose of the is.

EDIT: I think I'm taking this too serious and that BASTARD minnoe07 just baited me...facepalm (have to type it since I think the smiley is gone...)

Last edited by bigjae1976; 03-01-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #53
Ky///m3

My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrinco01 View Post
WHAT?

When did you sell your HPF sty.II M3? Damn it seems like yesterday YOU spent ALL THAT Time installing the HPF Kit yourself.

wow....so who did you sell the M3 To?

James,

j/k
sold it to a gentleman by the name of Tucker Clegg. I miss her but i think it was the right choice given the direction i want to go..........club racing

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #54
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
Heh, well, you know....

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #55
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
What was your time?
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #56
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable boosting an aluminum block motor that is known to have issues as-is in NA form. I sold an S54 to a member who races his 330 and got tired of grenading his M54's. Anyone looking to push the M54 should go take a walk through his shop of dead engines laying around.

The S54 with all it's shortfalls can be fixed.

Last edited by braymond141; 03-04-2013 at 10:34 PM.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #57
bigjae1976

So ran the M3 this weekend as a test to see where I need to go in the setup. I basically took the coilovers off the 330 unchanged and bolted them onto the M3. Even the camber plates. Did a 2:01:01. Which is almost 4 seconds off my best 330 time. The problem was I had WAY too much camber in the front (-4.5) and could have used more toe in at the rear. NTB couldn't get it right...yeah...last minute had no choice but to go to NTB. Yeah, I basically ran out of time so I just went with whatever.

On this track, you get punished dearly in the fast turns (which is about 11 of 15 turns) because the back end keeps wanting to wag. Then you get punished dearly in the slower deep trailbraking turns because you have to be sooooo careful with the pedal or the back end will come around quickly.

On the back straight, my top speed was about the same. The front straight I was off by about 8-9mph. There was a strong head wind...some of that had to do with my line....some was due to me feathering the throttle on exit because of the alignment issue when I'm normally on full throttle.

You can't underestimate how much the extra 1000rpms helps to reduce shifts. At least at this track, right at key moments. In my 330, I had to make about 14-16 shifts per lap between 2nd to 5th. The shorter gearing on the M3 with the revs cut that down to 10 shifts. Not once did I have to drop down 2 gears.

So going back to my original statement, the M3 as a whole is a superior car for the track that rewards skill vs an FI'd 330. You just have to be willing to look beyond WHP #'s. I don't see why I won't be turning 1:56-1:57's consistently once the setup gets sorted.

The official first track event will be March 23 at Motorsport Ranch Cresson.

Last edited by bigjae1976; 03-05-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #58
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
bigjae,

haven't been to the FI forum and totally missed on this thread. Does that make the two of us who tracked our FI bimmers the hell out of?

You echoed the exact same points as I did a few years ago.

The FI setup is never an ideal setup for track or competition. Maintenance, tuning aside, I get penalized a lot of points when competing in NASA TT. I did eventually score my regional championship in 2011 and that was a proud moment. But the blood, sweat and tears that went into getting that was beyond anyone can understand.

Of course, if I were to do this again, it will be a NA motor.

The rather contradicting fact is looking back at the last 10years of supercharging/competing in my BMW (samir went into business in 2002/2003), if it hadn't been the FI modifications/maintenance, I would not have bonded this much with the car. See, it's not just about slapping onto the car with something off the shelves, driving the hell out of, showing off at car shows etc. But experiencing the breakdowns, failures, dealing with frustrating issues and fixing the issues that made it all worthwhile. And coming out stronger and learning a few things about dealing with stress.

After 14 months of hiatus from track, I took her out again last weekend (with fresh fluids of course). What a drive! And pple at NASA actually remember my car...and that really brought a smile to me.

Frankly, if it had stayed a NA car, even with the championship, I doubt pple remember.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #59
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
So ran the M3 this weekend as a test to see where I need to go in the setup. I basically took the coilovers off the 330 unchanged and bolted them onto the M3. Even the camber plates. Did a 2:01:01. Which is almost 4 seconds off my best 330 time. The problem was I had WAY too much camber in the front (-4.5) and could have used more toe in at the rear. NTB couldn't get it right...yeah...last minute had no choice but to go to NTB. Yeah, I basically ran out of time so I just went with whatever.

On this track, you get punished dearly in the fast turns (which is about 11 of 15 turns) because the back end keeps wanting to wag. Then you get punished dearly in the slower deep trailbraking turns because you have to be sooooo careful with the pedal or the back end will come around quickly.

On the back straight, my top speed was about the same. The front straight I was off by about 8-9mph. There was a strong head wind...some of that had to do with my line....some was due to me feathering the throttle on exit because of the alignment issue when I'm normally on full throttle.

You can't underestimate how much the extra 1000rpms helps to reduce shifts. At least at this track, right at key moments. In my 330, I had to make about 14-16 shifts per lap between 2nd to 5th. The shorter gearing on the M3 with the revs cut that down to 10 shifts. Not once did I have to drop down 2 gears.

So going back to my original statement, the M3 as a whole is a superior car for the track that rewards skill vs an FI'd 330. You just have to be willing to look beyond WHP #'s. I don't see why I won't be turning 1:56-1:57's consistently once the setup gets sorted.

The official first track event will be March 23 at Motorsport Ranch Cresson.

Lol that second vid when you hit the wipers!
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #60
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift View Post
bigjae,

haven't been to the FI forum and totally missed on this thread. Does that make the two of us who tracked our FI bimmers the hell out of?

You echoed the exact same points as I did a few years ago.

The FI setup is never an ideal setup for track or competition. Maintenance, tuning aside, I get penalized a lot of points when competing in NASA TT. I did eventually score my regional championship in 2011 and that was a proud moment. But the blood, sweat and tears that went into getting that was beyond anyone can understand.

Of course, if I were to do this again, it will be a NA motor.

The rather contradicting fact is looking back at the last 10years of supercharging/competing in my BMW (samir went into business in 2002/2003), if it hadn't been the FI modifications/maintenance, I would not have bonded this much with the car. See, it's not just about slapping onto the car with something off the shelves, driving the hell out of, showing off at car shows etc. But experiencing the breakdowns, failures, dealing with frustrating issues and fixing the issues that made it all worthwhile. And coming out stronger and learning a few things about dealing with stress.

After 14 months of hiatus from track, I took her out again last weekend (with fresh fluids of course). What a drive! And pple at NASA actually remember my car...and that really brought a smile to me.

Frankly, if it had stayed a NA car, even with the championship, I doubt pple remember.
The accountant in me...looking back I am horrified at the time and money I've spend.

But, I am with you 110%. When everything worked...I was one of the few cars out there that was quick in the turns, quick on the straights AND not closing in on 2 tons. I was going to strip it out when I got it back if I hadn't ran into the M3 that I bought.

Everyone knew my car and I got so many compliments. And the blood (often) sweat (everytime), and tears (only at the end) put into it made it sooooo much sweeter! I looked at the Texas NASA records in TTB (I think that where I would have been) and I think I could have been within tenths of those times pretty consistently.

100% true...FI did increase my love for the car. If I had a much fatter wallet, I'd still be running it. Except I'd have a spare motor with the TS compressor on it...quick swap when it blows up and a trailer full of spare parts. Oh and a paid full time mechanic keeping it running. Unfortunately, my love for this car has put a pretty big dent in the checking account. I don't think anyone will ever pay me to drive it so its time.

We are definitely seeing eye to eye. I'm soooo glad I did it! Wouldn't do it again.

Nice hearing from you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
Lol that second vid when you hit the wipers!
I almost shat myself on that one...I didn't think the back end would come around.