E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Sxry666

My Ride: Nothing yet.
Arrow Help getting my first car?

Hello, e46 forum Today, I finally registered on here to join the community but anyway I need help with getting my first car. I'm 17 years old and will be turning 18 in May and I been thinking on getting BMW M3 e46. I have looked for an Evo 9 but they seem like very unreliable cars due to engine/transmission failures every 50k miles. On the other hand, m3 e46 seems like more reliable car. I have a pretty low budget for an m3 which has to be under 15k usd. I'm not sure if its smart getting a 15k m3 with more than 90 or 100k miles on it. Two years ago my family got a first M car which happens to be 08 e60 m5 and I absolutely fell in love with it. I can not see me driving anything else but an m car. If you know any cars that would match me? Also, would it be smart buying a high millage vechicle?

I'm a huge car enthusiast just like many of you, so please I want resonable answers.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Ecko

My Ride: 2003 M3
Learn to drive before you buy a sports car and hurt yourself.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Learn how to write.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Sxry666

if you don't have anything useful to say then gtfo. Not trying to start an argument here.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
OfficinePanerai

My Ride: M3
here is what happens when you have teens driving M cars

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/627851/all

Last edited by OfficinePanerai; 02-16-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Funny, I was the one who started a very popular thread about annoying teenagers buying M3s. But I honestly didn't think the OP did anything--besides his immature GTFO comment--to deserve abuse right off the bat.

So a few comments:
A) M3s are powerful cars and need to be driven with respect and restraint and if you don't it can get ugly in a hurry. That said, you can get going fast enough to kill someone in a Toyota Corolla, so my advice to any young driver about getting some real-world driving lessons is car-independent.
You might try Mercedes Benz Driving Academy, as well as the Tire Rack sponsored program, Street Survival. I think Master Drive may also have classes in So Cal. All are great.

B) The problem with an M3 is not that it's unreliable, just that it's high maintenance. These were once $60,000 cars, and just because you can buy one for a quarter of that doesn't mean that a valve adjustment is now 75% off too. If you can DIY some work that will help, but it seems to me that it's going to be hard to find a no-issues M3 for $15,000, and even if you did, you could easily spend $2-$3,000 a year on maintenance (or to look at it another way, like $250-$300 a month, which is almost another car payment.)
You have a better idea of just how strict your budget is, and whether your M5-driving parents might kick you some cash if an unexpected repair crops up.

C) You absolutely have to get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) on the car from a reputable indy garage that knows BMWs and preferably M cars. Nothing more expensive than a cheap car that has subframe damage, internal engine problems or a fried SMG transmission.

D) If you really only have $15,000, I guess I'd think about something like a newer 330 ZHP or even a plain 330 which you might buy for closer to $10 grand, and will be cheaper to insure, and cheaper to maintain and repair. If your parents would be willing to help you fund your M3, ask them if they'd like to adopt. I keep my room neat, my table manners are impeccable, and my college is already paid for. I could even bring some cute grandchildren in on the deal.

And you might think about proofreading your posts.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
choxor

My Ride: JDM
15k is not nearly enough to own one of these things.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Sxry666

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficinePanerai View Post
here is what happens when you have teens driving M cars

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/627851/all

Wow...this sounds something I would do without even knowing such a tragic accident happened.It gave me shivers when I read this. The m5 looks exactly the same as the one my family has. I honestly don't think it's the cars faul, its more of a attitude towards driving. Even if I brought a Honda Civic, I could still crash. I think im better of gettinv an m3 with atleast some good safety features than getting a 95 civic and being scared to die at 40 mph.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Sxry666

Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
Funny, I was the one who started a very popular thread about annoying teenagers buying M3s. But I honestly didn't think the OP did anything--besides his immature GTFO comment--to deserve abuse right off the bat.

So a few comments:
A) M3s are powerful cars and need to be driven with respect and restraint and if you don't it can get ugly in a hurry. That said, you can get going fast enough to kill someone in a Toyota Corolla, so my advice to any young driver about getting some real-world driving lessons is car-independent.
You might try Mercedes Benz Driving Academy, as well as the Tire Rack sponsored program, Street Survival. I think Master Drive may also have classes in So Cal. All are great.

B) The problem with an M3 is not that it's unreliable, just that it's high maintenance. These were once $60,000 cars, and just because you can buy one for a quarter of that doesn't mean that a valve adjustment is now 75% off too. If you can DIY some work that will help, but it seems to me that it's going to be hard to find a no-issues M3 for $15,000, and even if you did, you could easily spend $2-$3,000 a year on maintenance (or to look at it another way, like $250-$300 a month, which is almost another car payment.)
You have a better idea of just how strict your budget is, and whether your M5-driving parents might kick you some cash if an unexpected repair crops up.

C) You absolutely have to get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) on the car from a reputable indy garage that knows BMWs and preferably M cars. Nothing more expensive than a cheap car that has subframe damage, internal engine problems or a fried SMG transmission.

D) If you really only have $15,000, I guess I'd think about something like a newer 330 ZHP or even a plain 330 which you might buy for closer to $10 grand, and will be cheaper to insure, and cheaper to maintain and repair. If your parents would be willing to help you fund your M3, ask them if they'd like to adopt. I keep my room neat, my table manners are impeccable, and my college is already paid for. I could even bring some cute grandchildren in on the deal.

And you might think about proofreading your posts.
I appriciate your time to type all of this detailed info for me. As I thought, the m3 would be way to expansive to maintain for my tight budget. Having done DYI on other cars I feel pretty openminded on working on the m3. Right now I'm taking mechanic classes at a private school that I'm attend but still I think I would be better off driving a 330,350z, or rx8. Btw, can I get the link to your threat? Just curious to see it hah.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Chea

My Ride: 05 ///M
What about a e36 m3 very nice ones can be had for cheap
Old 02-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
15k is not nearly enough to own one of these things.

QFT

Not nearly enough.

It isn't a Honda. Look up how much good tires, brake pads and rotors cost for this car.

If your VANOS, subframe or SMG pump goes - prepare to dig deep.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
Sxry666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chea View Post
e36 m3s have a timeless design, but I think that e46 look alot better
Old 02-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
AmazingNutz
Banned User

My Ride: carpet
OP, get an e48 M3 if you can find it. It's rare but I'm pretty sure you can find a decent one for less than 18k, only 3k more than your budget. You'll get at least 70 more hp than the e46 M3 and its more reliable.

Sent from my G6
Old 02-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
Chea

My Ride: 05 ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxry666 View Post
e36 m3s have a timeless design, but I think that e46 look alot better
I know what you mean but the e36 is easy to work on and up keep would be a lot cheaper. Just something to consider.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
Ecko

Quote:
if you don't have anything useful to say then gtfo. Not trying to start an argument here.
I think what I said above is incredibly useful.

Here is my viewpoint.

I'm not much older than you, 21.
I've been driving since I was 15.
I am ALMOST CERTAIN that if I had been in an M-Power car, Evo, STI any of that ****. I would not be here today.

I used to be an absolute muppet on the roads, and I WANT to tell you this, because it's the nature of a teen. Every person I know (that was my age) that had a WRX crashed it.
One put his two of his mates in hospital for a month each, touch and go if they would live or not.

A first car should be safe and not fast. My first car was a BMW 01 318Ti. Little girls car, yep. Safe. Yep.

Still managed to get it to 120mph. I am thankful that my parents didn't sit me in a WRX/STI/Evo/M3 even though I wanted to SO badly.

Here's my useful input.

Get an M3 when you're a bit older.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
Ecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chea View Post
Deathtrap.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Quote:
I appriciate your time to type all of this detailed info for me. As I thought, the m3 would be way to expansive to maintain for my tight budget. Having done DYI on other cars I feel pretty openminded on working on the m3. Right now I'm taking mechanic classes at a private school that I'm attend but still I think I would be better off driving a 330,350z, or rx8. Btw, can I get the link to your threat? Just curious to see it hah.
Here's the link to the thread. I'm serious about what I said about proofreading.
A typo here or there happens, but here--and everywhere else--people judge you on your spelling and grammar and the care--or lack thereof--you put in to your writing. Here, at least, you are your post.

Good luck with the car, and really really really get some serious driving lessons. I wrote an article about driver's ed in an upcoming issue of Road & Track, and the stories and stats about teen accidents are sad and downright scary.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...295&highlight=
Old 02-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
Ecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52 View Post
Good luck with the car, and really really really get some serious driving lessons. I wrote an article about driver's ed in an upcoming issue of Road & Track, and the stories and stats about teen accidents are sad and downright scary.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...295&highlight=
Agree with this statement.
I did the BMW Driver Training here, planted me in an E90 320D M and had a blat around the racetrack with a pro driver, teaching different situations etc.

Good fun and invaluable!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
2002topasblueM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
OP, don't get an rx-8 unless its a manual. If you want something fun, I would suggest a Honda s2000 or maybe a manual rx-8. You could have plenty of fun in those cars and their low center of gravity makes them handle very well. The only thing with the rx-8 is the engine and transmission. The rotary design is great, and it puts out a good amount of power for its low displacement. However, after a while they start to bog down. So tune-ups are definitely a good idea. Some people never get tune ups or maintenance packages on their vehicles and it definitely shows in the performance department. So make sure you maintain it well if you decide to go that route. And the transmission, at least the automatic, is junk. The 4 speed automatic is flat out pathetic and poorly designed. Slow shifts and I definitely don't think that the lack of acceleration will sit well with you. So stick with manual if you go with an rx-8. Personally I think the Honda would be more fun, I say that even though I don't particularly like Japanese cars at all, any make. But I know a lot of people who like to track their s2000's and say they're great. And I'm very much into that lifestyle so when they say they're good for that reason, I will support it. Now onto the m3. Unless you have $5k on hand after you buy the car, fairly good mechanical abilities and a nice socket set, it may not be the best idea. I got my m3 when I was your age and don't get me wrong I love it more and more everyday. But you should know that I've put about $3.5k into it since I've owned it and I do all of the work myself. If I went through the dealer I would've easily spend 5 times that on repairs and maintenance. So my advice, before you buy one, make sure you find a very skilled Indy shop around you so you have somewhere to take it if you need to. Last thing is being mature. You have to respect the car. Not be scared of it, and not be overconfident. They're expensive to fix and unfortunately, they don't come with devices that keep cops from pulling you over. And trust me they absolutely love to pull you over when you're 18 driving an m3. I respect cops and have a lot of friends that are police officers but I'll tell you they will treat you like crap just because you're a kid in a fast car. Not all of them, but a good portion. Especially the young cops. My point is, you have to fight the urge. No matter what you're driving, there are always times where you want to race or just drive fast just because. And I'm not saying I don't. But just be aware of the consequences such as messing up your car, yourself and your driving record. My advice, go to a racetrack to get it out of your system. After that, you know what you and your car is capable of and you don't have to endanger yourself or others on public roads by testing it. So back to the decision, trust me I know first hand how expensive an m3 can be for kids our age, and the last thing you want is to be in debt when you're too young to be able to get yourself out without using your parents to bail you out. However, I don't regret getting my m3. There are days where I think that perhaps it was a bad investment, but as soon as I sit in the drivers seat it all goes away. I wouldn't trade my m3 for anything. It's been my dream car since I was 12 and I absolutely love it. So, knowing these things and hearing it from someone who literally was in the same boat as you last year, you should be able to make a pretty well educated decision. Good luck with everything
Old 02-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #20
Ecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002topasblueM3 View Post
OP, don't get an rx-8 unless its a manual. If you want something fun, I would suggest a Honda s2000 or maybe a manual rx-8. You could have plenty of fun in those cars and their low center of gravity makes them handle very well. The only thing with the rx-8 is the engine and transmission. The rotary design is great, and it puts out a good amount of power for its low displacement. However, after a while they start to bog down. So tune-ups are definitely a good idea. Some people never get tune ups or maintenance packages on their vehicles and it definitely shows in the performance department. So make sure you maintain it well if you decide to go that route. And the transmission, at least the automatic, is junk. The 4 speed automatic is flat out pathetic and poorly designed. Slow shifts and I definitely don't think that the lack of acceleration will sit well with you. So stick with manual if you go with an rx-8. Personally I think the Honda would be more fun, I say that even though I don't particularly like Japanese cars at all, any make. But I know a lot of people who like to track their s2000's and say they're great. And I'm very much into that lifestyle so when they say they're good for that reason, I will support it. Now onto the m3. Unless you have $5k on hand after you buy the car, fairly good mechanical abilities and a nice socket set, it may not be the best idea. I got my m3 when I was your age and don't get me wrong I love it more and more everyday. But you should know that I've put about $3.5k into it since I've owned it and I do all of the work myself. If I went through the dealer I would've easily spend 5 times that on repairs and maintenance. So my advice, before you buy one, make sure you find a very skilled Indy shop around you so you have somewhere to take it if you need to. Last thing is being mature. You have to respect the car. Not be scared of it, and not be overconfident. They're expensive to fix and unfortunately, they don't come with devices that keep cops from pulling you over. And trust me they absolutely love to pull you over when you're 18 driving an m3. I respect cops and have a lot of friends that are police officers but I'll tell you they will treat you like crap just because you're a kid in a fast car. Not all of them, but a good portion. Especially the young cops. My point is, you have to fight the urge. No matter what you're driving, there are always times where you want to race or just drive fast just because. And I'm not saying I don't. But just be aware of the consequences such as messing up your car, yourself and your driving record. My advice, go to a racetrack to get it out of your system. After that, you know what you and your car is capable of and you don't have to endanger yourself or others on public roads by testing it. So back to the decision, trust me I know first hand how expensive an m3 can be for kids our age, and the last thing you want is to be in debt when you're too young to be able to get yourself out without using your parents to bail you out. However, I don't regret getting my m3. There are days where I think that perhaps it was a bad investment, but as soon as I sit in the drivers seat it all goes away. I wouldn't trade my m3 for anything. It's been my dream car since I was 12 and I absolutely love it. So, knowing these things and hearing it from someone who literally was in the same boat as you last year, you should be able to make a pretty well educated decision. Good luck with everything
Interesting read, paragraphing would make it easier though.
Closed Thread