E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Badkarma8485

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325XI
Hooked up jumper cables incorrectly

Hello everyone. Hate to admit it but I was working in the dark (in sub zero temperatures) up here in Northern Minnesota and accidently hooked up my jumper cables incorrectly. Have never done this before EVER until now. I noticed the sparks and smoke and quickly unhooked the cables but it was too late. I do not see any visable damage to the vehicle or battery itself, but I cannot get the vehicle to start. I have check many fuses pertaining to starting the vehilce and havent found a blown one. The battery is charging and holding its charge as well. The dash, radio, display, lights, etc all are working normal. The vehicle will only "click" when I attempt to start-wont turn over at all. Does anyone know what else I should look for? I have other vehicles so I havent been driving this one since it happened (about a month ago). Worked on it in the cold all afternoon and cant get any results. Even ran some heat on the engine block and battery to warm it up (its outside in my driveway). The car is a 2002 BMW 325xi. Would be battery be toast after 3 seconds? Alternator? Starter? Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Badkarma8485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
jerseyzillest

My Ride: 325 CI
Auto or manual? If manual try giving it a push start and see what happens.

^Taken with iPhone^
:rofl:
jerseyzillest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well you could have done some damage but...

it sounds to me the battery doesn't have enough charge to start it still if its clicking. i would jump start it again but the right way. or likely replace the battery.

the Alternator charges the battery and/or runs the car after its started, so the alt has nothing to do with it not starting.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
There is probably a fuse you blew
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
I believe there are two cables running from the battery. A small one to supply almost everying on the car, and then a large one to hook into the starter and alternator supply. Sounds like you're not getting voltage to the large cable.
Test the voltage at the large cable on the back of the alternator to confirm my theory.
Could be there is a large fuse on this large cable.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
There are also fusible links located behind/above the fuse panel in the glove box that require a screwdriver to change and there is an explosive disconnect on the big positive cable from the battery to the starter. One or more of these could be blown. You also could have blown some electronics modules in the car. It is not uncommon for expensive modules to blow first to protect the 25 cent fuse.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
There is, I'm almost certain, a large fuse...50-100 amp hiding somewhere. This has happened before.

One thing...were you jumping from the trunk or hood? I don't know where this fuse is, but someone will know. Not in e-box, I don't think. Might be behind the fuse panel...but hang on...I'll see what Bentley says...

brb

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
dmax

Okay, main harness fuse...200 amp...behind liner by battery...little wire feeds into one side of the fuse...main cable keeps going past. Bet it's that.

There are large fuses behind fuse panel...see 102 (80 amp) B+ term/DME mail relay/ECM/Fuse pack in e-box (hmmm...see if you have power there...if not...could be this, and 105 (50 amp) ignition switch

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
If you're getting a click, start by charging/jumping the battery. Click indicates starter circuit is still intact, which means no blown fuse.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
If you're getting a click, start by charging/jumping the battery. Click indicates starter circuit is still intact, which means no blown fuse.
Not so fast. Two sources for power to starter. One directly from the battery for the motor, and the other from the ignition switch for the solenoid.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Likely you have a bad starter, you were obviously using jumper cables because the engine would not start before the cables were hooked up backwards.

For some reason the xi cars seem to eat starters more often than other cars and the starter is a real PITA to replace.

Try to get a hammer and bang on the starter, however, the starter is very tough to reach in these xi cars.

If you get the car started, make sure your alternator is not damage and is charging correctly.

Most components in the car have protection diodes that will cause a fuse to blow if reverse polarity happens. If your battery was fully charged, likely you did not get a chance to actually damage anything if you were quick to remove the backwards cables.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
lcoleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Not so fast. Two sources for power to starter. One directly from the battery for the motor, and the other from the ignition switch for the solenoid.
I'm aware of that, yes. The click is from the solenoid engaging, which means the ign switch is getting power, which means EWS is getting power, which I believe means the CAN Bus is getting power. Please feel free to correct me with wiring diagrams, I am always open to learning.

The fusible link shouldn't be blown from a brief short.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
Stinger9

Quote:
I'm aware of that, yes. The click is from the solenoid engaging, which means the ign switch is getting power, which means EWS is getting power, which I believe means the CAN Bus is getting power. Please feel free to correct me with wiring diagrams, I am always open to learning.

The fusible link shouldn't be blown from a brief short.
Well, we don't know the facts yet, but we can discuss can't we!
I think all your conclusions in your first paragraph are correct.

But you say a brief short. Technically this is not a short, but connecting one battery in series with another with low resistance heavy cables. That would give the potential for an immediate pulse of upwards of 500A! Takes a fuse out in milliseconds.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
lcoleman

Haha, I had "connect two batteries in series" then erased it. Technically it is a short, because the circuit is closed! The first pos > neg connection was in series. The next was a direct/dead short.

Perhaps the best course of action for OP to to check continuity between pos battery and the underhood jump terminal if possible. I can't remember the exact location of fusible link, but I believe it's between those two.

If not, just charge/jump and try again.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
Alex323Ci

i have already given the next step in diagnosing what is wrong. you're in the cold in MN so im inclined to think it's still the battery. although you say it's charging and holding a charge are you sure? just because the light and dash go on doesn't mean it has enough CCA to start the car. a low battery will light the dash lights.

next for those thinking it's a fuseable link or the battery cable fuse, if this is burned out tell me how the car is getting power for the dash, radio, lights and display??

the clicking sound is the solenoid for the starter. it can either be not enough power to start it or next would be the starter is faulty. if doing a proper/correct jump start doesn't get the car started and you're able to push start it (if manual) then it leads that the starter is likely the culprit.

do things simple and in order of likely suspects before doing other hunts for possible reasons. right now that is eliminating the power source for the car to start. Battery.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
dmax

Alex is right...charging battery is best. If jumping, keep them on longer...rev donor car for 5 mins, and if it starts, don't stop for about 30 mins...it'll take some time to restore the battery.

A recent set

Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
lcoleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
next for those thinking it's a fuseable link or the battery cable fuse, if this is burned out tell me how the car is getting power for the dash, radio, lights and display??
Because the fusible link is not on that circuit. This has already been covered.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #18
Stinger9

Quote:
+1 go back to post #10

There are consequences to not reading the thread.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #19
Alex323Ci

Quote:
i'm talking about the battery cable link. it's made to stop power.
i'm not talking about the starter.
Power first, then start hunting for other things people.

READ POST 3

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 02-16-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #20
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Uhm, op does all your interior&trunk lights turn on?

This happen to me in texas and weeks if not days when giving someone a jump start and cable miss connected for few sec 2-5

Some reason: battery leaked : starter went out so did the alternator few weeks after the starter got replaced

Moral of self experience story : if you do not know how old Battery or when last replaced starter & atlernator plus/ bearing

Id just replace it all. $100 battery ( 3/5 year warranty )

Try bmaparts.com other parts:
2cent
sent from phone to bimmer app
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote