E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
Smile Good Day For My Glock! HSP/Grip Tape Content

Hey Everyone

So I was walking around the mall today buying scented candles when I decided it was time to do something for my manhood...

Lately I've been thinking about grip taping my Glock 19 but haven't actually gotten around to it. I've been looking a lot at the pre-cut grip tape kits online and was leaning towards that option because I hate when things don't look just *right*, downside though is they aren't that cheap for what it is. Anyways, I swung by Zumiez on a whim to see if they'd sell me some grip tape scraps for a couple bucks so I could try my hand at making my own. In the end, the really nice girl working actually just gave me a whole sheet of the stuff for free, way to go Zumiez!

When I got home I discovered my Haley Strategic/G-Code holster in the mailbox! Double WIN! I've been curious about appendix carry because i've heard so many good things about it and because I'm a skinny person who doesn't really like to 'dress to my gun' (I like slim fit shirts). For the last 3 years I've used a Comp-Tac MTAC holster which I LOVE. It's quite possibly the best holster for behind the hip (4-5 'o clock) carry IMHO. It's just not one suited to appendix carry. Another reason I got the holster was because I'm a big Travis Haley fan. I like his teaching style a lot and nearly all of the tips and things he recommends to shooters work really well for me. I figured that if his holster was anything like his teaching style (common sense mixed with science!) then this holster should work well for me.

Anyways.... as far as the grip tape goes... let me know what you think! I think it went extremely well. The grip piece is almost not even noticeable in the pics as it's cut to the Glock 'textures' shape. The grit of the tape is great too, looks like Glock chose it, IMO. The best part - the gun feels great and the whole thing was FREE!

Mini Review of the HSP/G-Code Holster:

Design: The 'FUZZ' all over it is actually really nice. It keeps the holster from sliding around IWB and ensures that when you tug on the gun, you only get gun... not some terrible gun/holster combination/catastrophe. The clips have a bit of negative cant to them so it almost 'presses' the gun into your body. It's not noticeable when concealing in terms of 'feel' but I think it makes a slight difference in terms of conceal-ability. I also really like the integrated spare mag carrier, neat idea and well executed. It flexes significantly so it's not like you're carrying a kydex board in your waist, but at the same time it does add a little bulk so personally, I've decided to leave it off (I do carry a spare mag on myself though).

Fit and Finish: Top notch. /end

Really though, it's outstanding. All of the edges are smoothed down to perfection, there's not a sharp point/edge on this thing. All of the hardware is quality and the whole thing feels really solid.

Comfort: It's super comfy. I like it just about equally to the MTAC for behind the hip carry. Re holstering is super easy as it's all kydex and not a blend of leather/kydex like my MTAC. That being said, if ALL OUT COMFORT is your end game, the MTAC may be better suited to you as the leather has a little more give and the wider clips make it feel better at 'weight distributing'. I don't want to say too much about appendix carry comfort as I've never carried that way before but so far it seems just fine. Time will tell...

Concealabilitahhh: I would say it hides a Glock 19 behind my hip just as well as the MTAC. Virtually the exact same depth and cant. As far as appendix carry, it conceals extraordinarily well, better than behind the hip IMO. As mentioned before, the negative cant clips help a bit as well.

Anyways... on to pics of the holsters/grip tape job.

Last edited by dfjaws; 02-14-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360883318
dfjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Wont belong before you peel that crap off.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
^ Yup. Mine lasted less than a month.

Last edited by Serbonze; 02-14-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360888656
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
dfjaws

If it lasts 5 minutes it'll be worth it, it was free after all. Also, I've got a huge sheet of the stuff, I'll just make more. The only tricky piece was the grip piece but I made a template so I could cut more easily.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
It's not about needing more, it's about hating it so much that you peel it off.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
were you having problems holding on to your glock? Maybe get one of those little hand strength trainers
Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
Wont belong before you peel that crap off.
I was thinking the same thing.
GasKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
The thought of that small square piece rubbing when unholstering makes me cringe.
GasKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
dfjaws

So far I like it. Maybe I'll change a little of it around but I don't see myself wanting to remove the top piece and the right side grip piece at any point. We'll see though.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Steeple it. Just dont go overboard, it looks like shit when the whole gun (or parts you never touch) are steepled. The smaller the steeple the better, we use a hot needle attached to a wood burner.

23 cut down to a 27 steepled

tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:31 AM   #11
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
I never found a use for grip tape. Tried it once on my XD-45 and off it came.