E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT

NY / NJ / CT
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
NY NJ CT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #21
Pnoybm2

My Ride: E53 4.4 & E71 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard5040 View Post
I know that this is a long shot but figured that if anyone would understand, readers on this forum would. My steel gray, mint condition 03 M3 was stolen in Newark NJ yesterday at 12:03 PM. Before anyone asks, security cameras have video of a black Porsche Cayenne driving by it , backing up, and the passenger in and driving off in about 30 seconds. Anyway, I'm hoping that it's not on it's way overseas but driving around the Essex, Hudson, maybe Passaic area. It's steel gray with dove interior. There is a small crack in the diffuser to the right of the right exhaust pipe. IT HAD NY plate FHD 6217. If anyone happens to see it, please call the local cops. Newark pd has the report and hopefully the interest to check it out.
do you have a picture of your car..it would be Helpful

Current- 3 X's

06 E53 4.8is Dinan
06 E53 Sport-Dinan
11 E71 50i sport Fully Moded -Dinan
Pnoybm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #22
rboostedm3

My Ride: 04 bmw m3
You should show the op the car to determine if it's his or not! If it is your going to be charged with possession of stolen property... Simple as that! Do the right thing, before you get yourself involved deeper than you already are. But that's just my 2cents
rboostedm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #23
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboostedm3 View Post
You should show the op the car to determine if it's his or not! If it is your going to be charged with possession of stolen property... Simple as that! Do the right thing, before you get yourself involved deeper than you already are. But that's just my 2cents
Not if he makes sure identifying numbers are changed! That was a great buy...an M for $4,000. Do the cooling system on that right away!

Anyway, OP...I think you should back up a bit...get the police involved. If a key 'one number off' on vin was ordered recently, I don't know how exactly, but those were probably the guys.

I don't believe in coincidences. Seriously...someone knows what's up...that vin, one number off...too coincidental. One of those numbers was changed before it went to bmwna headquarters in NJ. Or, the number that was off, is known to be a number that doesn't make a difference in the key coding...IDK.

You get me? It's too fishy. Talk to a detective in your town or in the town where that key was purchased.

(I should have been a detective!)

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #24
JQuick5156

My Ride: 2004 330 Coupe
I removed my keyhole for that reasons lol I mean if they want in....they will still find a way but meh....

But I also only have a 330 so lot less too worry about.

Anyway that's shitty OP I hope you find your car.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #25
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
So a bmw CAN be stolen without a key(without a tow truck of course)?

This worries me.

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #26
SJZach

My Ride: orient blue 325xi
Damn this sucks good luck finding it op
SJZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
metal massager

My Ride: frankenbi///Mmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
That's just terrible. I live in Essex County so I'll definitely keep my eyes open.

Funny, just yesterday afternoon I answered a Craig's List ad, and got a great deal on a clean, steel grey 2003 M3.
Really smooth transaction. Called the guy up and an hour later we met in East Orange. Guy drove up in the M3 followed by his friend in a black Cayenne.
Nice guys. Great price.

It had a broken lock and a little curbage on the right rear wheels, and a crack on the bottom of the rear bumper. So because of that and the dove interior a few other problems, and the fact that the guy was moving to Oklahoma for a new job, I was able to negotiate him down to $4,000. A little hard to believe that I called the guy at 12:30 yesterday and by quarter to two I had a new-to-me M3, but you've got to jump on a deal like that.

The owner said he had to go to his mother's house in Coney Island this morning to get the title, but I'm going to him meet this afternoon by this really great hot dog stand in Newark.

I'll post pics of my new baby later today, and of course, I'll be on the look out for your car, OP.

Avincent52.....what can I say? This guy just got his baby jacked and you decide its the perfect time for a joke? Your comments are insensitive, bordering on rude.........and funny as hell!!!!! Hopefully op can take a step back and get a laugh....best medicine, you know. I can't believe everyone fell for your story.....even dmax (Mr funny himself...he should have been on the scene before you). Good one.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #28
Sofresh2Clean

My Ride: ...
As a matter of fact dont answer on here pm for more info. Goodluck..

Last edited by Sofresh2Clean; 02-16-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Sofresh2Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #29
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal massager View Post
Avincent52.....what can I say? This guy just got his baby jacked and you decide its the perfect time for a joke? Your comments are insensitive, bordering on rude.........and funny as hell!!!!! Hopefully op can take a step back and get a laugh....best medicine, you know. I can't believe everyone fell for your story.....even dmax (Mr funny himself...he should have been on the scene before you). Good one.
Exactly what I was about to say even to the part about Dmax! Good luck finding your car, OP!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #30
ard5040

My Ride: 03 M3
Thanks to everyone who responded, including "avincent52". Never thought for a minute that he had my car. I have contacted the police in both Newark and East Orange (my EZ Pass showed the car exited the GSP north at exit 144 before I cancelled it). They are not interested and more or less said just wait for the insurance payout. And yes, according to BMW NA, the EWS can be bypassed temporarily but the car will eventually shut down after about 20 miles. I was told (confidentially) by a BMW tech that thieves can get around that also with new software. Thinking about a Civic right now and keeping my eyes open for another clean E46 M3. By the way, I didn't know this but an insurance company will increase your payoff with proof of replacement parts. For me that includes the PSS 10 coilovers, TMS sway bar and mounting kit, TMS adjustable rear camber arms, front control arms, Samco hoses,... that I installed in the last six months figuring I'd drive this car into my retirement. Thanks for the "condolences".
ard5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Quote:
ARD
I'm glad you could find a little humor in this. I got my car totaled this summer and I got some compassion--and some abuse--so it seemed like the E46 Fanatics way.

I do feel your pain, but the good news is that it's insured and you'll be M3-free but with a sizable check soon. FWIW, NovaBimmer and others gave me some great advice on dealing with the insurance company. Search his Ask an Insurance Adjuster thread.

My $.02: Do your homework, don't jump at the first offer, and most of all remember that the claims person is just a person doing a job and not out to screw you, so be friendly and patient and flat out nice (hard though it may be) and you'll get a decent settlement and ultimately another M3.

It shouldn't be that hard to find one. Although you might have to pay a little more than $4K.

(Try finding a low mileage 2005 wagon with a Sports package and a 5 speed.
I've been looking for six months.)
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #32
dmax

Um, I didn't fall for the troll...I just did some more trolling is all.

Some of you are missing my subtlety! One of you is missing a car...seriously...get to the police. Cry a bit if you need to...(pull out a nostril hair when the detective isn't looking and you'll tear up just fine).

A key was cut for one vin # off...that's not a coincidence...I can't believe it is.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #33
metal massager

My Ride: frankenbi///Mmer
I had a feeling you were playing along, but it was so subtle that I thought I'd at least call you on it. Haha
Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #34
dmax

Quote:
I had a feeling you were playing along, but it was so subtle that I thought I'd at least call you on it. Haha
I've seen this thread before here...besides, the troller was pretty obvious...figured everyone just knew everyone knew. I'm pretty immune to trolls now, having mastered it myself, you know!

Just saying.

I hope OP comes back with info from the Police. What are they there for if not to investigate stuff like this?

Of course they'll shrug their shoulders and hope you go away...don't go away...get them involved.

Good luck, OP!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #35
VonGeiss

My Ride: 2002 m3
You need the key, or a flat bed, or the car isn't going anywhere. Newer BMW's with keyless fob's can be hacked via computer to start them, but luckily ours actually use a laser cut key. My bet is this guy had a key.

on the other note, to the guy who bought a $4000 m3, pics or it didnt happen. NO ONE in their right mind, ESPECIALLY the "original owner" who bought the car for $60,000, would sell it that cheap. If this was legit, he could have posted it for $10,000 and sold it just as quick.

And he gave you his house keys instead of the title? What are you stupid?

OP I'd have a look at this guys car...

2002 Carbon Black ///M3 - current
2002 Stahlgrau ///M3 - RIP
2001 325i - sold

Instagram: @VONGEISS
VonGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #36
ard5040

My Ride: 03 M3
Again, thanks to everyone for your responses. This is from BMW of NA in Montvale NJ. An E46 CAN be stolen without a key. When the ECU recognizes that the car was started without the key it will shut the motor off and will not restart without reflashing the software. This occurs after it's been driven around 20 miles. They also told me that the only way to get a key made was to show a photo ID and proof of ownership, the title and bill of sale, so it's highly unlikely that a key was made.
ard5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #37
francogt1

My Ride: E30 M3
Send a message via AIM to francogt1
I saw a steel gray e46 m3 with black spray painted wheels on route 21 lastnight by the mcdonals ... maybe they are joy riding it around the area? Newark is very known for car theft, i would suggest you take a ride down north newark by where its really ghetto you might find it just sitting on the street
Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #38
xxxxxbrianxxxxx

My Ride: 2007 328i sedan
acevincent that is could be op's car and whos to say that they got that m3 to a flat bed before 20 miles its very posible also was the driver or pasinger lock broken because if it matches op's tape it HAS to be his car
xxxxxbrianxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #39
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
i know of a 2003 m3 that was rob a few years ago in queens

the guy was on here went to a movie in queens when he was walking to his car he saw a toll truck tolling it away it was draging the back bumber..i guess it all depends how bad they want the m3........
and im sorry they took your car.. i have to be more careful with a m3.....
bob
Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #40
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm3 View Post
the guy was on here went to a movie in queens when he was walking to his car he saw a toll truck tolling it away it was draging the back bumber..i guess it all depends how bad they want the m3........
and im sorry they took your car.. i have to be more careful with a m3.....
bob
Bob your missing a $800 viper alarm.

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote